Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 24, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #5,866 of 9,207
Quote:
Quote:

Not saying what we have is total complete end-game, but Schiit made it really easy for us to buy what we have based on hard specs and backing it with a money-back guarantee..

If you find something and you actually like it more with both side-by-side, lemme know dude cuz shopping for this stuff is hard, but I'm all about getting the best gear for my money

Best gear for money, good luck bettering the Schiit.

However I could totally see upgrading Gungnir. Mjolnir is as solid as they come pending preference. So no worry, Chris.

para, you parted with the Gungnir?! I'm stunned. What are you moving on to?

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #5,867 of 9,207
Quote:

para, you parted with the Gungnir?! I'm stunned. What are you moving on to?

Was going to happen either way. I just feel statement DAC is going to be later than already planned.

I'm looking at the Hilo or PWD as a tide me over. Possibly a Lampizator or Cantata (if I can swing it) to just bypass the statement DAc.

I still miss Gungnir, however I felt it was clearly the bottleneck overall. With Mjolnir I feel completely the opposite though. :)

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #5,869 of 9,207
Quote:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB27/NFB27EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Reference10/RE10EN.htm

Is there a reason the PCM devices cost more than the Saber devices?

Quote from Audio-Gd's product page:

" [size=x-small]TI want to discontinued PCM1704 but there are still a lot hi-end fans love the real sound of the PCM1704UK.[/size]
[size=x-small]  The Reference 5.32 built in 4 pcs PCM1704UK which is cost USD 48 /pc from TI and USD70 / pc from market , cause the Reference 5.32 price costly than NFB-17.2 , and we can't confirm when it will discontinued .[/size]"

So according to them, the PCM1704UK is pricey. On those models, they often use 4 or more of the PCM chips instead of one single Sabre or a pair of (cheaper) WM chips, which adds to the price.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #5,871 of 9,207
Quote:
Best gear for money, good luck bettering the Schiit.

However I could totally see upgrading Gungnir. Mjolnir is as solid as they come pending preference. So no worry, Chris.

Yeah here's to finding a better DAC than Gungnir. I don't like all the clicks all the time, it's really annoying when it clicks on/off just because it's streaming Windows sounds like an error message, or like an IM from somebody. I'm hoping it's just user error because I'd otherwise be a happy camper.

Quote:
I just realized headphone prices are peanuts when you see how much the prices of amps and dacs can go to.

Nah, the headphones don't even really sound that much better with the high dollar stuff, I'm just anal retentive and audio gear is a good investment since you can have a lot of personal enjoyment, but head-fi makes it easy since there is a thriving 2ndhand market for all of this stuff.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #5,872 of 9,207
Quote:
I just realized headphone prices are peanuts when you see how much the prices of amps and dacs can go to.

Tell me about it...the temptation is now to match a specific amp to an HP... Lyr to LCD-2, Soloist to HE-500 etc... whew, the wallet, its becoming leaner by the day
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #5,873 of 9,207
I'd actually check Audiogon first rather than Head-fi. Head-fiers tend to want to lose maybe 10-20% on used sales where 'goners will sell stuff for 40-60% in a heartbeat.

Also, Maxvla seemed to think his new X-Sabre pooped all over Mjolnir. Consider that. It is quite good. I can attest to that after hearing it at the Austin meet.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #5,874 of 9,207
Quote:
I'd actually check Audiogon first rather than Head-fi. Head-fiers tend to want to lose maybe 10-20% on used sales where 'goners will sell stuff for 40-60% in a heartbeat.

Also, Maxvla seemed to think his new X-Sabre pooped all over Mjolnir. Consider that. It is quite good. I can attest to that after hearing it at the Austin meet.

Gungnir maybe??

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #5,877 of 9,207
I had audition LCD2, I love the bass and excellent with rock. Used it once using woo audio WA6 with sophia princess & Burson conductor. Both of which sound great with this amplifier. But what engage me more with the 2 is that the WA6 put them into other perspective. it has a wider soundstage, more musical to the ear and well focused tonality. I hope I could have both. But since don't have enough money to buy them, I would just settle for the LCD 2(still saving money to buy it/ or settle with a grado ps500) using my fiio e9.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #5,880 of 9,207
Hello Everybody,

I recently purchased the LCD2 with the Pan Am amp (from ALO audio) and a pair of Siemens 6AK5 W. I have been listening to this setup quite extensively and the sound is amazing! However, I have not try the LCD2 with any other amp/dac and I wanted your option on this matter. So basically, was it a good choice? Could I still improve my setup by using a different Dac (the Pan Am has a Dac)?

BTW, I am waiting for a Toxic Cable.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back