Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Feb 26, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #4,942 of 6,061
Exactly what I said. A single ended cable can be used with the HE-6. It won't "blow up the Lyr"

Gottcha.... I misinterpreted what you were saying.  Hadn't a clue what taxiq was trying to say...

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #4,944 of 6,061
  Simple, Lyr 2 with HE 6 is a bad idea.

Sorry, I don't understand the "blow the amp up" (sic) comment.  I've never heard the Lyr 2, so can't comment one way or the other on synergy.

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #4,945 of 6,061
So i'm currently rocking an audio-gd NOS 11 and the LCD-3f. While I like the sound overall, its too played back at times. I'm hoping the He-6 gives the extras treble extension and less warmth to sound great with the somewhat darker DAC.

So I hope this thread doesn't mind revisited an old debate with a new twist. I hear the audio-gd 11/9 do a decent job driving the he-6, but that speaker taps are "much" better. for some one who hasn't heard the glory of and he-6 from a power amp, will driving it with an audio-gd headphone amp be enough to do the HE 6 justice. (does it have a shot at outperforming my LCD3 in this setup)

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #4,946 of 6,061
I find the he6 far superior in terms of tone for me.  so the answer is yes, I believe it will outshine the lcd3, But, you would get better results with a good speaker amp.  imho.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #4,947 of 6,061
So i'm currently rocking an audio-gd NOS 11 and the LCD-3f. While I like the sound overall, its too played back at times. I'm hoping the He-6 gives the extras treble extension and less warmth to sound great with the somewhat darker DAC.

So I hope this thread doesn't mind revisited an old debate with a new twist. I hear the audio-gd 11/9 do a decent job driving the he-6, but that speaker taps are "much" better. for some one who hasn't heard the glory of and he-6 from a power amp, will driving it with an audio-gd headphone amp be enough to do the HE 6 justice. (does it have a shot at outperforming my LCD3 in this setup)

I owned LCD-3C and HE-6 at the same time. Driven with my Master 11. I ended up selling the LCD-3C as in my experience the HE-6 was just superior. Good stereo amplifier may sound better than the M11/NOS11 but HE-6 out of M11 already outperforms LCD-3C and LCD-2F. I haven't heard the newer LCD-3F but I doubt it makes any difference.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #4,948 of 6,061
Steve Guttenberg in his review of the J2 powering the HE-6 mentions: " My only reservation was the bass. Other amps generated gutsier drive and more low-end oomph than the J2 did with the HE-6."

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/first-watt-j2-power-amplifier/

Anyone knows what amp he prefers more or if anyone owns the J2 can confirm it compared to their other amps etc?

At this point Im looking for the absolute best amp to power the HE-6 under $5K.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4,949 of 6,061
Steve Guttenberg in his review of the J2 powering the HE-6 mentions: " My only reservation was the bass. Other amps generated gutsier drive and more low-end oomph than the J2 did with the HE-6."

Anyone knows what amp he prefers more or if anyone owns the J2 can confirm it compared to their other amps etc?

Check out the Hegel amps. I have a H2 and it works great. A bit brighter freq response but such great musical flow and beautiful thumping bass.

I'm also going to audition an F7 this week if I can.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #4,950 of 6,061

Steve Guttenberg should be ignored for most audio advice. He falls into the category as many other reviewers on big sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back