Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Apr 14, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #4,471 of 6,061
Hi guys.
I want to know one thing and hope you can help me. I’m currently using my Luxman l-505u speaker amp to drive my HE-6. It sounds very good in my opinion. But I want to try Beta 22! There is an opportunity to buy 3-channel Beta 22 for a reasonable price. It’s 8x version. I’ve read a lot about unbalanced b22 with He-6 and almost all says that it has not enough power… But what if I’ll connect b22 to my int. amp (it has preamp option). Will it give me more power and juice for my headphones? Or it’s a stupid idea and It does not make any sense?
confused_face_2.gif
Should I forget about all unbalanced versions and only look fore the balanced one?

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #4,472 of 6,061
  Hi guys.
I want to know one thing and hope you can help me. I’m currently using my Luxman l-505u speaker amp to drive my HE-6. It sounds very good in my opinion. But I want to try Beta 22! There is an opportunity to buy 3-channel Beta 22 for a reasonable price. It’s 8x version. I’ve read a lot about unbalanced b22 with He-6 and almost all says that it has not enough power… But what if I’ll connect b22 to my int. amp (it has preamp option). Will it give me more power and juice for my headphones? Or it’s a stupid idea and It does not make any sense?
confused_face_2.gif
Should I forget about all unbalanced versions and only look fore the balanced one?

I haven't heard the amps in question, but as far as I can see the point using an external pre amp into an integrated amp (through the pre in sockets) would be if the pre section of the integrated is of low quality. If you know that is the case and you know the power section of the integrated is of high quality, then this might be a good idea. However, I would expect this not being the situation. In other words it doesn't seem to make sense.

In terms of power into HE-6 there will be no difference no matter what pre amp you attach to the integrated. Difference in gain, yes, but not output power.

In short: If you like what you hear from the speaker amp, then rest and listen to music!

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #4,473 of 6,061
I posted this in the main HE6 thread but I guess it is even more appropriate to post here even though it is mostly the same audience. I hope to find a local dealer here to try it out in the next few weeks.

------

Has anyone tried the new amp and dac from Cayin with the HE6?  Here is a link to project86's review, although he is still working on it. I just found out about it now from a friend of mine so there may be some reviews on it already. 

Amp
http://www.head-fi.org/t/797581/cayin-iha-6-the-new-affordable-reference-class-balanced-desktop-amp

DAC
http://www.head-fi.org/t/797583/cayin-idac-6-a-killer-new-dac-with-tons-of-options-on-board

May 5, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #4,475 of 6,061
thanks for the tips,  fellows.

Duke i understand you are impressed with the D amp, but may i ask,  which or your amps sounds best  to you outright with your he6 (and how/why?)

(Im thinking about building an ampcamp for phones, also wondering how it would do with hd598s. its really good to hear it opens the door for the higher end/harder drives. if its the best with your he6s that would sweeten the pot)

May 6, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #4,476 of 6,061
Yea.. when the U.S. sent a man to the moon in 1969, and SpaceX had 2 rockets blow up in 2015......
Things have gotten better, but let's not make general statements. Some old gear has the potential to be exceptional.

I agree. In the music industry people are trying to recreate old mixing boards from Neve or SSL example. Seems modern technology isn't always better.

May 9, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #4,477 of 6,061
Has anyone tried the HE-6 with the Pass Labs HPA-1?

May 9, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #4,478 of 6,061
Has anyone tried the HE-6 with the Pass Labs HPA-1?

I haven't tried them together, but I did get a chance to try the amp. I was not a fan. Dry and analytical to the farthest extreme, IMHO. I have a ton of respect for Pass Labs, but the HPA-1 was definitely not my cup of tea.

May 16, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #4,481 of 6,061
I used a Musical Fidelity M1 HPAP for a while before I got a EF6 and it worked just fine.  Depending on the incoming level I would sometimes have to have the volume turned all the way up but for the most part I always had plenty of volume.  It was also one sweet piece of gear - quality build, dead quiet and neutral sounding.   I regret selling it.

May 19, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #4,482 of 6,061
So I am hooking my Fisher 500C restored amp up tonight to use with the HE-6.  I'm expecting great things.  For those of you who are tuned in to the math on this, what speaker taps should I use.  4, 8, or 16 ohm?

I am using the resistors by the way.  Tube amp.

May 19, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #4,483 of 6,061
  So I am hooking my Fisher 500C restored amp up tonight to use with the HE-6.  I'm expecting great things.  For those of you who are tuned in to the math on this, what speaker taps should I use.  4, 8, or 16 ohm?

I am using the resistors by the way.  Tube amp.

You should use the 16 Ohm setting to get the most power. However, if you have 10 Ohm resistors in parallel, this is correct for the 8 Ohm output, not 16 Ohm. 

May 22, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #4,485 of 6,061
Another curveball- I'm thinking of trying to obtain HE-6s as I have an amp I believe will do them justice... Had anyone tried pairing their with an Audio-gd SA-31? It has low and high gain and puts out 10w into 50 ohms. It also has jumper settings for neutral and more warmth, I'm thinking it should pair nicely. There's a pretty long thread on the amp although it's been dead for a while as the amp is only available second hand now (that how I got it). I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet although there was a shout out to its predecessor early on in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back