Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Mar 14, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #4,411 of 6,061

The EQ is engaged, but not the "LOUD" button.. I think that, while it does give a healthy dose of bass energy, to me it sounds muffled. -Even with the 50 hz EQ gain to the max, bass is far from overdone. Powerful and extremely detailed..

@bigkef I would expect that a 10db boost centered around 50Hz would give a muddy sound.
I'm actually surprised it's not extremely bothersome given the extended and powerful bass of the HE6 without any EQ.
Maybe something is not right because bass energy shouldn't be lacking with a flat driven HE6 - I've certainly never felt any desire to boost bass.
Without EQ, genres such as hiphop, rap, electronic etc - HE6 bass  in the bottom 2 octaves, 20-80hz, can be prodigious (but if well recorded, tight and head shakingly powerful).

I actually found I had to jack up the bass EQ with that amp as well. I never quite figured out what was up with that, but the "0" level was far, far below neutral. Goofy quirk, but not really any other indications pointing to a malfunction. Otherwise the sound was decently musical, albeit a little too grainy in the treble for my tastes. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #4,412 of 6,061

I actually found I had to jack up the bass EQ with that amp as well. I never quite figured out what was up with that, but the "0" level was far, far below neutral. Goofy quirk, but not really any other indications pointing to a malfunction. Otherwise the sound was decently musical, albeit a little too grainy in the treble for my tastes. 

that just sounds like the amp isnt driving the cans very well.  just a guess. but lack of bass and bad treble are the two symptoms.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #4,413 of 6,061

that just sounds like the amp isnt driving the cans very well.  just a guess. but lack of bass and bad treble are the two symptoms.

It would seem that way. People seem to be having decent luck with the amp otherwise. I just decided it was easier to move on. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #4,414 of 6,061

No change. Feeding a higher source simply means you won't have to turn it up as high on the amp. Debatably you'll get a better signal/noise ratio with a higher source voltage, assuming this doesn't clip the input circuitry to the amp and it's running within its optimal range.

An amp is amplifying the incoming analogue signal. If the signal is 2V the amp will amplify that x times. If the signal is 6.2V it will amplify that x times, if it can handle it will say. A 6.2V signal is much stronger to begin with so it will give you more headroom in the end. Actually if you have DAC with a good volume pot, which can muster 6.2V you don’t need the gain and power from a pre amp and can connect direct a power amp. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #4,415 of 6,061

Well, that amp would be about 35yrs old (?) now - so I wouldn't be surprised if some caps were drifting out of spec and causing LF rolloff.

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #4,416 of 6,061

Well, that amp would be about 35yrs old (?) now - so I wouldn't be surprised if some caps were drifting out of spec and causing LF rolloff.

Very well could be.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #4,417 of 6,061
Hello, guys.
I’m thinking about trying something new with my he-6. I’m using them with Luxman L-505u now and sound is a bit lite for me. It’s very airy (in a good way) and bright and there is almost no bass... I’d like to get more bass and weight in sound from new amp. Can you suggest something about ~1000$? Speaker amp or headphone amp – no matters.
Thanks.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #4,418 of 6,061
Hello, guys.

I’m thinking about trying something new with my he-6. I’m using them with Luxman L-505u now and sound is a bit lite for me. It’s very airy (in a good way) and bright and there is almost no bass... I’d like to get more bass and weight in sound from new amp. Can you suggest something about ~1000$? Speaker amp or headphone amp – no matters.

Thanks.

Personally, if I could have afforded it, I would have gone with the Odyssey Cyclops. I've heard good things and the guy behind the company has used HE-6s before with it.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #4,419 of 6,061
  ... I’m using them with Luxman L-505u now and sound is a bit lite for me. It’s very airy (in a good way) and bright and there is almost no bass... I’d like to get more bass and weight in sound from new amp...

Are you driving your HE-6 from the headphone jack or the speaker taps? If you are using the speaker taps, this amp should not "bass lite." I'd first look at your upstream components and cables. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #4,420 of 6,061
Borrowed this for a few days. Quite a bit smoother and more transparent than my speaker amp. As it should be considering the 3k difference in price

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #4,421 of 6,061

Are you driving your HE-6 from the headphone jack or the speaker taps? If you are using the speaker taps, this amp should not "bass lite." I'd first look at your upstream components and cables. 

I'm using speaker taps. But there is one thing that I didn't mention. When I bought them - speaker amp was only one that drives my headphones without distortions. 2 headphone amps + headphone jack of my Luxman gave me the horrible sound... Maybe my headphones were faulty in some way from the beginning? They are under repair now but for other reason and the drivers should be replaced.
If you are saying that my amp should not "bass lite" then I'll try them after repairs. I hope to find more bass then before.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #4,422 of 6,061
I'm using speaker taps. But there is one thing that I didn't mention. When I bought them - speaker amp was only one that drives my headphones without distortions. 2 headphone amps + headphone jack of my Luxman gave me the horrible sound... Maybe my headphones were faulty in some way from the beginning? They are under repair now but for other reason and the drivers should be replaced.
If you are saying that my amp should not "bass lite" then I'll try them after repairs. I hope to find more bass then before.
What is your source?

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #4,424 of 6,061
I have HE-500s paired with a G1217 Polaris. I have the opportunity to get an HE-6 at a reasonable price and was wondering if anyone had tried pairing them with the Polaris amp before and how that worked.

I think Polaris outputs 2.4W per channel.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #4,425 of 6,061
  I have HE-500s paired with a G1217 Polaris. I have the opportunity to get an HE-6 at a reasonable price and was wondering if anyone had tried pairing them with the Polaris amp before and how that worked.

I think Polaris outputs 2.4W per channel.

Looking at the output power graph below it certainly seems like the G1217 would offer 'sufficient' power to drive the HE6's ~50ohm load effectively, though perhaps not optimally.
Although I haven't heard the G1217, I did prefer the HE6 to HE500 when driven from my 1.5W/50ohm Grace m920.
The HE6 offers more focus, high frequency detailing and purity, overall clarity and speed and much tighter and better defined lows.
However, if you're in love with the 'sound' of HE500 it's possible you may not like the HE6 so much due to its less forgiving, more forward nature.
IMO they're quite different sounding headphones - though I have seen them described as sounding close to each other, which confuses the heck out of me.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back