Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Oct 23, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #4,786 of 6,061
Oct 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #4,787 of 6,061
Thanks! Saw a reasonably priced first watt j2, I know that and the brystons are in different leagues but the price is tempting. Does anyone know how big the J2 is? I can't find physical measurements anywhere.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #4,789 of 6,061
Oct 23, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #4,791 of 6,061
Thanks! Saw a reasonably priced first watt j2, I know that and the brystons are in different leagues but the price is tempting. Does anyone know how big the J2 is? I can't find physical measurements anywhere.

Just make sure not to buy the J2+ thai clone off ebay, despite the look there is very very good chance the Semisouth fets are fake.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #4,793 of 6,061
I wasn't so sure about the height. This was on top of my head.

No problem, space is tight, but not that tight. It's just the pictures have no reference, so I didn't even have an estimate. Also found out that the First Watt F7 is 17" x 5.5" x 15", so J2 should be somewhere around that. 

Probably ordering it tomorrow, or some other amp let's see. Now to the other missing link, anyone has a spare female XLR to banana cable for sell? I placed an order with a cable maker but lead time + shipping will be 1.5 months, need something NOW!
gs1000.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #4,794 of 6,061

No problem, space is tight, but not that tight. It's just the pictures have no reference, so I didn't even have an estimate. Also found out that the First Watt F7 is 17" x 5.5" x 15", so J2 should be somewhere around that. 

Probably ordering it tomorrow, or some other amp let's see. Now to the other missing link, anyone has a spare female XLR to banana cable for sell? I placed an order with a cable maker but lead time + shipping will be 1.5 months, need something NOW!
gs1000.gif

Did you try Ted@ Headphone Lounge?  He built me two of them and delivered within two weeks. 

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #4,795 of 6,061

gs1000.gif

They're all the same size 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #4,796 of 6,061

Did you try Ted@ Headphone Lounge?  He built me two of them and delivered within two weeks. 

Thanks for the suggestion! Just placed an order with him, pleasure to deal with, will be shipped this week. 

Secured the J2 as well! Let's see if a speaker amp can truly beat my M11. If it does I will never doubt Head-Fi ever again, might even start buying kilobuck cables 
gs1000.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #4,797 of 6,061
  If I already have Audio-gd Master 11, is there any point in getting speaker amplifier for the HE-6? Although it wouldn't be specifically for the HE-6 as I have speakers too.

I wonder how well Audio-gd Master 3 would work with the HE-6.

I am going to move my headphone setup into another room and need another speaker amp, so I may be getting a Master 3 soon. If I do, I'll let you know how it compares to both the Master 11 and the Master 2H monoblocks.

I offered Kingwa $250 to add a second set of speaker outputs and a switch to toggle between speakers and headphones so that I don't have to get some extra switch box that may adversely affect the sound quality and require additional cables etc. Maybe a bit much, but I couldn't find any "audiophile" turnkey solutions for less than that.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #4,798 of 6,061
  Thanks for the suggestion! Just placed an order with him, pleasure to deal with, will be shipped this week. 

Secured the J2 as well! Let's see if a speaker amp can truly beat my M11. If it does I will never doubt Head-Fi ever again, might even start buying kilobuck cables 
gs1000.gif

You can stop doubting right now.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #4,799 of 6,061
Ok guys since no one has replied to my previous two posts
frown.gif
frown.gif

Perhaps you First Watt J2 owners would care to tell what ballanced pre-amp they would recommend?
gs1000.gif

I use a Passive pre 'AKUSTYK' and wondering how it would perfom with an FW-J2

Hopefully, yours truly
Alexx
beerchug.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,800 of 6,061
The improvement from removing the internal stock damping and the Audeze vegan pads is astounding. Blutack, grill mod, and felt on the underside of the pads are worthwhile as well, but the improvement is less than those first two changes (which are very easy, cheap, and reversible). Highly highly recommended. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back