Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #5,341 of 6,061
What would you recommend?
Honestly Saga is quite competent for the money and IMO better than Vidar. Don't bother with expensive tubes either, they didn't do much to change the overall sound.
Saga is more transparent than Freya and the remote is a nice feature.

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #5,342 of 6,061
I've heard good things about the Music Hall a15.3 for the price.
I see one on amazon for around that price. I'll do some research on it.
Honestly Saga is quite competent for the money and IMO better than Vidar. Don't bother with expensive tubes either, they didn't do much to change the overall sound.
Saga is more transparent than Freya and the remote is a nice feature.

So I could use the Saga as a standalone without needing an AMP? I have a Emotiva Bas X and an Audio GD R2R 11

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #5,343 of 6,061
You could use the R2R11 as a preamp for the Vidar, just make sure you have it set up for variable line out or RIP your ears and speakers. Probably the easiest option to try.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #5,344 of 6,061
You could use the R2R11 as a preamp for the Vidar, just make sure you have it set up for variable line out or RIP your ears and speakers. Probably the easiest option to try.

I'd be using this for the HE-6. I've never had to use anything other than a USB mode on the R2R so I'm not exactly sure what additional wires I would need to connect it to something else like the Vidar. And I'm assuming I wouldn't need the HE-Adapter?

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #5,345 of 6,061
So your chain would be R2R11 >RCA connectors > Vidar > speaker tap to 4pin XLR >4pin XLR to HE-6.
Make sure you put the R2R11 in preamp mode (P) set low gain at first (L) and turn the volume down all the way. Connect HE-6 and slowly turn up the volume, preferably with HE-6 off your head just to be safe. If it makes sound then put them on and enjoy!
When you're done, disconnect HE-6 at the 4pin XLR adapter then turn off Vidar and then R2R11.
Just to double check, you haven't opened up the R2R11 and moved jumpers? If not, it should still be in variable output mode for the preamp which is what you want.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #5,346 of 6,061
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #5,350 of 6,061
so with a new production ss amp is there any need to add output resistors? such as vidar or audio-gd amps.

also is it normal to leave headphones plugged into a power amp? I asume speaker rules apply where you shouldn't plugg/unplugged while powered on

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back