Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #4,846 of 9,207
 Just auditioned the audeze lcd2 v2 with the new bryston headphone amp today and I must say the bryston really tows the line with the lcd2.The bass is much better controled and their is a definite improvement in the dynamics department with the audezes.The bryston has really good resolution as well. I have a burson ha-160 and the bryston is definitely more suited to the lcd2. I am going to try and sell my burson to soften the blow to my balance sheet when I do upgrade.I only heard the bryston single ended on the audezes but I have never heard the lcd2 driven in a balanced fashion.They I am sure will be more powerful sounding when driven in a balanced fashion.But even single ended the bryston drives the lcd2 easily.I would add the bryston for possible future use with the audeze lcd2 v2.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #4,847 of 9,207
Yo what's up guys!

So i'm buying the LCD-2 Rev.2 in 2 days. What amps do u recommend me under the 1000 euro? The amps i can choose from are:

BASIC AMPS

Nuforce Icon iDo
Edwards Audio HA1
Nuforce Icon HD
Grado Reference Amp RA-1
Fidelity Audio HPA-100
Harmony Design Ear 90-RCA
Nuforce Icon HDP

PREMIUM AMPS

Fidelity Audio HPA-200
Burson Audio HA-160
Canor TP-10
Harmony Design Ear 90-XLR ELMA
Beyerdynamic A1
Burson Audio HA-160DS
C.E.C. HD-53N
Burson Audio HA-160D

I am hoping for one of the basic amps cause i can afford the premium ones i just dont wanna waste money on the tiny differences between those things.
urgent advise please!

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4,848 of 9,207
I guess you have done some research - and that is why it puzzles me that Violectric & Lake People is not on you lists for the LCD-2s. There's maybe a (good) reason. Of the one you have listed I would have chosen one of the Bursons for the LCD-2s.

A shot in the dark of course, since you do not specify type of music you like nor the DAC you have. BTW: The HA-160D gives you a decent DAC...

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #4,849 of 9,207
Quote:
I guess you have done some research - and that is why it puzzles me that Violectric & Lake People is not on you lists for the LCD-2s. There's maybe a (good) reason. Of the one you have listed I would have chosen one of the Bursons for the LCD-2s.

A shot in the dark of course, since you do not specify type of music you like nor the DAC you have. BTW: The HA-160D gives you a decent DAC...

Thank u for answering! I'm realy not an expert at these things. I know it sounds strange to buy such an expensive headphone without any realy knowledge. My HD 650 just died and i want a new headphone and i've heard great things about the LCD-2. I just want the amps from the list cause these are the only ones i can listen to in the store where im buying the headphone. My music type is realy random but i prefer rock/Drum and bass and a bit freestyle. Also i have no idea what the DAC does ? Could u explain me ?

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #4,850 of 9,207
In that case the Burson 160D is a good choice.  It has the DAC built inside.  It's a three in one unit (with a preamp) in case you ever want to drive some powered speaker.

Or the Burson 160DS if you don't need the preamp.

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #4,852 of 9,207
I second the Violectric - the V200 with the optional on-board DAC or, if your money will stretch, buy a V800 DAC. The V200 is neutral and powerful and the optional on-board DAC is decent. The V800 DAC is much better than the optional on-board DAC - versatile, compact and sounds terrific.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #4,856 of 9,207
Both the Violectric V181 and the V200 are a superb match for the LCD-2 rev 1 as well as the LCD-2 rev 2.  I run both amps / headphones off a Zodiac+ DAC.  The V181 sounds the best balanced versus its single ended option, and I even prefer the V181 balanced in some cases over the V200 single ended (but I love both).  Am looking forward to Mr. Freid Rams V282, etc (hopefully in 2013).  In my opinion they are the type of amplifiers that allow you to not really think about upgrading, you are just happy with the sound and enjoy the music.  However I love to collect amps, so not in my case.  :p  Regardless, you can't really go wrong with either, I always recommend Violectric gear.  They are built like tanks, have power to spare, are versatile and have a nice black background. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #4,857 of 9,207
Quote:
Both the Violectric V181 and the V200 are a superb match for the LCD-2 rev 1 as well as the LCD-2 rev 2.  I run both amps / headphones off a Zodiac+ DAC.  The V181 sounds the best balanced versus its single ended option, and I even prefer the V181 balanced in some cases over the V200 single ended (but I love both).  Am looking forward to Mr. Freid Rams V282, etc (hopefully in 2013).  In my opinion they are the type of amplifiers that allow you to not really think about upgrading, you are just happy with the sound and enjoy the music.  However I love to collect amps, so not in my case.  :p  Regardless, you can't really go wrong with either, I always recommend Violectric gear.  They are built like tanks, have power to spare, are versatile and have a nice black background. 

I'll look into the 181. They probably don't have it in the store im going to. V200 is just to expensive for me. Else i'll just go for the Burson Audio HA-160D

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #4,858 of 9,207
Btw , at the moment im using a Onkyo TX-SR313 to drive my 5.1 setup. I'm still using it and wouldn't that amp be fine already?
or do i realy need an upgrade to hear the actual differences? I used to plug my HD 650 in there and it sounded fine (I guess?).

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #4,859 of 9,207
Look for a used beta22.  It is perfect with the lcd-2.

Quote:
Yo what's up guys!

So i'm buying the LCD-2 Rev.2 in 2 days. What amps do u recommend me under the 1000 euro? The amps i can choose from are:

BASIC AMPS

Nuforce Icon iDo
Edwards Audio HA1
Nuforce Icon HD
Grado Reference Amp RA-1
Fidelity Audio HPA-100
Harmony Design Ear 90-RCA
Nuforce Icon HDP

PREMIUM AMPS

Fidelity Audio HPA-200
Burson Audio HA-160
Canor TP-10
Harmony Design Ear 90-XLR ELMA
Beyerdynamic A1
Burson Audio HA-160DS
C.E.C. HD-53N
Burson Audio HA-160D

I am hoping for one of the basic amps cause i can afford the premium ones i just dont wanna waste money on the tiny differences between those things.
urgent advise please!

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #4,860 of 9,207
Go for Woo Audio WA6SE, seem kinda popular also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back