Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #5,105 of 6,061
Like @leftside I run my HE-6 from a 300b amp. My amp is the Woo WA5-LE though. 8 - 10 watts per channel, many attenuation, impedance matching, and signal matching options. Sounds fantastic. It bests my Musical Fidelity M6si. I've tried other pre / power amp combos and you may get a little more plankton but they can't match the musicality of the Woo.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #5,106 of 6,061
These are the specs on my amp, Primare Pre32

Power
2 x 250W into 8Ω, 400W into 4Ω

I n p u t s
Unbalanced inputs
2 x RCA, 15kΩ impedance.
Balanced inputs
2 x XLR, 15kΩ impedance.

P e r f o r m a n c e
Gain
26dB unbalanced,
20dB balanced

Could someone please tell me the measurements of how my amp would power the HE-6 (6 screw) like how many W @ 8 ohms & 4 ohms? Sorry, but I'm not savvy enough in this area to figure it out.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #5,107 of 6,061
Like @leftside I run my HE-6 from a 300b amp. My amp is the Woo WA5-LE though. 8 - 10 watts per channel, many attenuation, impedance matching, and signal matching options. Sounds fantastic. It bests my Musical Fidelity M6si. I've tried other pre / power amp combos and you may get a little more plankton but they can't match the musicality of the Woo.

What tubes do you like the best on your WA5 for the HE-6?

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #5,108 of 6,061
These are the specs on my amp, Primare Pre32

Power
2 x 250W into 8Ω, 400W into 4Ω

I n p u t s
Unbalanced inputs
2 x RCA, 15kΩ impedance.
Balanced inputs
2 x XLR, 15kΩ impedance.

P e r f o r m a n c e
Gain
26dB unbalanced,
20dB balanced

Could someone please tell me the measurements of how my amp would power the HE-6 (6 screw) like how many W @ 8 ohms & 4 ohms? Sorry, but I'm not savvy enough in this area to figure it out.

32 ohm 62.5 watt
50 ohm 40 watt
300 ohm 6.666667 watt

That's a lot of power.. I would not use that for the he-6.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #5,111 of 6,061
I use my 220 Watt per channel Musical Fidelity M6si with my HE-6 with no problems.
you are looking at 35watt at 50ohm with that amp which is wildly overkill, not saying it will sound bad, just overkill since you only need 1/7 of that power(Hifiman EF-6 has 5 watts at 50ohm)
just out of curiosity.
what percentage of max do you keep your amp when using HE-6?.
balanced or unbalanced DAC?
did you use any gain settings on the amp?
any preamps?
post amp magic box?

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #5,112 of 6,061
you are looking at 35watt at 50ohm with that amp which is wildly overkill, not saying it will sound bad, just overkill since you only need 1/7 of that power(Hifiman EF-6 has 5 watts at 50ohm)
just out of curiosity.
what percentage of max do you keep your amp when using HE-6?.
balanced or unbalanced DAC?
did you use any gain settings on the amp?
any preamps?
post amp magic box?
I have a banana to XLR adapter cable that I plug directly into the speaker terminals on the amp, then I plug the HE-6 into the XLR on the other end of the cable. There are not boxes or resistors that I use with the setup. The M6si is an integrated amp so I use the integrated preamp that comes with it. I can turn the volume pot normally like I do with my speakers. 12 o'clock on the dial is loud but it is on my speakers too.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #5,113 of 6,061
32 ohm 62.5 watt
50 ohm 40 watt
300 ohm 6.666667 watt

That's a lot of power.. I would not use that for the he-6.
Thanks for figuring that out for me! But why shouldn't I use the amp? What might happen? I have no pets or youngsters and I always turn my pre amp to zero before connecting the HE-6 and disconnect them when I'm done listening.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #5,114 of 6,061
Thanks for figuring that out for me! But why shouldn't I use the amp? What might happen? I have no pets or youngsters and I always turn my pre amp to zero before connecting the HE-6 and disconnect them when I'm done listening.
Let me rephrase.
If it was the only amp I had I would use it for the HE-6. But i would not buy it for the HE-6 if I didn't have it.
The negatives with a to powerful amp can be (amp/preamp spesific):
To little volume play.
Channel imbalance at low volumes.
Hiss with sensitive speakers(headphones in this case).

Only reason I see to have a 200watt+ @8ohm amp is to power speakers.

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #5,115 of 6,061
I've used Viiolectric's V281 HP amp (now sold) with the HE-6 and had very satisfying results. But it was inconvenient disconnecting the XLR cables from the power amp to attach to the HP amp then back. Plus I kept reading the best way to drive the HE-6 was with a speaker amp. My power amp has dual speaker taps so I figured why not use the 2nd set for the HE-6. Soon I should be receiving a HP adapter from Alex @ WyWires to attach my RED Series HP cable to my amp. For my rig I've found the RED cable is fantastic and I've experienced no hiss or channel imbalance in the past. Volume control will be from my preamp. I will ALWAYS proceed with caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back