Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Aug 25, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #4,171 of 6,061
Aug 26, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4,173 of 6,061
Did I ever post my "little" Bryston experiment a couple weeks ago?

The 2B, 3B and 4B respectively
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #4,175 of 6,061
  Broke down and bought a new desk, didn't you?

Nah that's just a rolling computer desk picked up from a garage sale for a few bucks. It was sagging under all the weight though.  They aren't meant to carry a hundred pounds of amp on them.  Everything is sitting on the floor now
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #4,177 of 6,061
I'm still leaning towards the 2B as being the favourite of the bunch. It doesn't have as much bass grip as the other two, but the overall presentation feels more cohesive to me. I wish I had someone local with the BHA-1 so I could compare.

Old timey reviews of Bryston gear always say they sound bright, but the 2B is anything but. I feel like it even leans slightly towards the warmer side, which is a nice match with the HE-6. Warm still isn't the right word... perhaps "rich"? The bass doesn't kick hard, but has good body to it without becoming wooly. Mids into highs are nice and smooth, nothing sticks out about those. The 3B and 4B both have more bass grip but also have a bit of brittleness to the upper end. However, I highly suspect this is due more to the physical age of the amp than the design (my 2B is much younger than the other two).

I'd really like to hear some modern versions of the 3B and 4B as they've been revised quite a bit over the years. The 2B is apparently a simple elegant design who's design hasn't changed at all because there was nothing else they could do with it. Maybe the HE-6 just likes the simple topologies.

No preamp used; I controlled volume control on the amp itself, or from the dac.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #4,180 of 6,061
I see that most of you are using speaker amps to power the HE-6, however, I am thinking of getting a Schiit Ragnarok.

I currently do not have a dedicated HP DAC or amp (currently using old 5.5 gen 30gb ipod video). I previously had the Emotiva DC-1, but thought the HP amp was "ok" and found it to be a little noisy (hissing sound) with even my (ultra) low end earbuds. Having said that, I did really like it as a DAC, or even as a DAC/preamp in my main system.

I have a few pairs of mid level HPs currently, but I am thinking of taking the plunge into some better stuff. While I do not plan to get any super hard to drive ortho's in the near future, I want to buy a HP amp that kind of "future-proof" me for any type of HP I may purchase later. (electrostats not included)

Has anyone tried the HE-6 with the Ragnarok, and if so, what did you think?

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4,182 of 6,061
  I see that most of you are using speaker amps to power the HE-6, however, I am thinking of getting a Schiit Ragnarok.

I currently do not have a dedicated HP DAC or amp (currently using old 5.5 gen 30gb ipod video). I previously had the Emotiva DC-1, but thought the HP amp was "ok" and found it to be a little noisy (hissing sound) with even my (ultra) low end earbuds. Having said that, I did really like it as a DAC, or even as a DAC/preamp in my main system.

I have a few pairs of mid level HPs currently, but I am thinking of taking the plunge into some better stuff. While I do not plan to get any super hard to drive ortho's in the near future, I want to buy a HP amp that kind of "future-proof" me for any type of HP I may purchase later. (electrostats not included)

Has anyone tried the HE-6 with the Ragnarok, and if so, what did you think?

Thanks!

I personally thought the combo was very good, especially if you listen loudly. The magic definitely comes alive on there. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,184 of 6,061
Just want to know whether I need to use the Hifiman adaptor to connect HE6 to my integrated tube amp, rating 30W@8 Ohm.
BTw, the amp is ARS Sonum Filarmonia SE.

Yes. It is a transformer coupled tube amp, which requires a load at all times to prevent things from going boom.

You technically don't need the adapter per se. Just a simple 10ohm resistor paralleled across the outputs is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back