Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Oct 26, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #4,801 of 6,061
  Ok guys since no one has replied to my previous two posts
frown.gif
frown.gif

Perhaps you First Watt J2 owners would care to tell what ballanced pre-amp they would recommend?
gs1000.gif

I use a Passive pre 'AKUSTYK' and wondering how it would perfom with an FW-J2

Hopefully, yours truly
Alexx
beerchug.gif

Mine isn't here yet, but I plan to drive them through the M11 pre-amp out. 

Since I got the J2, thinking of upgrading my speakers as well (have some high sensitivity bookshelf speakers in mind).  How would I go about connecting them so that I don't have to disconnect every time I connect my HE6? Is there anything such as "y-adapter" for banana so that I can just plug my banana-to-XLR cable there? I really don't want to add another box, and I am lazy so don't wanna disconnect the speakers every time either lol. I will of course turn the speakers off so that both the headphones and speakers don't play music at the same time, that's a lot easier, just flipping a switch. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #4,802 of 6,061
Has anyone tried these out of the yamaha p3200?

I've read some stuff about the fans being noisy on this amp, but I was wondering what the sound quality of one of these older yamaha power amps would be like.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #4,803 of 6,061
  Mine isn't here yet, but I plan to drive them through the M11 pre-amp out. 

Since I got the J2, thinking of upgrading my speakers as well (have some high sensitivity bookshelf speakers in mind).  How would I go about connecting them so that I don't have to disconnect every time I connect my HE6? Is there anything such as "y-adapter" for banana so that I can just plug my banana-to-XLR cable there? I really don't want to add another box, and I am lazy so don't wanna disconnect the speakers every time either lol. I will of course turn the speakers off so that both the headphones and speakers don't play music at the same time, that's a lot easier, just flipping a switch. 

Thanks very much mate
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4,804 of 6,061
  Has anyone tried these out of the yamaha p3200?

I've read some stuff about the fans being noisy on this amp, but I was wondering what the sound quality of one of these older yamaha power amps would be like.

I used to have that one (or one in the same family; all the numbers start blurring together after a while). It actually sounds great, and if you can squirrel the amp under the desk then even better. Otherwise the fan noise is a bit much. I like the sound of that generation amps more than the P####S series, even though the newer generation have much more silent fans. If you go older, then you're getting into the likes of the P2200. These are fantastic, passively cooled, and also ginormous heavy beasts.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #4,805 of 6,061
All this talk about First Watt amps driving the HE-6 has peaked my interest.  How much better are the JFET over the MOSFET First Watt amps with the HE-6?  I'm thinking about doing a DYI build of the F5 or F6 but the J2 looks very intriguing with the SemiSouth JFETS.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #4,806 of 6,061
Man, that makes me wonder how far that extends. I'm really liking the ifi ican pro now, but can't help but wonder how it would sound with a speaker amp. Just don't have one, and not sure if there are any sub $500 options out there that would be worth it

I've heard the Emotiva mini-X a-100 is a good match for the HE-6, in that price range. Though I've never used one myself so YMMV. It looks like Emotiva has released a new 2 channel integrated amp that may work too. http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/pres-and-pros/ta-100

In addition to the TA-100, the new release of the A-100 has a headphone jack that is directly driven by the main amplifier. It is configurable (via jumper) and has the following specs:

Headphone Output
Front panel jack; full sized 1/4”.
Headphone output is derived from the main speaker outputs via high quality 220 Ohm resistors.
Optional high-power mode for driving low-efficiency planar headphones.

Headphone output power (normal mode):
8 Ohms: 60 mW / channel
33 Ohms: 200 mW / channel
47 Ohms: 250 mW / channel
150 Ohms: 430 mW / channel
300 Ohms: 440 mW / channel
600 Ohms: 350 mW / channel

Headphone output power (direct drive mode):
(requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION)
8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #4,807 of 6,061
After hearing the difference between the low powered (by HE-6 standards) balanced output of my HM901S compared to the single ended 5W (in 50 Ohm) class A Norwegian DIY amp I have, I am beginning to think that the most important thing driving HE-6 is that it's a push-pull amplifier. So, in the this case it wouldn't help much that the headphone output is taken from the speaker amp outputs. However, and as always, listening tests will tell.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4,808 of 6,061
Still waiting for my XLR-to-banana cable. Damn you Canadian customs, wanna listen to the black box called J2! I don't even own passive speakers so that I can give the amp a go lol. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #4,809 of 6,061
I've heard the Emotiva mini-X a-100 is a good match for the HE-6, in that price range. Though I've never used one myself so YMMV. It looks like Emotiva has released a new 2 channel integrated amp that may work too. http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/pres-and-pros/ta-100
Not only no but hell no to the mini X.

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #4,810 of 6,061
I hope to get the legendary He-6 to see how well my three amps hooked up to my Yggdrasil drive this headphone. I would lime to see how well my Ragnarock, Liquid Crimson, Glass and Gold drive these headphones.:)

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #4,811 of 6,061
Not only no but hell no to the mini X.

Any special reason, other than it being from Emotiva? I felt my Gen 1 Mini-X drove my HE-6 suitably, especially for the price point. Is there any amp that doesn't cost at least twice as much as the Mini-X that would drive the HE-6 better?

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #4,812 of 6,061
I hope to get the legendary He-6 to see how well my three amps hooked up to my Yggdrasil drive this headphone. I would lime to see how well my Ragnarock, Liquid Crimson, Glass and Gold drive these headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not as good as a First Watt amp is what I came away with, after owner the Crimson and Ragnarok.

They're not bad, but they don't quite get you there.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #4,813 of 6,061

Any special reason, other than it being from Emotiva? I felt my Gen 1 Mini-X drove my HE-6 suitably, especially for the price point. Is there any amp that doesn't cost at least twice as much as the Mini-X that would drive the HE-6 better?

For $200, spend half on a Topping amp and the other half on a bottle(s) of your favourite refreshment.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #4,814 of 6,061
The mini X didn't have the agility of better amps. It's better than many headphone amps but you will find better with better/bigger amps. Preproman had the mini X for a trial and for the price, it performed accordingly.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #4,815 of 6,061
The mini X didn't have the agility of better amps. It's better than many headphone amps but you will find better with better/bigger amps. Preproman had the mini X for a trial and for the price, it performed accordingly.

It's fine (for the price). When you start talking First Watt you're really talking about different beasts.

Man, that makes me wonder how far that extends. I'm really liking the ifi ican pro now, but can't help but wonder how it would sound with a speaker amp. Just don't have one, and not sure if there are any sub $500 options out there that would be worth it

In addition to the TA-100, the new release of the A-100 has a headphone jack that is directly driven by the main amplifier. It is configurable (via jumper) and has the following specs:

Headphone Output
Front panel jack; full sized 1/4”.
Headphone output is derived from the main speaker outputs via high quality 220 Ohm resistors.
Optional high-power mode for driving low-efficiency planar headphones.

Headphone output power (normal mode):
8 Ohms: 60 mW / channel
33 Ohms: 200 mW / channel
47 Ohms: 250 mW / channel
150 Ohms: 430 mW / channel
300 Ohms: 440 mW / channel
600 Ohms: 350 mW / channel

Headphone output power (direct drive mode):
(requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION)
8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

Funny they added the jack to the front. Wonder what gave them that idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back