Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jul 20, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #4,666 of 6,061
  Thanks for your elaborate answer. Kind of unusual to prefer the tube+ and SS as second to the tube mode though, imho. Since I found the difference between tube and tube+ quite subtle on a HD800.

How is it unusual? It's a completely subjective preference. This is generally the order in which I prefer them across the board, all other things being equal. Hybrid offers some of solid state's incisiveness, but does so without feeling too dry (to my ears). YMMV.

I do agree with your assessment that the differences are quite subtle.

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #4,667 of 6,061

Interesting. How did you find it compared to your liquid crimson?

I mean, in general, the Liquid Crimson destroys it. With the HE-6 specifically, I think the iCAN pro is the much better choice. The iCan offers more power, control, body and impact on the HE-6.

The Liquid Crimson is decent with the HE-6, but not great - it is much more impressive with the HD800, T1, Omni, Ether and HE1000. It is arguably the best amp overall for the HE1000 (a point with which several people at both Hifiman and Cavalli agree).

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #4,668 of 6,061

With the HE-6 specifically, I think the iCAN pro is the much better choice. The iCan offers more power, control, body and impact on the HE-6.

Interesting. Would you say it's the best amp you've *ever* heard with the HE-6?

I've enjoyed the HE-6 from the Cavalli Liquid Glass and Woo WA5 - the iCan Pro is at a good price point if it's comparable to those.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #4,669 of 6,061
Interesting. Would you say it's the best amp you've *ever* heard with the HE-6?

I've enjoyed the HE-6 from the Cavalli Liquid Glass and Woo WA5 - the iCan Pro is at a good price point if it's comparable to those.

Tough call, it's not like I've ever had them all lined up before. I think my favorite was on a DNA Stratus owned by one of the Chicago meet bros, but that is EXTREMELY tube-dependent, from what understand. I have heard a lot of people haven't had much success with that combo (because somebody tries to shout me down every time I mention it) so buyer beware.

I like the Questyle CMA800R monoblocks with it, for sure. The Cavalli Liquid Tungsten is really killer with the HE-6 as well.

I haven't tried as many speaker amps as some of these guys though, and I'm sure the Krell and Pass Labs stuff is probably where it is at. Maybe someday. For now, I've focused on getting my HD800 setup right, and let me tell you, I've built it up to a point where it sounds absolutely insane. So I'm pretty content at the moment.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #4,674 of 6,061
True that, you also need the 800P pre-amp for left and right channel volume matching. Insanity!

I mean, not really. People were matching them without the preamp before it came out. It's an expensive convenience, but I was under the impression we were talking about absolute sound here, not dollar for dollar value. Even then, you can have a used pair of the non-gold edition for under $2k. For $1,800 used, it's clean controlled and spacious.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #4,675 of 6,061
I mean, not really. People were matching them without the preamp before it came out. It's an expensive convenience, but I was under the impression we were talking about absolute sound here, not dollar for dollar value. Even then, you can have a used pair of the non-gold edition for under $2k. For $1,800 used, it's clean controlled and spacious.

I'm a big fan of the Questyle sound, that's why I have a CMA800i. However for the price of the mentioned Questyle stack you should question if it isn't more wise to purchase a Pass INT-150. Not the cheapest either, but you have the opportunity to drive speakers as well.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #4,676 of 6,061
I'm a big fan of the Questyle sound, that's why I have a CMA800i. However for the price of the mentioned Questyle stack you should question if it isn't more wise to purchase a Pass INT-150. Not the cheapest either, but you have the opportunity to drive speakers as well.

Oh yeah, the 800i and 600i are certainly good values, for headphones that aren't the HE-6 and the Abyss, I think the 600i is going to be a solid all-purpose pick at the price point.

And, if you read my comment above, I did say, "I think the Krell and Pass Labs stuff is probably where it's at."

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #4,678 of 6,061
Yes. I listened to the iCAN Pro with the HE-6 at length at RMAF last year, it is absolutely phenomenal with them. It really brings out that visceral sense of power that makes the HE-6 so special. I also thought the soundstage was really impressive, when paired with a good DAC.

+1. Had the iCan pro on loaner from the dealer for a day & agree with the comments above.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #4,680 of 6,061
how the HE-6 performs is a marriage between adequate power and overall quality of amp.  In this scenario, the marantz would blow the sony away.  not because it is 200w, but because it is an excellent amp with adequate power.  the sony is a home theatre receiver.

IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back