Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jul 18, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #4,652 of 6,061
I don't even have it yet... Its on its way as i said. Arrives on the 22nd

Okay..... "will you" be using it as the DAC /preamp for the system? My point was that if it is planned to be in your HE-6 setup why do you want a control freak?

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,653 of 6,061
Okay..... "will you" be using it as the DAC /preamp for the system? My point was that if it is planned to be in your HE-6 setup why do you want a control freak?

Yes i will, and will be using it with my 2B LP and because a big giant Volume Knob Control on your desk sounds pretty. The Micca Origen will be my take with me DAC when i travel to and from Fort McMurray

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,654 of 6,061
With rare exception, everybody giving trial to speaker amps have agreed. These hps act more like a speaker than a headphone.

I don't want to discount the WA22 either.  The HE-6 sounds almost as good with this amp.  A superb pairing in it's own right.  There is just that little bit more that the Rogue offers over the WA22.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #4,655 of 6,061
Another decent option for people to look into is the classic Yamaha P2200/P2201/PC2002 family, maybe you'll luck out and find a B-1 but that's stupid rare. Also good but hard to find is the Fostex Model 300/600 amplifiers (yes, Fostex actually made amps for a while).

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #4,657 of 6,061
I don't want to discount the WA22 either.  The HE-6 sounds almost as good with this amp.  A superb pairing in it's own right.  There is just that little bit more that the Rogue offers over the WA22.
No doubt but at $2k+, you can find a lot of speaker amps for less.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #4,659 of 6,061
Finally got some more time to listen to the HE-6 on my Carver M500t. Have yet to do a direct comparison against the Mini-x, but plan to do so hopefully sooner than later. Just off of memory I feel my music is much more detailed than before. I'll be able to give some more realistic and beneficial impressions after a direct comparison.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #4,661 of 6,061
Has anyone tried the iFi iCAN Pro, outside of the dedicated iFi threads?

Yes. I listened to the iCAN Pro with the HE-6 at length at RMAF last year, it is absolutely phenomenal with them. It really brings out that visceral sense of power that makes the HE-6 so special. I also thought the soundstage was really impressive, when paired with a good DAC.

It's a shame that iFi doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to marketing, because their product really takes the other amps in that price bracket to task, and very few people know about it. Way more people should be talking about this amp.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #4,662 of 6,061
Yes. I listened to the iCAN Pro with the HE-6 at length at RMAF last year, it is absolutely phenomenal with them. It really brings out that visceral sense of power that makes the HE-6 so special. I also thought the soundstage was really impressive, when paired with a good DAC.

It's a shame that iFi doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to marketing, because their product really takes the other amps in that price bracket to task, and very few people know about it. Way more people should be talking about this amp.

Good to hear. Which mode did you use? As in SS, tube or tube+. I'm assuming it was balanced output? Also, which gain?

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #4,663 of 6,061
Good to hear. Which mode did you use? As in SS, tube or tube+. I'm assuming it was balanced output? Also, which gain?

I used the balanced input and high gain. I tried all of the possible mode combinations with the tube and the stereo expander. I liked the hybrid tube+ option best, followed by solid state and then the tube mode. IIRC, the stereo expander had options of "off", 30 degrees, 45 degrees and 60 degrees. I preferred the 30 degrees option, followed by "off", then 45 and 60. The DSP was well implemented though. I believe there was also a bass boost with "off", 1, 2 and 3 settings - IIRC, I liked this on setting 1, followed by 2, then "off" and finally 3.

Lots of options there, which allow you to tune it to your liking.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #4,664 of 6,061
I used the balanced input and high gain. I tried all of the possible mode combinations with the tube and the stereo expander. I liked the hybrid tube+ option best, followed by solid state and then the tube mode. IIRC, the stereo expander had options of "off", 30 degrees, 45 degrees and 60 degrees. I preferred the 30 degrees option, followed by "off", then 45 and 60. The DSP was well implemented though. I believe there was also a bass boost with "off", 1, 2 and 3 settings - IIRC, I liked this on setting 1, followed by 2, then "off" and finally 3.

Lots of options there, which allow you to tune it to your liking.

Thanks for your elaborate answer. Kind of unusual to prefer the tube+ and SS as second to the tube mode though, imho. Since I found the difference between tube and tube+ quite subtle on a HD800.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #4,665 of 6,061

Interesting. How did you find it compared to your liquid crimson?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back