Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #5,898 of 9,207
In nz we pay tax once gst would amount to $50 or more, i.e. anything which, including shipping, comes to us$330 or more. Means almost nothing audiophile escapes the tax and additional handling and bio-monitoring charges.

However, import volumes are high and sometimes they just let stuff through free of charge.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #5,899 of 9,207
I'm looking for a balanced amp for my LCD 2 rev.2. (Bamboo)

What does everyone here recommend?
It would be great if it was under the $600 mark.

Planning on getting a DAC with a Sabre ES9018 Chip, but not sure how much better it is over something like a PCM1795.
What do you think?

Tim

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #5,900 of 9,207
Could I have you advise on which DAC to choose : the Schiit Bifrost or the Schiit Gungnir. I am playing on using the RCA input. Is the $400 worth the jump? Or should I look for another brand? Do you have any other suggestion?

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #5,902 of 9,207
Hey guys should I get the bitfrost + lyr or lehmann linear USB? The prices are abt 150 usd diff with the lehmann bring more ez

I own the Lehmann Linear without USB. It's very neutral and all that, but the USB option is supposedly not so great. A DAC+ Amp combo is the better choice imho, also because you might want to upgrade one of the components at a later point which is easier when they are separate.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #5,904 of 9,207
I don't normally do this (not read a thread from beginning to end), but I really tried and I tried some more, and I read the last 30 pages and I searched through this one, and I found nothing conclusive.

My budget is 5-600 but the lower the better. I'm pretty set on an ODAC or perhaps another Modi which leaves me with around $450 for an Amp. Buying a $450 amp is on the high side but if it makes that much more of an improvement over, say, an Asgard 2, then I'll consider it.

I don't really want to roll tubes but I want enough power for my LCD-2 so that's why i'm kind of leaning away from the Lyr but at the same time torn. By the time I get done tube rolling, I could have just bought a Soloist or something like that but the Lyr will give me the power I need and then some. 

I'm more of a solid state person anyway since they tend to be more transparent and much less maintenance. My initial thought was Asgard 2 but from what i'm reading it seems like while it gets the job done, I could benefit from a higher powered amp. 

Any recommendations you guys have would be great. Should I indeed go ahead with the ODAC or simply get another Modi? I like the aesthetics of Schiit (hhhehehe) but I do kind of want to try out the ODAC since it is supposedly more transparent.

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #5,905 of 9,207
^ are you sure you need loads of power? This is not an HE-6.

'LCD2 is easy to drive' is one point many agree on.
Case in point - I have several amps ranging from 500mW (driven from a 2Vrms source) to 4W (Lyr).
All are ample - power is not what differentiates their quality as LCD2 amps.

With so many amps available, and relatively few head-fiers able to get together and compare performance under ideal and matched conditions, it's not surprising you cannot find consensus at your price point.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #5,906 of 9,207
I went thru several amps, the Lyr and Asgard...and sold them all and kept (2) O2 amps and (2) ODACs...

I drive my LCD2's very nicely and am totally satisfied...

World class performance on a beer budget...

Alex

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #5,907 of 9,207
Quote:
^ are you sure you need loads of power? This is not an HE-6.

'LCD2 is easy to drive' is one point many agree on.
Case in point - I have several amps ranging from 500mW (driven from a 2Vrms source) to 4W (Lyr).
All are ample - power is not what differentiates their quality as LCD2 amps.

With so many amps available, and relatively few head-fiers able to get together and compare performance under ideal and matched conditions, it's not surprising you cannot find consensus at your price point.

That's the beauty of this thread. I have the Lyr and the Burson Soloist. Amazing amps both for the LCD 2.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #5,908 of 9,207
Yup...many flavors and tastes for all....

The Asgard and the Lyr drove the LCD2's I have with out any issues....after months of use with each and within a few weeks with the O2 amps I decided for "me" that
the sound with the o2 amp was indeed very close to what the source was in accuracty, tonality etc..it is to "me' totally transparent, allows me to hear what the LCD2's really can do
with well recorded and mastered audio....I got tired of chasing the elusive amp, tube, combinations that provide audio nirvana.

Having an amp that is designed to be basically a straight wire with gain, be totally quiet etc is the way to go vs chasing a 'sound' that can change from song to song, album to album etc..

All the best
Alex

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #5,909 of 9,207
I'm not sure if the LCD-2 need gobs of power so that's why I asked. :p

Your responses are much appreciated. Thank you for the information. I will stick to a beer budget and leave my wallet room to buy actual micro brews to drink while listening. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back