1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by milosz, Dec 23, 2010.
First

Back
348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357
359 360 361 362 363 364 365
Next

Last
  1. iliketowrap19
    Do you have any experience with them?

2. ambchang
    I just got the sansui Au-11000 to replace the Au-717. While the 717 was a great price of gear, the 11000a just sounds cleaner with more thump, especially at higher volumes. The 717 sounds warmer to my ears but in comparison sounds muddy.

That said, neither were restored, even though the 717 was serviced around 2 years ago and checked to still be performing within spec (I just took the techs word for it). I am planning to have the 11ka restored but am also contemplating whether to restore the 717 before selling it.

3. MadSounds
    I would definatly go with a nice vintage over anything like the topping. it may be a bit more money up front and take up more space, but it will probably hold its value in years to come.

analog eq is nice to play around with, I think i'd end up using digital eq anyway (minimal), but would make for a good head to head.

It would be nice to have a reciver with switchable outputs, so you could go from speakers to headphones without going behind the unit. a risky feture for the careless though.

4. wuwhere Contributor
    No I don't. It looks well built and in great shape for its age.

5. audiophilehe400
    My friend just let me borrow with the option to buy a Yamaha A27. This thing sounds great with the he6 from the headphone out. No hissing and tons of power from the headphone output. I reccomend trying it.

6. iliketowrap19
    97653CDE-F17E-4C5F-8DDE-03FC0B5E731A.jpeg Very confused on what I’m supposed to do here

7. wuwhere Contributor
    Those are spring loaded speaker wire connectors at the back of your receiver. You have to insert twisted bare wires into them. The holes are not large. You may want to clean them first before inserting the wires.

I wonder if those banana plugs can fit through the speaker wire connector holes?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  8. ufospls2
    Hi Guys,

I'm on the hunt for the right amp for my HE6se (for the time being.) I can't figure out how much I should spend, or what I should go for. I have a 4pinXLR to banana adapter coming, so I will be going straight from the speaker taps. The ones I am looking at currently are the Krell KAV-400XI, Simaudio Moon Neo 250i, Emotiva A-300, and just a cheapo receiver from craigslist. The Krell seems to be well reviewed here for the HE6, but with 37db of gain, and no resistors, I'm a bit worried about hiss. It seems one or two people have run into his, and some haven't. Any idea why? The 250i is less powerful (50w into 8ohms) but also has high gain (I think 37db again.) I would be paying the same for the Krell and Moon. No clue which would sound better with the HE6se.

The Emotiva A-300 has less gain (30db) and I could pick one up for not too much money. This seems like it might be a good idea for dipping my toes into speaker amps, but I might be wasting my time and money, and would be better to go for something a bit higher end, like the Krell or Moon.

And of course, I could just pick up an old $80 receiver and see how it goes.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

9. Bonesy Jonesy
    Have never tried the amps you quote in your post ufospls2. The sound though from my Chord Electronics Mezzo 140 (140W / channel) is amazing through the HE6's with mo hiss at all. Just a nice black background when the music stops. Chord Electronics used to make a smaller Mezzo in the Choral series i.e. a Mezzo 50 (50W / channel) and a Mezzo 75 (75W / channel) which have now been replaced by a new power amp in the Choral range. There are some Mezzo 140's and 50's for sale on the UK ebay site at a fraction of the cost to the new price. I have three Mezzo 140's and the first two I bought secondhand 4 years ago and had no problems with them.

10. ufospls2
    Thanks for the reply. I definitely wouldn't mind checking out the Mezzo's, but there are none for sale locally sadly. The 140's seem to be way too much for my current budget, but a Mezzo 50 might work well. They seem pretty rare on the used market though.

11. Wildcatsare1
    While not an HE6, I am getting great results amping my Abyss 1266 (original) with a Krell S300i with excellent results.

12. Bonesy Jonesy
    Hi ufospls2,
    I use HiFiShark to search for second hand hifi equipment around the world. I have bought quite a bit of equipment over the last few years from different people around the world with no problems at all and the equipment being in exceptional condition.

Here is a search link for a Chord Mezzo amp:- https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Chord+Mezzo

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  13. Jozurr
    The first watt J2 is an exceptional amp and pairing with the HE-6. Multiple users have reported the same here. I've also compared it to amps like AHB2 and prefer the AHB2. If you want a cheaper amp, the anthem MCA 20 is a very good amp for them as well.

14. LarsHP
    I haven't heard the amps you mention, but would like to summarize my impression about what seems to be working best with HE6:
    Super transparent, highly resolving amps with a little warmth and very, very low output impedance.

It's not about getting extremely powerful speaker amps, but getting enough power (around 50W in 8 Ohms will surely do) and the rest is basically about quality.

15. jarnopp
    I don’t know your budget, but others here have used the Odyssey Khartago with good results:
    http://odysseyaudio.com/products-khartago-stereo.html

I’ve personally used it’s big brother the Stratos and it’s very clean and detailed, so the Khartago should also sound pretty good. I’ve not heard the A300 but have used the A100 and it’s nothing special. I also agree with LarsHP that you don’t necessarily need a speaker amp. Don’t underestimate how/what you feed to the amp, also. I assume you’ll have a preamp or at least a passive volume control?

First

Back
348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357
359 360 361 362 363 364 365
Next

Last