Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Aug 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #1,711 of 6,061
Quote:
Here it is all plugged in
bigsmile_face.gif

Apparently "002" on the volume is already my normal listening volume...

There is still too much excitement surging through me so I can't say much so far. All I can say is I notice a ton of bass extension. I'm not blown away yet, but I'm definitely NOT disappointed! And none of my gear is warmed up yet!

that looks fantastic......

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,712 of 6,061
the KAV 400xi is the one amp i kind of regret selling.  love the UI and aesthetics.  sounded great driving my ATC monitors.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #1,713 of 6,061
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

There is still too much excitement surging through me so I can't say much so far. All I can say is I notice a ton of bass extension. I'm not blown away yet, but I'm definitely NOT disappointed! And none of my gear is warmed up yet!

test_in_progress.jpg

tongue_smile.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #1,714 of 6,061
Here are my impressions so far.

The Krell does very very well with this DAC. This amp sounds invisible. It just brings out the best qualities of the HE-6 and the 7.32. The soundstage is bigger and the layering of the instruments is a lot better. Because of those qualities it sounds more detailed too (lets you pick out instruments very easily). Drums sound very tight, not flabby at all. The bass is just simply amazing. Really matches what "preproman's" are with powerful speaker amps. I'm sure the amount of power has to do with it. It has a similar effect of everything else too! Everything just sounds so REAL. Everything just has this new level of subtle clarity. Also the lows and highs just have endless extension now.

This combo is very very engaging, it might be a bit too much as I'm starting to feel a bit fatigue (I was also listening a lot louder than usual today). Reminds me a lot of the type of fatigue I felt when I heard the Grado RS-1i for the first time using a warm DAP. Again it could have been the higher than normal volume, but I could see how many many people would not like this combo especially if they are used to a warm setup. Definitely doesn't seem to match the complaints of HE-6 adopters that complained about shrilly highs though. If you like the sound of vinyl and tubes, you better run for the hills. Seems like the Master-7 (described by reviews) would be the better DAC for this amp since it doesn't lean towards the bright side of neutral.

One thing is for certain, this setup really gives the Stax SR-009 a run for the money.

Sorry if I'm not very descriptive. I'm bad at putting down my observations into words.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,715 of 6,061
I think you did fine expressing yourself. Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule, not to mention sleep, to address us. How much heat does that bad boy generate? Is it decent and only warm to the touch or caution?!

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,716 of 6,061
Oh this thing gets quite hot for an amp, hotter than the Marantz PM-84 I used to have. I don't feel uncomfortable putting my hand on it, but it is definitely hot. Feels like a nice steamy towel from a Chinese restaurant to wipe your hands with. I'm thinking about attaching inaudible PC fans to cool this thing down.

Silent One, are you Cantonese?

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #1,717 of 6,061
Quote:
Oh this thing gets quite hot for an amp, hotter than the Marantz PM-84 I used to have. I don't feel uncomfortable putting my hand on it, but it is definitely hot. Feels like a nice steamy towel from a Chinese restaurant to wipe your hands with. I'm thinking about attaching inaudible PC fans to cool this thing down.

Silent One, are you Cantonese?

Err don't. Components are designed to run at certain temperature.  Cooling it down may have adverse effect, not to mention vibration.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #1,718 of 6,061
Quote:
Here are my impressions so far.

The Krell does very very well with this DAC. This amp sounds invisible. It just brings out the best qualities of the HE-6 and the 7.32. The soundstage is bigger and the layering of the instruments is a lot better. Because of those qualities it sounds more detailed too (lets you pick out instruments very easily). Drums sound very tight, not flabby at all. The bass is just simply amazing. Really matches what "preproman's" are with powerful speaker amps. I'm sure the amount of power has to do with it. It has a similar effect of everything else too! Everything just sounds so REAL. Everything just has this new level of subtle clarity. Also the lows and highs just have endless extension now.

This combo is very very engaging, it might be a bit too much as I'm starting to feel a bit fatigue (I was also listening a lot louder than usual today). Reminds me a lot of the type of fatigue I felt when I heard the Grado RS-1i for the first time using a warm DAP. Again it could have been the higher than normal volume, but I could see how many many people would not like this combo especially if they are used to a warm setup. Definitely doesn't seem to match the complaints of HE-6 adopters that complained about shrilly highs though. If you like the sound of vinyl and tubes, you better run for the hills. Seems like the Master-7 (described by reviews) would be the better DAC for this amp since it doesn't lean towards the bright side of neutral.

One thing is for certain, this setup really gives the Stax SR-009 a run for the money.

Sorry if I'm not very descriptive. I'm bad at putting down my observations into words.

I haven't noticed my NFB-7 leaning to the 'bright side of neutral'. I doubt the Master-7 will be much different as both are described as neutral.

I recommend you give your amp time to settle in first. I have heard people say that Krell amps can be 'lively' in the highs especially when new.
Nice to hear your thoughts though.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #1,719 of 6,061
Quote:
I'm thinking about attaching inaudible PC fans to cool this thing down.

It's an amp, not a PC.  As long as nothing around it is melting or catching on fire... you are good to go.  Class A speakers amps for instance, you cannot even touch without loosing finger prints.  Heck even the GS-X mk2, a preamp more or less, runs at 50C.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #1,720 of 6,061
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

I'll be damned, the colour even matches your AudioGD DAC.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #1,721 of 6,061
Quote:

It will be interesting to know if that amp gets hotter than the First Watt amps.  You can fry an egg on those amps.  

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,722 of 6,061
I haven't noticed my NFB-7 leaning to the 'bright side of neutral'. I doubt the Master-7 will be much different as both are described as neutral.

I recommend you give your amp time to settle in first. I have heard people say that Krell amps can be 'lively' in the highs especially when new.
Nice to hear your thoughts though.

+1

If anything, the NFB-27 is smooth and on the warm side of neutral (not dark at all, though).
Warmer than all the other DACs own or owned, short of... The NFB-3.1!

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #1,724 of 6,061
Quote:
+1

If anything, the NFB-27 is smooth and on the warm side of neutral (not dark at all, though).
Warmer than all the other DACs own or owned, short of... The NFB-3.1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back