Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #5,746 of 9,207
nteresting tidbit... Just found out today that Audeze is not pronounced "Ah-Deez" but like the word "Odyssey". Learn something new every day... 
font]

You're welcome...

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #5,747 of 9,207
Quote:
Interesting tidbit... Just found out today that Audeze is not pronounced "Ah-Deez" but like the word "Odyssey". Learn something new every day... 
tongue.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #5,749 of 9,207
i already knew, from hearing people pronounce them on videos and such.

my old roommate, when i bought my own pair of LCD-2, he saw the box arrive and hes like "OMG! its Audeze LCD-2!@#!@#" he was just joking since he doesn't know much about my headphones nor ever heard of them. but i was surprised when i heard that he pronounced audeze perfectly without knowing about them or anything.

i think most people would say "ah-deez" as well.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #5,750 of 9,207
I'm on a shoestring budget right now in terms of driving the LCD2's. My budget is 200-300 max unfortunately I can't budge on that. Any recommendations on an Amp and DAC combo? I was looking at the Modi-Magni and the O2-ODAC but haven't the slightest clue as to which is better. Perhaps I should get the Project Sunrise and put the DAC on hold but I don't think thats ideal.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #5,751 of 9,207
definitely keep the DAC in the setup, especially for getting most bang for the buck at such a low budget.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #5,752 of 9,207
Reports say O2/ODAC is ever so slightly better. I'd go with Schiit because it looks nice though. And it's cheaper.
Quote:
I'm on a shoestring budget right now in terms of driving the LCD2's. My budget is 200-300 max unfortunately I can't budge on that. Any recommendations on an Amp and DAC combo? I was looking at the Modi-Magni and the O2-ODAC but haven't the slightest clue as to which is better. Perhaps I should get the Project Sunrise and put the DAC on hold but I don't think thats ideal.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #5,754 of 9,207
Quote:

Haven't heard the O2, but the Magni is a good match. Its set at high gain though, so doesn't give you much control of the volume. Sounds nice, clean and fast :)

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #5,756 of 9,207
Quote:
Haven't heard the O2, but the Magni is a good match. Its set at high gain though, so doesn't give you much control of the volume. Sounds nice, clean and fast :)

Once you move up the train, the Magni quickly gets overshadowed by it's bigger brothers. Asgard 2 should be pretty impressive, it already looks great on paper. The difference between Gungnir and Bifrost is quite audible and most DAC's have been a waste of money or a marginal upgrade in my experience after a certain point. I think smart shopping accounts for the hobby, not just how much money you spent. Thats why I do not like LCD-3 at all, I feel the difference is less than 10% between LCD-2 and 3 having spent an hour with one to myself. HD800 is the sonic successor to LCD-2 to me. If you make a hobby of buying amps (incredibly boring hobby lol), the LCD-2 will not bring you much joy.

Going from HDP to Lyr to NFB-15.1 to Mjolnir hasn't really net me a huge crazy butt ton amount of improvement. Before you slap me with the diminishing returns BS, keep in mind that even if it's a worse headphone objectively, like K701, HD650, or T1 which I've tried, those actually end up scaling way better than LCD-2. Perhaps that is a testament to the LCD-2's efficiency, but something is telling me that the recessed treble signature and midrange bloat somewhat neuters it's absolute transparency.

Regardless I think Schit pretty much dominates the LCD-2 amp-space right now. I feel somewhat sad as I've always been an RSA fanboy but the Schiit pricepoints for what I get are just too good and it's not like I'm made of money LOL. I mean for the price of an HR-2 I'm getting a fully balanced amp with a brushed aluminum case and two choices of outputs. (4-pin neutrik is way easier to deal with than dual 3-pins)

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #5,757 of 9,207
Quote:

Once you move up the train, the Magni quickly gets overshadowed by it's bigger brothers. Asgard 2 should be pretty impressive, it already looks great on paper. The difference between Gungnir and Bifrost is quite audible and most DAC's have been a waste of money or a marginal upgrade in my experience after a certain point. I think smart shopping accounts for the hobby, not just how much money you spent. Thats why I do not like LCD-3 at all, I feel the difference is less than 10% between LCD-2 and 3 having spent an hour with one to myself. HD800 is the sonic successor to LCD-2 to me. If you make a hobby of buying amps (incredibly boring hobby lol), the LCD-2 will not bring you much joy.

Going from HDP to Lyr to NFB-15.1 to Mjolnir hasn't really net me a huge crazy butt ton amount of improvement. Before you slap me with the diminishing returns BS, keep in mind that even if it's a worse headphone objectively, like K701, HD650, or T1 which I've tried, those actually end up scaling way better than LCD-2. Perhaps that is a testament to the LCD-2's efficiency, but something is telling me that the recessed treble signature and midrange bloat somewhat neuters it's absolute transparency.

Regardless I think Schit pretty much dominates the LCD-2 amp-space right now. I feel somewhat sad as I've always been an RSA fanboy but the Schiit pricepoints for what I get are just too good and it's not like I'm made of money LOL. I mean for the price of an HR-2 I'm getting a fully balanced amp with a brushed aluminum case and two choices of outputs. (4-pin neutrik is way easier to deal with than dual 3-pins)

Good post.

Yeah I've tried lots of amps and dacs (none high end), and you are right regarding dacs making less of an improvment once you get to a certain stage. I think the synergy with amps is more important normally but defo less so with the LCD2's. Power is the key with these. My Audio gd is still the best I've heard with the LCD2's, or any headphone for that matter.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #5,758 of 9,207
Quote:
Good post.

Yeah I've tried lots of amps and dacs (none high end), and you are right regarding dacs making less of an improvment once you get to a certain stage. I think the synergy with amps is more important normally but defo less so with the LCD2's. Power is the key with these. My Audio gd is still the best I've heard with the LCD2's, or any headphone for that matter.

Yeah a lot of people will project what they work, but if anybody asks me what amps I want for the LCD-2, the best answer I could come up with is in the form of a list, not so much one particular thing because if amps are intended to deliver power with the least amount of interference, any "tonality" is just a lower signal to noise ratio IMO. I'd rather hear more of my music than any sort of bloat. Thats why I am a large fan of companies who are as transparent about their amp builds as possible. AudioGD, Ray Samuels, Schiit, etc. I don't buy into these boutique brands who hide everything under the case.

Not that I know enough circuit engineering to do any damage if I were to build my own amp, but it's nice to compare amps spec to spec instead of a lot of buzzwords.

You can say I have it out for the amp/source market haha. I just like headphones.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #5,759 of 9,207

Wow.....I disagree on almost all of the above regarding the LCD2 & LCD3.

Just goes to show how subjective all of this really is. On the bright side, you can save a ton of money in upgrades.:wink:

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #5,760 of 9,207
Quote:
Wow.....I disagree on almost all of the above regarding the LCD2 & LCD3.

Just goes to show how subjective all of this really is. On the bright side, you can save a ton of money in upgrades.
wink.gif

What rig are you running?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back