Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #5,404 of 9,207
Any amp that is good with the LCD2 and with the H800?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #5,407 of 9,207
Quote:
Wow, gents. This thread has reached truly epic levels of pretentiousness. Less monocle-polishing, more LCD2 ampage.

I don't wear a monocle.
Just sayin'  
wink_face.gif

Maybe I should leave you guys to your amp talk.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #5,408 of 9,207
Jan 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #5,412 of 9,207
I'll throw in the Audio-gd Master 8 to the mix, but I'd honestly be surprised if it were possible to make a bad choice out of any of the serious balanced solid-state amps with output of a few Watts.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #5,413 of 9,207
Jan 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #5,414 of 9,207
When I saw you said "concert halls are typically poor places for listening to music", I know we belong to two totally different hi-fi group. For me, listening to music means listen to real life experience. I want to listen to music in a way that Beethoven wants his audience to hear. Many violin concertos have violin solo with extremely high frequency. The reason is the composers know the walls of concert hall will roll off the high frequency significantly. If you tell a composer to write something just for head-fi, I bet he will no longer use frequency as high.

Anyway, I agree there are many head-fiers like you who just love the unreal music experience. That's nothing wrong with it. However, as a joke, there are also many folks who will trade their very hi end music gears with you if you can provide unlimited concert tickets to them. 
Quote:

Concert halls are typically poor places for listening to music.  Some are much worse than others but even the best will add unwanted reflections/resonances.  Higher frequencies have much higher decay than lower which is the reason for the "darker" overall sound.

Many folks like brighter headphones for classical because it lets them hear more easily all the great upper frequency information that is lost in live performances much of the time.  Lets face it, how many of us get to listen to a string quartet at 3m in an acoustically inert room?  This is however what a good recording can closely represent. Many like the accentuation of information that they typically don't get to hear, but it's a fine line you walk with bright cans, as in my experience bright often walks hand in hand with more fatigue.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #5,415 of 9,207
[size=10pt]Unfortunately, you miss a big point of classical music even though you have played in orchestras before. Classical music composers in 18th century have no idea about several hundred years later many people will just use their headphones to listen to their musics. As a result, those composers composed music that will be listened in concert halls, i.e. the music played in concert hall is the music that the composers want audience to hear. To do so, composers would write violins solos with significantly higher notes in order to let the concert hall walls roll off them. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Overall, I regret that as a former orchestra player you prefer technical side of the sound to the real feeling of the music. Also, when I saw you said "Listening at home conveys more accuracy than buying expensive tickets to see any orchestra, regardless of how talented it is", I suspect your short orchestra playing experience may be an unpleasant one, which makes you do not want to ever be present in a concert hall again. I can accept that many people prefer the hi-fi sound to the live concert, but downplaying the talent of an orchestra will not come from a real classical music fan.[/size]

Quote:

I definitely agree that "concert halls are typically poor places for listening to music", and moreover will add that concert halls are really bad for listening to classical music. Of course, most live classical music is performed in concert halls, so it's also inescapable. I feel sorry for anyone who listens to classical music who's only heard it live in a concert hall, and thinks that's how headphones should present the music - as in, that "sitting away from the orchestra in a concert hall" kind of thinking. Because more than likely, in most classical recording sessions, the microphones are literally placed over the orchestra (suspended from the ceiling), or really close around it on stands. It's actually more accurate to not have a fake soundstage imposed on the music (I'm looking at you HD800!).

I have a bias here, as I've been able to play in orchestras before and know how close the entire orchestra can sound relative to the first-violin section (really close!). I view headphones that capture the sense of the orchestra as a massive entity virtually surrounding you to be more accurate than those that don't - and a headphone that puts you in the conductor's spot is even better, because that gives you the best "view" of the orchestra, aurally speaking. The entire orchestra up-close is something most people don't get to hear, which is too bad, because it's awesome-sounding.
smile.gif

Concert halls are so bad for listening to classical that I'd actually recommend that folks listen to a recording on headphones, or speakers as the case might be. Listening at home conveys more accuracy than buying expensive tickets to see any orchestra, regardless of how talented it is. Not that I'm discounting seeing the talent of live musicians - just that the acoustics/imaging and frequency balance will tend to be more accurate through a recording and listening at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back