Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Mar 12, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #4,966 of 6,061
There is a few stark contrasts between the two

The F7 has 30 watts into 4 ohm & has a low 0.08 ohms output, which usually means a low noise floor.
The F1J only has 7 watts into 4 ohm & a very high 60 ohms output.

I think there are many differences. jelt2359 put it well when he said Nelson Pass made each First Watt amp to be a class leader in its own niche. I just meant that I hope I enjoy my version of First Watt as well as he does his F7.

Maybe some day I'll have a chance to try a different First Watt, maybe even an F7, but I think I'll be hunting down other things before that. Namely a new source~

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #4,967 of 6,061
Congrats to you too! If the F1J is anything like the F7 you're in for a treat. How did you decide on the F1J?

I honestly wasn't expecting to buy it on the spot. It was that amazing.

Glad you found a 4-screw version. These, the HD800, and the Code-X continue to be my go-to headphones- at any price.

Did you not like the Utopia? Also, thanks for the impressions on the F7.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #4,968 of 6,061
Mar 28, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #4,969 of 6,061
Hi, what amps can you recommend me, that have a "regular" headphone amp size.
Speaker amps or very big headphone amps like the master 9 are just too big for my desk and I am not very happy with my current solution, where the speaker amp sits on the floor.
Currently the cheapest amp, where I know from personal experience, that it has enough power, is the ifi iCAN Pro. 
Has anyone a cheaper recommendation? (I tried the ifi iCAN SE and it is just way behind speaker amps in terms of sound quality)

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #4,970 of 6,061
Someone PMed me to compare them, so I took my Hegel H20 on a head to head against the F7. Here was my message to him:

The Hegel is by far the more exciting amp. Typically amps portray sound in two ways. One, they focus on what's there- emphasise the bass, emphasise the treble- you get the drift. The Hegel does this, bringing the sound into the room with you. Want to headbang to some mind-shattering EDM? The Hegel is tight-rope taut, explosive, like the best House dance club. It's incredible as a rock-out, balls to the wall, fun amp. But just like any good club, the Hegel comes with a bit of a hangover. There's always the nagging feeling that... eh? Is this a bit bright?

The F7 is more balanced. The bass sits side by side with the other frequencies like good friends on a camping trip. The bass is not recessed and weak, mind- it's just not a mind**** like the Hegel. The sound on the F7 is also more laid-back. The combination of that is that you always feel you are magically whisked away to where the music had originated, rather than the music being in the room with you, tickling your toes as you lie by the fireplace. (This, 'whisked away', btw, is the second way that amps protray sound in my book). The F7 also portrays the best type of laidback, bringing an effortless type of laidback that is very musical and never soft. Somehow the whole combination works great, and it never ever sounds lean. For example, on wind instruments and cymbals the Hegel sometimes sounds like an overaged foie-gras- vivid and splashy. The F7 on the other hand is like a textured chicken drumstick- you'll hear the harmonic bones, and you'll also taste the beautiful meat around the core. Both come together. The F7 comes across as detail combined with body and tone.

The two both have great flow, but they do it very differently. The Hegel sounds like an overzealous teen, a rebel without a cause, raring to go-go-go. On the other hand the F7 is like a fine, matured wine. It sits back, relaxes, and seems to say, don't believe I have enough power? Just watch me bust it all out without breaking a single drop of sweat! Indeed, it *never* breaks a sweat especially compared to the 100-or-nothing Hegel, but that's either a boon or a bane depending on your preferences. Both also have great soundstages, though the Hegel is always a bit edgier with instruments, whereas the F7 is always trying to sound as natural as it can. In fact, the Hegel can sound black and white in comparison- music-less parts of the soundstage turn pitch black while mixing with vivid white be-musiced ones, whereas the F7 is like a hundred shades of grey. You can see the whole stage consistently being recreated all around you; ever-present, ever nuanced, so nothing ever 'disappears' when you know there should be at least some subtle sonic cues there. The downshot? Less vividness.

In summary, if you prefer something a bit less bright, something more natural, go for the F7 and don't look back. It is simply incredible in this. And I want to make sure I make this point properly- it is not a sound that you'll sit back and think, 'man, that's really lacking in punch'. Like I said, it's really balanced. You won't find anything lacking, but if that knockout sensation is the only thing you cared about, then that's impossible to come from any balanced-sounding amp. If you primarily listened to EDM, bass, and want to always be rocking out to exciting stuff, though? Get the Hegel.

All this was with my Chord Dave as dac and preamp.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #4,971 of 6,061

Speaker amps or very big headphone amps like the master 9 are just too big for my desk and I am not very happy with my current solution, where the speaker amp sits on the floor.

Currently the cheapest amp, where I know from personal experience, that it has enough power, is the ifi iCAN Pro. 

Has anyone a cheaper recommendation? (I tried the ifi iCAN SE and it is just way behind speaker amps in terms of sound quality)

I think the violectric v281 is not bad but it ain't cheap. And I'd still rather go with a speaker amp. With the he6 it's possible since I have a rather long adaptor for xlr to pigtails and so whereever I put the amp I can use it with all my planars.

Oh, my he6 amp also is used for all my other headphones these days- Abyss, code-x, etc etc

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #4,972 of 6,061

No. I've yet to see a small amp solution for the he6. I doubt the ifi would do either. You would likely need to put out some serious bread to find a small footprint powerfull amp. I've just never seen one.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #4,973 of 6,061
The iCAN Pro offers 20V output power; thats 8 watt @ 50 ohm.

I could also listen to the iCAN Pro on 2 occasions and I never had the feeling, that I was missing out in comparison to my amps at home.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #4,974 of 6,061
No. I've yet to see a small amp solution for the he6. I doubt the ifi would do either. You would likely need to put out some serious bread to find a small footprint powerfull amp. I've just never seen one.

The iFi Pro iCan will absolutely drive the HE-6 with authority. The Wells Milo does a terrific job as well. I'd say those two are a cut above all the other headphone amps I've tried it with (with HE-6, specifically).

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #4,975 of 6,061
  The iCAN Pro offers 20V output power; thats 8 watt @ 50 ohm.

I could also listen to the iCAN Pro on 2 occasions and I never had the feeling, that I was missing out in comparison to my amps at home.

I went and looked at the iCan.  This is not the unit I was thinking of.  Ignore my comment.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,976 of 6,061
I had the iFi iCAN Pro for a couple weeks, and while it certainly has power, it was not the most refined with the HE-6.
I had the Neurochrome several weeks as well, and it wasn't quite as high on power as the iFi, but had better control and resolution.

Tomayto tomahto.

I still maintain the Bryston 2B is the best value in its price bracket, but it's still kinda big (but a lot thinner than other speaker amps)

You might consider some compact class D amps if you really want to reduce size. In the beginning of my HE-6 journey, I was using a NuForce Icon amp which was actually quite good (better than a Topping amp and smaller). Move up to an Ncore amp if you want to spend some money.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #4,977 of 6,061
Has someone compared the Audio GD NFB-1 Amp directly with a speaker amp?
I listened to it at a head fi meet, where I could not compare it directly, so a good judgment is not easy. (But I had the feeling, that it was still missing something)

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #4,978 of 6,061
  Has someone compared the Audio GD NFB-1 Amp directly with a speaker amp?
I listened to it at a head fi meet, where I could not compare it directly, so a good judgment is not easy. (But I had the feeling, that it was still missing something)

I had an NFB-10ES (similar amp) and found the M9/M11 amp to be a decent step up, and now I'm using an M3 speaker amp and it is a pretty large jump in SQ.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #4,979 of 6,061

You could look at a stereo version of a class D speaker amp or some version of a Hypex Ncore amp. Those are all quite small, but have serious watts on tap. 

The coin for a Benchmark AHB2 is up there ($3000), but several people in this thread have given it high praise and even one went out and got a second so that he could run them in bridged mono mode. 

For me, I also just have a long headphone cable connecting to a speaker tap pigtail that comes around front of my amp. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #4,980 of 6,061
I just bought a Rega Brio-R for my HE-6. When I recieve it, I will post my impressions. It's an integrated with a relatively small footprint: 22cm wide and 32cm deep (and 8cm high).

(Edit: added photo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back