Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Nov 6, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #4,816 of 6,061

Funny they added the jack to the front. Wonder what gave them that idea?

I really doubt they got the idea from here. Resistor dropped headphone outputs has been common on integrated amps since the early days.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #4,817 of 6,061

Funny they added the jack to the front. Wonder what gave them that idea?

I really doubt they got the idea from here. Resistor dropped headphone outputs has been common on integrated amps since the early days.

http://m.emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/35628/heavily-modified-sleek-headphone-usage

The main designed @ emotiva (Lonnie) has known about this mod for quite awhile. 

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #4,818 of 6,061
I misread the earlier quote. I thought it was the TA-100 that had resistor dropped headphone outs, which is nothing new... but it looks like the TA-100 has a dedicated headphone amp section.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #4,819 of 6,061
I did have my HE-6's connected to a vintage Yamaha receiver and they sounded very very good. But I got curious and wondered what they'd sound like connected to the 2nd set of speaker taps of my Primare A32 amp. They sound fantastic and the straight connection to the Primare is much more convenient!

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #4,820 of 6,061
Under $3000 is a used FirstWatt J2 my best bet for the HE-6?  

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #4,822 of 6,061
I held a meet today and a couple ears felt the Bryston 2B was better than the Ragnarok. Just tossing that out there to bring some of you guys back down to sane prices.

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #4,823 of 6,061
Whoever thinks these headphones are bass light needs to invest in a good amp, these can extend really deep. Bass is probably the largest improvement I am seeing after getting the First Watt amp. I need to get some work done but can't stop listening..

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,824 of 6,061
I held a meet today and a couple ears felt the Bryston 2B was better than the Ragnarok. Just tossing that out there to bring some of you guys back down to sane prices.

I think the only Ragnaroks that are good with the HE-6 are the betas with the original power supply. There are only a handful of them left out there since, you know, they tend to start on fire. I don't like the 6 with the production Rag at all.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #4,825 of 6,061
I think the only Ragnaroks that are good with the HE-6 are the betas with the original power supply. There are only a handful of them left out there. I don't like the 6 with the production Rag at all.

"The regular unit isn't my cup of tea, but there is an ultra rare, low serial/beta run that's the best ever. If you don't have those ones then the amp/DAC/headphone is terrible"

Oh God, head-fi'osa continues... :p

Just poking fun, I haven't been in the thread for a while and that was funny to read. A similar joke came up with the newly revised HEK v2, and how there will certainly be a group of owners that prefer the v1 signature and especially units that were produced in the 22,300-22,700 serial number range :wink:

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #4,826 of 6,061
  Whoever thinks these headphones are bass light needs to invest in a good amp, these can extend really deep. Bass is probably the largest improvement I am seeing after getting the First Watt amp. I need to get some work done but can't stop listening..

Which FirstWatt did you get?

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #4,827 of 6,061
J2

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #4,829 of 6,061
"The regular unit isn't my cup of tea, but there is an ultra rare, low serial/beta run that's the best ever. If you don't have those ones then the amp/DAC/headphone is terrible"

Oh God, head-fi'osa continues... :p

Just poking fun, I haven't been in the thread for a while and that was funny to read. A similar joke came up with the newly revised HEK v2, and how there will certainly be a group of owners that prefer the v1 signature and especially units that were produced in the 22,300-22,700 serial number range :wink:

Well, it's true! There are only a couple left out in the wild. Not saying it is the best amp ever, it just sounds better than the production Rag.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #4,830 of 6,061
I noticed this review of the Parasound Zamp.
This is a compact 45W/8ohm power amp (requires DAC/pre with volume control) which should provide just over 7W into 50ohms  - enough to drive the HE6 very well, though probably sniffed at by the extreme high power brigade. But hey, this thing can be had for under US$300 new!
Anyway, I was curious so I bought one.
I think it sounds excellent driven from the SE out of my Grace m920.
Very quiet, with a detailed and spacious sound that allows the HE6 to demonstrate it's superior sound. Clean, clear and dynamic with deep tight bass. There is no brittle SS sound here - it sounds quite lovely actually.
The good looks and compact footprint are a real bonus too.
I think its a bit of a steal for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back