Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Apr 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #5,926 of 9,207
Quote:

Mjolnir 

Check my sig
biggrin.gif

Out of all your amps :Balanced βeta-22 / Balanced M^3 / First Watt F1J / GS-X mk2

Which do you prefer more?
I was thinking of either the GS-X mk2 or the Mjolnir.

Tim

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5,927 of 9,207
Quote:
Out of all your amps :Balanced βeta-22 / Balanced M^3 / First Watt F1J / GS-X mk2

Which do you prefer more?
I was thinking of either the GS-X mk2 or the Mjolnir.

Tim

I use to own the BHA-1 and I had the Mjolnir at home for a while.  Sold the BHA-1 but still like it with any LCD.  Same with the Mjolnir, really liked it with any LCDs.  Problem was IMO they didn't sound good with any other headphones.

The M^3 is now the bedroom rig where the CK use to be.

I like the GS-X mk and the B22 equally.  The F1J is a speaker amp that works great with the HE-6.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #5,928 of 9,207
Quote:

I use to own the BHA-1 and I had the Mjolnir at home for a while.  Sold the BHA-1 but still like it with any LCD.  Same with the Mjolnir, really liked it with any LCDs.  Problem was IMO they didn't sound good with any other headphones.

The M^3 is now the bedroom rig where the CK use to be.

I like the GS-X mk and the B22 equally.  The F1J is a speaker amp that works great with the HE-6.

Ah, so you're saying the BHA-1 & Mjolnir only sounds good with the LCD's?
Not even with HE-500 or HE-6?

Would you say that the GS-X mk2 sounds better than the Mjolnir?

I'm mainly just going to use it with LCD-2 Rev. 2's, then upgrade to LCD-3's later on.
Maybe that's a good choice?

If the GS-X is better and works well with other headphones, that seems like a better choice.
Since you know more than me, i take your input for granted.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #5,929 of 9,207
Quote:
Ah, so you're saying the BHA-1 & Mjolnir only sounds good with the LCD's?
YES - Only IMO

Not even with HE-500 or HE-6?
HE-500 yes HE-6 no  Still better with the LCDs  IMO

Would you say that the GS-X mk2 sounds better than the Mjolnir?
Yes  IMO

I'm mainly just going to use it with LCD-2 Rev. 2's, then upgrade to LCD-3's later on.
Maybe that's a good choice?
Yes - good choice.  IMO

If the GS-X is better and works well with other headphones, that seems like a better choice.
Since you know more than me, i take your input for granted.
Only my opinion.  But yes

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #5,930 of 9,207
Thanks.
It's decided, i'm going to get the HeadAmp GS-X mk2,

Time to save up some more..

Tim

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #5,932 of 9,207
Quote:

Yeah but the Mjolnir is ready to purchase now.  The GS-X mk2 won't be ready until summer time at best.  Also The Schiit Statement amp is coming out as well.

HoldupHoldupHoldupHoldupHoldup!! Tell me more about this Schiit statement amp or at least refer me to a thread about it ^^

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #5,933 of 9,207
Yes, i'm very curious about this Statement Amp as well.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5,934 of 9,207
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #5,935 of 9,207
Quote:
Has anyone had the chance to try both the new Taboo and the Bryston together? Or the Soloist and the Bryston for that matter. 

I haven't heard the Taboo at all, but have heard both the Soloist and Bryston, though in different circumstances.  What I did is hear both of them shortly after hearing a Woo WA22.

I heard the Soloist and WA22 at RMAF with LCD-3's - and thought that both sounded excellent, though different - the Woo being more dynamic and full of the texture/coloufullness (not "colored sound") of live music, and the Soloist being a bit more focused on the nuance of inner detail.  Both excellent, and while I personally prefer the Woo's presentation, I can see somebody liking either presentation - it's a matter of personal choice.  FWIW...the Dac's were the DAC portion of the Conductor being outputted to the Soloist (which didn't sound as good as the Conductor on its own), and the Woo DAC, which are likely comparable performance-wise.

When I heard the Bryston at the Montreal show right before hearing the Woo WA6SE and WA22 (they were conveniently located across the hall from each other), there was no comparison - the Woo's were better on every level IMHO.  I was able to listen to the same exact tracks on the 2, which took out a potential variable.  Of course, part of that might be a preference for the Woo DAC over the Bryston - but the Woo DAC is less than half the price of the Bryston.  Once again, I listened to these with LCD-3's, which are similar but not identical in amp requirements to the LCD-2.

So...by deduction/calculation...you can say that I much prefer the Soloist to the Bryston.  As a bonus, it's cheaper too - in fact, an absolute bargain IMHO.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #5,937 of 9,207
Apr 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #5,938 of 9,207
So...by deduction/calculation...you can say that I much prefer the Soloist to the Bryston.  As a bonus, it's cheaper too - in fact, an absolute bargain IMHO.

Transitive properties don't work in audio gear chains.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #5,939 of 9,207
The Mjolnir amp is quite the synergistic match for the LCD's. I think one would have to be remiss not to at least consider the Mjolnir amp with the Audeze phones. I find it very hard to believe that this amp would not drive other cans just as well; however never having personally tried any others I cannot speak to that. The problem is you start to get into massive subjectivity on every little point and no one will hear everything exactly the same as someone else will.

BTW I was able to tweak some settings on JRiver and got it to quit skipping out almost 100% so that is really nice. I can say this rig is starting to sound so awesome it is almost unbelievable to me. I would really like to hear some other phones on this system to see just how they would sound as the amp certainly has adequate power and cleanliness to drive almost anything except maybe the Stax lineup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back