Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Mar 25, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,441 of 6,061
Laptop headphone rig only for this search wont need a phono stage, as I said I was looking only to find an excellent dac for my ef-6 and i got side tracked.
If as you say there's really nothing out there one box then I might as well calm down and get back on track to find a replacement dac.
Cheers
Alex

I've listened to the EF-6 a few times and always thought it was a pretty mediocre amp. HE-6 is not susceptible to changes in DACs. I'd say keep upgrading the amp.

I really like the Questyle CAS192D with the HE-6.

I heard their reference stack or whatever at CJ. Laughable at best. My rig completely smokes it at half the cost.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #4,442 of 6,061
I'll see how the Burson Conductor V2 (one box) pairs w/ the HE 6 hopefully next month when it's delivered. it's rated 8W into I think 16ohms which may not be enough for the HE6 to be at it's best. more to follow. I'm sure it'll be very nice w/ other HPs like the HD800s and Dharma.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #4,443 of 6,061
I've listened to the EF-6 a few times and always thought it was a pretty mediocre amp. HE-6 is not susceptible to changes in DACs. I'd say keep upgrading the amp.

Yes I know what you're saying an Ef-6 is not an end game for me but it's probably the best i've heard the 6's.
I had to sell my last dac which was ifi idsd micro along with HE-560's and I'm using a stand in fubar2 so I want a better dac to begin with and then later I'll sort the amp side.
If as you say it doesn't realy matter about a dac how much would you say I should spend on one to begin with?
I do fancy the ragnarok and yggy pair but too expensive for me just now

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4,444 of 6,061
  Yes I know what you're saying an Ef-6 is not an end game for me but it's probably the best i've heard the 6's.
I had to sell my last dac which was ifi idsd micro along with HE-560's and I'm using a stand in fubar2 so I want a better dac to begin with and then later I'll sort the amp side.
If as you say it doesn't realy matter about a dac how much would you say I should spend on one to begin with?
I do fancy the ragnarok and yggy pair but too expensive for me just now

Pardon my ignorance but what is a Tribute AVC? I'm guessing it's a pre-amp to control your Krell

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #4,446 of 6,061

I really like the Questyle CAS192D with the HE-6.

I heard their reference stack or whatever at CJ. Laughable at best. My rig completely smokes it at half the cost.

12K is way too steep for what it is, but I thought the sound was pretty decent (price aside). I enjoyed their DAC quite a bit with the Stratus.

I should have known you'd be there. I would've bought you a beer or something for all your assistance with the mods!

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #4,447 of 6,061
Pardon my ignorance but what is a Tribute AVC? I'm guessing it's a pre-amp to control your Krell

A good DAC in the 1k range will sound great. I think audio-gd does a great job.

EF6 isn't endgame but it's easily beaten by integrated speaker amps in it's price range.

AVC stands for autoformer volume control. Mine is a custom 4 channel made to my request. I waited about 4 months.

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,448 of 6,061

How is a headphone immune to dac changes? I must not understand what you are saying here.

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #4,449 of 6,061
How is a headphone immune to dac changes? I must not understand what you are saying here.

Not saying it's immune to different DACs but changes aren't nearly as obvious compared to using HD800.

EF6 is still quite far from sounding amazing so he should upgrade that first.

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #4,450 of 6,061
I would agree that the ef6 is the bottleneck here. But I do not agree that the he6 is not revealing enough to hear the difference in dacs. The only thing the hd800 has on it is soundstage. When driven correctly, the he6 is the preferred can for me.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #4,451 of 6,061
Oh the 6s are very discerning to differences in DACs but that should be the last upgrade. Amps are so different that it's best to find the match for your tastes with the 6s before going down the DAC road. JMO DACs have less differences than amps.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #4,453 of 6,061
Mar 27, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4,454 of 6,061

Always try to buy used. You get more performance for what you pay.

How do you rate the Auralic Taurus 2 vs Ragnarok vs Mjolnir2 vs EF-6 ........... 1st 2cd 3rd 4th driving 6's
And Vega vs Yggdrasil vs Gungnir Multibit

I think I know you'll much prefer the Schiit gear but finding second hand Schiit gear 230V is proving impossible,
however there are lots of options for Auralic duo used stuff over here, (around 2,500euro which converts to under £2K for both)
And to top it off the Auralic happens to have a smaller chassis that fits my trolley,
but you're gonna tell me the Taurus 2 is not optimal with 6's right :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back