Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Aug 24, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4,157 of 6,061
I'm kinda confused. Should I look for Class A,A/B, D? Does it matter?
Class A can have less wattage? I have very very little knowledge regarding audio...I just pay. 
As I mentioned in the HE-6 thread, my budget is around 2,5k, but pref as cheap as possible :D 

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #4,159 of 6,061
Class A can have less wattage? I have very very little knowledge regarding audio...I just pay. 
As I mentioned in the HE-6 thread, my budget is around 2,5k, but pref as cheap as possible :D 

Check out the Xindak XA6950 which is for sale at HiFiSentralen ... it's only NOK 3000,-

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #4,161 of 6,061
I know I may be getting myself into trouble here, but here goes... Ever since I have been on Head-Fi, I have read people saying that the Lyr (the original) does not pair well with the HE-6. I thus never truly considered purchasing one as that was my most powerful amp. With the discontinuation of the headphone and a sale of a demo pair, I went ahead and purchased them. I do not see anything wrong with how they sound. Maybe it is the tubes I am using (Tesla 7DJ8s) or my DAC (Yggy), but they sound very good. The sound is very dynamic with good bass. They sound great on my Lyr. Does anyone have any suggestions for music that might show some weakness in them? I know it is odd, but I really do want to see what I am missing (if I am missing anything) with my current setup. If not, does anyone have a suggestion for an amp that I would see at RMAF that would show me how far the HE-6 can climb? I did hear them last year at RMAF, and I think my Lyr makes them sound just as good as the amp that HIFIMan had.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #4,162 of 6,061
I know I may be getting myself into trouble here, but here goes... Ever since I have been on Head-Fi, I have read people saying that the Lyr (the original) does not pair well with the HE-6. I thus never truly considered purchasing one as that was my most powerful amp. With the discontinuation of the headphone and a sale of a demo pair, I went ahead and purchased them. I do not see anything wrong with how they sound. Maybe it is the tubes I am using (Tesla 7DJ8s) or my DAC (Yggy), but they sound very good. The sound is very dynamic with good bass. They sound great on my Lyr. Does anyone have any suggestions for music that might show some weakness in them? I know it is odd, but I really do want to see what I am missing (if I am missing anything) with my current setup. If not, does anyone have a suggestion for an amp that I would see at RMAF that would show me how far the HE-6 can climb? I did hear them last year at RMAF, and I think my Lyr makes them sound just as good as the amp that HIFIMan had.

I'm using the Lyr currently as well, while I save for an upgrade. I don't think they sound bad out of the Lyr, but I thought they gained a ton of dynamic punch on the Ragnarok and out of the K1K output on the Stratus.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #4,163 of 6,061

You're setting yourself to have your mind blown...

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,164 of 6,061

The differences are in how the amplification output is produced.

Purists will tell you big heavy class A amps are the way to go. There's some truth in that. I seem to recall responding to your original post and pointing you towards a bunch of small light class D options as well.

You can get a $100 Topping amp that will power the HE-6 just fine. Or you can spend all $2.5k on an 80 lb monster that's the size of your desk.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #4,165 of 6,061
I have been driving my new HE - 6 through audio-gd nfb 10.33. High gain, balanced mode. 50% volume level is the loudest I am listening to, I did go up to 80% and did not hear any distortion. If I ever see a speaker amp setup in Toronto I will be happy to try, but for now I am content. Just putting it out here for anyone looking for a cheap(ish) all-in-one solution. Some day I will go up to the Master 11, just not now. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,166 of 6,061
Okay, so a friend of mine is getting rid of this Harmon/Kardon PM640Vxi and has offered to let me demo it with my HE-6. I'm pretty new to this speaker tap thing, so I'm hoping for some advice here. It appears to offer 45W into 4 or 8ohms (selectable by a switch on the back) and a "High Instantaneous Current Capability" of +/- 18 amps (quoting the manual here) which sounds like it could be a good thing...

ON TO THE QUESTIONS:
1. There is a 4 ohm and 8 ohm selector on the back. Which setting should I use?

2. I have the HE Adaptor. Does this / will this affect the sound negatively on a solid state amp? Would it be better to get an XLR female to banana plug extension? 

Link to manual:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/279223/Harman-Kardon-Pm640vxi.html#manual

Here's a pic of the amp:

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #4,167 of 6,061
You should use the 8 Ohm selector and if it's a solid state amplifier the HE-adaptor box isn't needed. I have read that some people feel that the HE-adaptor degrades sound slightly.

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4,169 of 6,061
I use a 100 Watt Resistor Based Volume Control inline with my SS amps.  This way I have more "range" with my volume control and get rid of hiss.  Below is the measured resistor values of the V-control.  I just stuck it in a nice metal box.

36 db30 db24 db21 db18 db15 db12 db9 db6 db0 db 
347 ohms171 ohms80 ohms54 ohms36.5 ohms23.5 ohms14.5 ohms8 ohms3.3 ohms 

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4,170 of 6,061
That's a stepped attenuator? Do you have it at the output of the amp? Where can one purchase such a thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back