Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #5,716 of 9,207
Well, to me, I consider soundstage as a means of quantifying the largeness of the perception of sound with measurement terms such as width, height, and depth. Then there are different aspects of the sound, instrument placement accuracy and separation, which describes the peculiarities of imaging that the headphones render. Again, I'm not saying this is universal of any sort but just opining.
Quote:
If that isn´t soundstage then what is soundstage. there is nothing left? Soundstaging for me is a combination of those terms.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #5,718 of 9,207
Quote:
So how about them amplifiers...

Which ones?
tongue.gif

But seriously, good point! We did get a little off track there...

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #5,720 of 9,207
Quote:
Having transducers that are so hard to drive can also be inferred as a "poorer" design no? 

Orthos by nature have a flat impedance vs. frequency response (HE-6s are the same as the LCD-2/3s in this regard), so should we penalize them for that, when that's their nature? I think I can make an argument that designing a headphone transducer that sounds great without an UBER expensive amp that can handle the "swings" of the HD800s is a good thing? I realize that this is a taboo around here, but I've been thinking about it recently. 

I would argue that many dynamic louspeakers have the impedance that they have because that's just the nature of that kind of beast.
wink_face.gif

It's just reality, as headphone owners, we need to get an amp that can drive the headphone impedance.

Douglas Self has said that speaker designers should work on building a good sounding loudspeaker, not an easy to drive loudspeaker.
The amplifier designers (like Douglas Self) will then design an amplifier to drive that loudspeaker.
Of course, this all assumes the speaker designers will design a loudspekaer with a reasonable load, i.e. not like some of the early MartinLogans which had the impedance of a nail. 
redface.gif

Cheers, C

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #5,721 of 9,207
Quote:
I would argue that many dynamic louspeakers have the impedance that they have because that's just the nature of that kind of beast.
wink_face.gif

It's just reality, as headphone owners, we need to get an amp that can drive the headphone impedance.

Douglas Self has said that speaker designers should work on building a good sounding loudspeaker, not an easy to drive loudspeaker.
The amplifier designers (like Douglas Self) will then design an amplifier to drive that loudspeaker.
Of course, this all assumes the speaker designers will design a loudspekaer with a reasonable load, i.e. not like some of the early MartinLogans which had the impedance of a nail. 
redface.gif

Cheers, C

There's a balance I think. Like you said, it "assumes speaker designers will design a loudspeaker with a reasonable load". But what defines the word reasonable? 
size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #5,722 of 9,207
Is it possible to tell if an amp can power the lcd2 just by looking at its voltage? I am deciding whether or not to go all out on the LCD 2 or get the cheap-skate lcd2, the hd650. One of my worries are the budget I have left for my amp after buying the lcd2 is not enough to buy a good amp.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #5,723 of 9,207
Quote:
Is it possible to tell if an amp can power the lcd2 just by looking at its voltage? I am deciding whether or not to go all out on the LCD 2 or get the cheap-skate lcd2, the hd650. One of my worries are the budget I have left for my amp after buying the lcd2 is not enough to buy a good amp.

Take the better headphone every time, imho.

Headphone>source>amp.

Just my $0.02.....

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #5,724 of 9,207
The true answer would be to shop around and perfectly mate the best value combo, but unfortunately, there is no place in the world that allows you to go demo all this gear in one quiet listening room so you kind of have to weigh the opinions of others who also have not heard all variations available. Makes it tough. That is where I am at ATM.

I rather enjoyed the LCD3, but to say that an amp won't make a difference on a headphone that can handle 15 watts is a stretch too. It would be nice if I could get the LCD3 for $1,500 so I could pair it with my $1,500 Decware Zen Taboo MK3 and make the $3000 budget, but I also need a DAC. I started with the Amp first and that isn't normal, but I fell in love with the Decware gear! Whatever you do at that level you will love it. Also, keep in mind that the LCDs are not super comfortable for long sessions if that is a consideration. That is what has me taking pause for now. I really enjoyed the LCD3, but they are not nearly as comfortable as some of the other high end cans. I haven't been able to demo the LCD2.2 yet which is what I was originally set upon buying. The comfort thing has me back in my underground lair working up a new diabolical master plan for world sound domination :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #5,725 of 9,207
True but you still have to find a right balance and compromise if within a limited budget. i.e) $2000 LCD3 isn't a smart choice when you can have 93% of the same sound with half the price.
Quote:
Take the better headphone every time, imho.

Headphone>source>amp.

Just my $0.02.....

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #5,726 of 9,207
Quote:
True but you still have to find a right balance and compromise if within a limited budget. i.e) $2000 LCD3 isn't a smart choice when you can have 93% of the same sound with half the price.

Blah. LCD-3 brings in over x2 the enjoyment of LCD-2.

IMO, spend a few more $ and get the HD800. The LCD-2 is good, but not special. 

I also love your 93% figure. Haha. 
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #5,727 of 9,207
If the HD800 looked as good as an LCD2 in rosewood, I would have already made the decision. Unfortunately, I think it looks like a cheap plastic headphone. Just my opinion. With my tube settup I am assembling, it would take the edge off the HD800 sound. I really didn't enjoy the HD800 out of a very expensive SS Fostex amp/dac as much. The pairing really does make a huge difference, IMO. In fact I was amazed at how much difference synergy can create. Unfortunately, no where to go to play around with a bunch of equipment except an occasional head-fi meet. This board really is vital to getting things figured out.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #5,728 of 9,207
Quote:

The 650's are a lot more amp picky than the LCD2's. LCD2's will play well with most quality amps, but the 650's need loads of voltage.

Also depends on what music you listen too. If you want a great alrounder then the 650's. If you want a more intimate dark sound with brilliant resolution then LCD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back