Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jul 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #527 of 6,061
Quote:

Aphrodite Cu29.

Does he do hardwire mods using a user provided headphone cord? or will he only do it using his own headphone cords?

And another downside, reading through that main thread, it seems quite a few people have had to send their headphones back on warranty, im not worried about Fang no taking them, im worried about having to pay over and over and over again to have them hardwired and unwired since you would want to keep youre expensive aftermarket cable.

I only ask cause when i get mine i would love to get some Q Cables black silk cable hardwired to them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #528 of 6,061
Quote:
Quote:

Aphrodite Cu29.

Does he do hardwire mods using a user provided headphone cord? or will he only do it using his own headphone cords?

And another downside, reading through that main thread, it seems quite a few people have had to send their headphones back on warranty, im not worried about Fang no taking them, im worried about having to pay over and over and over again to have them hardwired and unwired since you would want to keep youre expensive aftermarket cable.

I only ask cause when i get mine i would love to get some Q Cables black silk cable hardwired to them
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a thought: Aphrodite Cu29 sells HiFiMan products. He does provide Lifetime Warranty for his work. And he is located in Minnesota. Why not contact him with further questions, so you'll know before your cans arrive just where to go? 

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #531 of 6,061
Quote:
The brightness could come from your source. However, I frankly think that the HE-6 has a little too much treble, and this makes it sound bright - even when properly driven. You could try an easy mod: take a piece of 1mm thick felt and makes two circular pieces with a 4cm hole in it and put each between the drivers and your ears. This will take away the excess treble and give you a little extra bass - without sacrificing SQ. In fact soundstage becomes bigger and the overall sound is more natural.

Do you mean take a 4cm diameter round piece of felt and put it in between the drivers and the ears? Or make a larger piece of felt then cut out a 4cm hole so it looks like a large dougnut?

Cheers

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #532 of 6,061
Quote:

I think the issue stems from the fact that you're using an audio / video receiver.  Yamaha makes some great 2-channel receivers and integrated amplifiers with "variable loudness" controls.  The variable loudness feature allows you to somewhat adjust the frequency for better performance during lower volume level listening sessions.  In this regard, A/V receivers can't compare to what is being offered by Yamaha in the 2-channel league.

Yeah, I agree, however, this is multi purpose, I have my 5.1 for movies/games, but the L/R and sub also are for music and were specifically made for that purpose, and the amp drives them well.   So the HE-6 is only used when I can't make much noise.

I did get the leatherpads a few days ago and compared to the stock old cloth pads they make a very noticable difference.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #533 of 6,061
Do you mean take a 4cm diameter round piece of felt and put it in between the drivers and the ears? Or make a larger piece of felt then cut out a 4cm hole so it looks like a large dougnut?

Cheers

A felt of about 7,5 cm and then a hole about 4 cm (in diameter).

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #534 of 6,061
Has anybody taken a look at this new offering from Audio-GD?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/SA/SA31/SA31EN.htm

It's single ended only but is rated for 10 Watts at 40 ohms and uses 4 15A/150W Toshiba transistors for output stage.  I think those transistors are traditionally used in speaker amps IIRC.  Also very reasonably priced ($500) for what it is.  There is a thread already started about it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617667/audio-gd-sa-31-head-amp-preamp-a-powerfull-head-amp-with-diamond-difference-design

It's also from their "musical" series, so it may not be as bright as their ACSS offerings.  I may pull the trigger on it if I can manage to sell my current DAC soon.  I may even pick up the matching SA-1 DAC later on also.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #535 of 6,061
To power my HE-6, I'm currently using a vintage tube audio research d70mkII, 60wpc.

I just bought another vintage tube amp, a not widely known Copland CTA 504, 50wpc.
I should have it sometime next week.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #536 of 6,061
Wuwhere, how do you find the sound with the Audio Research? Do you experience much greater dynamics, bass slam, treble extensions, sweeter mids, etc? I'm not caught between getting a standalone head-amp or wiring my HE-5LE to a speaker amp. Just wondering about the pros and cons of both methods.

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #537 of 6,061
Quote:

I just bought another vintage tube amp, a not widely known Copland CTA 504, 50wpc.
I should have it sometime next week.

A gorgeous and well made amp. A friend owns the CT401, it has a relaxed presentation. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #538 of 6,061
Its designer was influenced by the CJ sound so it should pair well with the HE-6.
They are conservatively rated. The transformers are rated for 100wpc. The company
is Danish but the contract manufacturer is in Sweden so they are made in Sweden.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #539 of 6,061
Quote:
Wuwhere, how do you find the sound with the Audio Research? Do you experience much greater dynamics, bass slam, treble extensions, sweeter mids, etc? I'm not caught between getting a standalone head-amp or wiring my HE-5LE to a speaker amp. Just wondering about the pros and cons of both methods.

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

Yes, all those.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #540 of 6,061
Do you use the Hifiman adapter box with tube amps and the HE-6 ?  Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back