Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #4,876 of 9,207
IMHO I think you will enjoy the LCD-2 with any amp you pick.  Someone said before in this thread that the LCD-2 is already a highly colored headphone, I agree 100%.  I have not heard the LCD-2s sound bad on any amp that I've heard so far. 

As far as the Peak/Volcano sounding superior to a 4-channel β22 - this would be high debatable.  In my search for amps I was told my many of people which seems to like the kind of sound that I do.  That the Peak sounds thin and shrell at times compared to the β22 and that the Peak just don't have the muscle to produce the type of bass impact and response that the β22 does.  It's all subjective anyway.  Lets just say I'm really glad I picked the 4-channel β22 from YBM.

For a tube amp I have on my radar the LF and ECBA.  However, their price is crazy.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #4,877 of 9,207
From my very small amount of experience with the Lyr, a pair of Lorenz tubes works very well with them.  It's definitely a good idea to swap out the stock tubes, but spending half the price on the amp seems a little silly in my opinion.
The NFB 10SE is an amp/DAC combo with which I have a great deal of experience with the LCD-2.2, however, and I can tell you it's a fantastic pairing for the price.  Unfortunately if you're looking to upgrade the DAC you'll have to buy a completely new unit, but at $500 for a very powerful amp and a neutral DAC, it's not a bad bargain.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #4,879 of 9,207
I like the Lyr for a cheaper amp. Pick up a few sets of tubes and see what you like best. Later on you might try an expensive amp but the Lyr is no slouch. Sounds better with the LCD-2 than my Burson. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #4,881 of 9,207
Aug 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #4,883 of 9,207
Hi GG, the Lyr's a special amp but TBH you can do better. I guess Schiit think so two, with Mjolnir and their statement amp coming up. Lyr has great tone, power and voice, but sacrifices  some degee of resolution/transparency/detail - qualities which early reports (I know you've seen them too) suggest Mjolnir supplies.

Perhaps another point to consider is the things you seek really are a journey - no short-cuts. I found my listening and preferences changed each time I settled into a different component. My understanding of what's possible has changed with each piece. What I thought I wanted at the start of this headphone caper isn't what I want now.

From the evident research and thought you have put into all this over the last year or so, I suspect your journey is a bit like mine.

Just my cent's worth!

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #4,884 of 9,207
Quote:
I'm having a dilemma of the worst at the moment. 

My only cans are the LCD2 rev2.

First, looking into the Lyr somehow led me to looking for a $500 tube. So I looked further, and this led me to, "if I don't get a $200+ tube, Amperex White Label PQ 6922, etc, I will not get as good of a sound I could get, and with the money I should get some other amp. 

Yea, I've been through that iteration about 13,297 times so far and I think many others have too.

The LCD pairs well with everything so it doesn't matter nearly as much as you'd think.

If you get something popular, you can resell it on the forum quickly and simply buy something else. (and there are always head-fi meets)

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #4,885 of 9,207
From what I have read re the Lyr, you can just request the Valhalla tubes instead of the JJs and be done with it, you don't have to roll. Having said that I didn't care much for the Lyr with my rev.1s, and I was using some nice Amprex gold pins when I tried it.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #4,888 of 9,207
In 18 months I've had nothing but good tube experiences (Little Dot Hybrid; Lyr; Decware Taboo). And Mr Scarey says don't worry about warm up. Who's going to argue with Scarey 
biggrin.gif

My only gripe is that with a tube amp like Taboo there are three independent variables (rectifier, driver, power tubes all change the sound).

I like to keep an SS amp around as a reference point. Right now it's Meier Classic/Concerto. Later it could be Mjolnir.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #4,890 of 9,207
Quote:
I'm having a dilemma of the worst at the moment. 

My only cans are the LCD2 rev2.

First, looking into the Lyr somehow led me to looking for a $500 tube. So I looked further, and this led me to, "if I don't get a $200+ tube, Amperex White Label PQ 6922, etc, I will not get as good of a sound I could get, and with the money I should get some other amp. 

This then led me to the Mjolnir; I'm still waiting on more impressions and reviews. Somehow, I came across the fact that the Apex Peak / Volcano sounded superior to most out there, including a 4ch B22, which is unbelievable. But this is $2000+, way out of my budget. Also, I'm hoping not to deal with tubes... so I look into the Apex Arete. Still expensive with the Volcano but I thought maybe I should get the Volcano later. But there's one problem: I don't have a high end DAC to match with... only an ODAC with RCA out. So I look into a cheaper amp... come across the Apex Butte, and a comparison review with the Arete without Volcano. It seems I would prefer the sound of the Butte over the Arete, reading that Butte is more mid-centric and has better soundstage depth and center image. 

With the Butte being $500, it was certainly a nice choice. However, BECAUSE it's $500, I thought, "I could extend $250 more and get the Mjolnir..." Then I happen to come across the fact that Schiit will be releasing the Statement amp/dac later this year as their flagship models.

Now I just don't know where I am. It seems like I would enjoy the Peak or Arete with Volcano.... Maybe I should hold onto the Arete without the Volcano, and get it later when I can afford it? But that would be trapping myself into spending $700 on a Volcano PSU... AND a high end DAC like a W4S DAC2. That's TOO much money.

What's your take on this?

Mine is to wait on the Mjolnir reviews.

Just get the Liquid Fire, dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back