Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jan 2, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4,921 of 6,061

Most speaker amps have a noise floor which would be utterly unsuitable for running headphones. Luckily, the HE-6 has a low enough sensitivity that we can't hear the noise floor.

Not sure I agree with this - I run my Denon LA7000's out of my speaker amps (all vintage Pioneers) and hear nothing but black background in soft passages or between songs. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #4,922 of 6,061
Or perhaps you just happen to have a good set of amps with you. I've tried a slew of random amps and a lot of them are too noisy to run headphones directly off the speaker taps without an L-pad in front.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #4,923 of 6,061
Indeed, it really depends on the speaker amp. Many have such high gain the background is audible with many headphones or with very efficient speakers. It can help if the speaker amp has selectable gain levels.

But there are also some exceptionally quiet speaker amps.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #4,924 of 6,061

But there are also some exceptionally quiet speaker amps.

*cough*AHB2*cough*
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #4,925 of 6,061

*cough*AHB2*cough*
biggrin.gif

Even with 2 as monos on low gain I don't hear any background with the HE-6s and DAC preamp volume maxed out. I did not try higher gain settings yet with 2 of them, well because I didn't need to, even with speakers.

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #4,926 of 6,061
Anything different with the sound now that you're running the Benchmark amps as monos? In theory the distortion products (vanishingly low as it is) would be even lower, but is there a sonic difference?

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4,927 of 6,061
I am still comparing, only with speakers until now. The stereo separation is audibly improved. Also better focus, stage solidity and layering. It all sounds a bit more precise. Maybe these are related. I am very pleased so far.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #4,928 of 6,061
So I got a Sansui AU-717, all original parts (not yet recapped) specifically to drive the HE-6.

At first, I didn't have the speaker out to XLR adapter, so I used the phone out, and it was already significantly better than what I had before (Geek Pulse Infinity).  The sense of authority, and extension was significantly better (the Geek Pulse Infinity was a phenomenal DAC, but just doesn't have the power to drive the HE6, and I am still using it as a source to feed the Sansui).

Finally got the time to put together the speaker to XLR adapter this week, and the results are phenomenal.  The weight of each note is pronounced, the spacing of the instruments, though still not the greatest, is significantly better.  The extension, clarity and realism is just so much more.

Not sure what the next steps are: Should I recap the 717 (will cost a pretty penny) or upgrade to something like the 9900, 11000, or the 919?  Choices.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,929 of 6,061
I sold my M11 since I don't have a use for the powerful headamp section anymore. "Downgraded" to a cambridge azur 851D, waiting for it to arrive. Just for the kicks I have my laptop headphone out directly hooked up to the J2 through a passive attenuator I had lying around. The HE6s sound so terrible lol, the bass has vanished. Can't wait for the Cambridge to arrive.  

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #4,930 of 6,061
  So I got a Sansui AU-717, all original parts (not yet recapped) specifically to drive the HE-6.

At first, I didn't have the speaker out to XLR adapter, so I used the phone out, and it was already significantly better than what I had before (Geek Pulse Infinity).  The sense of authority, and extension was significantly better (the Geek Pulse Infinity was a phenomenal DAC, but just doesn't have the power to drive the HE6, and I am still using it as a source to feed the Sansui).

Finally got the time to put together the speaker to XLR adapter this week, and the results are phenomenal.  The weight of each note is pronounced, the spacing of the instruments, though still not the greatest, is significantly better.  The extension, clarity and realism is just so much more.

Not sure what the next steps are: Should I recap the 717 (will cost a pretty penny) or upgrade to something like the 9900, 11000, or the 919?  Choices.

that 717 should be great with the he6.  if your going to use it just for the he6, I wouldnt bother with upgrading to one of the bigger amps.  the 717 should drive them quite well.  the others would be overkill.  recaping is an option, but only if you have the money for it.  I'd enjoy it as is personally.  recap if a problem develops.  

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #4,931 of 6,061
I am thinking of eventually moving to a speaker system and use the 717 as well. Just phenomenal sound. I think 80w should be enough for most speakers too. You are right, maybe I'll save up for recapping.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #4,932 of 6,061
I have connect the HE-400 out of the headphone out of the Sansui Au-7700 it is so better than some headphone amp  that i forget that headphone amp. exist... I have tried with the speakers out but the difference is not so big, and it is easier with the volume pot, hence i run them with the headphone out.... The greatest difference came from the sorbothane mod.   
beerchug.gif

The sansui Au-717 and the 7700 are two between some others of gems Sansui amplifier...I recomend a recapping...I have send mine for that and the result are very good... This kind  of amp at this price exist no more , all in all mine cost me 200 bucks recapping included, bargain of the century for me.. The sound of this amp annihilate my other amplifier totally... 

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #4,934 of 6,061
Went to a meet yesterday, and someone had the McIntosh 2505, and man that combo was magic.  That McIntosh was serviced, and it just sounds divine.

I am thinking of recapping my Sansui AU717 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back