Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #5,851 of 9,207
Quote:
Plenty of people have used the LCD-2 with the M&M stack with no problems.

With that said, the budget Schiit isn't bringing out the LCD's to their full potential. 

But the stack is solid and easily listenable. 

+1

I've used the Magni with them and it does a great job. It powers them as good as they need. But at the end of the day, the LCD2's are a high end headphone and will of course benefit from better amping. I'm sure you will be happy with the Magni for now as there isn't a great lot of difference to the Asgard 1 IMO. Plus It will give you time to play with your LCD's and see how you like them. You can then decide which direction you want to go. I found that if you pair the Magni with a half decent dac, then you've already got a good LCD2 set up. The LCD2's are very transparent with source, I would say more so than with amping requirements.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #5,853 of 9,207
WA3 is OTL, designed for high impedance. Not a good match.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #5,855 of 9,207
I am the new owner of an LCD-2. I am awaiting the arrival of the CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 to drive it as a transportable unit. (along with Heir CIEM's). I am keeping an eye out for an eventual desktop DAC/AMP rig so following this thread. Interesting...This could get expensive! LOL

Plan on me chiming in with stupid questions

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #5,856 of 9,207
I'm thinking of upgrading my amp/dac in the fall and will have at least $1200 to spend.  I like my NFB's sound a great deal and would like to not stray too far from it.  Is there an amp/dac combo around this price that would suit my needs?  I can't upgrade my DAC without also upgrading the amp, so I would either need a new combo or two new units.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #5,857 of 9,207
Quote:
Ok. I understand now. Thanks. But anybody got any views of LCD-2 + Woo Audio WA3?

Heard it at a meet, not a bad combo to have, a little warm and mid-rangey for my taste though. I prefer solid state most of the time for something like LCD-2, HD800 is a different story.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #5,858 of 9,207
I really like my Audio gd c2.2 with the LCD2's. I pair it with an Arcam Rdac and it sounds great to me and its well with in your budget. The price of the C2.2 is great for what you get, and that means you could keep the Audio gd sound that you like and spend a bit more on source. Possibly a Yulong Sabre 32 bit dac?

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #5,859 of 9,207
Quote:
I'm thinking of upgrading my amp/dac in the fall and will have at least $1200 to spend.  I like my NFB's sound a great deal and would like to not stray too far from it.  Is there an amp/dac combo around this price that would suit my needs?  I can't upgrade my DAC without also upgrading the amp, so I would either need a new combo or two new units.

NFB-1.32  +  NFB-6

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #5,860 of 9,207
Quote:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB27/NFB27EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Reference10/RE10EN.htm

Is there a reason the PCM devices cost more than the Saber devices?

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #5,861 of 9,207
even with the best tubes, my WA2 could not drive the LCD-2 properly, rawrbington seems to have had similar experiences. i can only imagine the WA3 to be worse.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #5,863 of 9,207
Quote:
Well... I'll be selling my Gungnir and Mjolnir soon, though I'm looking at 1300. :p

Not saying what we have is total complete end-game, but Schiit made it really easy for us to buy what we have based on hard specs and backing it with a money-back guarantee..

If you find something and you actually like it more with both side-by-side, lemme know dude cuz shopping for this stuff is hard, but I'm all about getting the best gear for my money

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #5,864 of 9,207
Quote:

Not saying what we have is total complete end-game, but Schiit made it really easy for us to buy what we have based on hard specs and backing it with a money-back guarantee..

If you find something and you actually like it more with both side-by-side, lemme know dude cuz shopping for this stuff is hard, but I'm all about getting the best gear for my money

Best gear for money, good luck bettering the Schiit.

However I could totally see upgrading Gungnir. Mjolnir is as solid as they come pending preference. So no worry, Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back