Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4,861 of 9,207
The 160D is alright, but if you want to upgrade to hifiman (HE-5/6) headphones in the future (headphones that need a lot of current) the Burson soloist. 
As a 3 on 1 solution the 160D is hard to beat though. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4,863 of 9,207
Have heard very positive impressions of the Master 8 paired with the LCD-2 / 3. Having owned some Audio Gd gear, I can tell you that they are analog sounding with a slighter darker / laid back presentation. For the asking price they represent very good value for money.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #4,864 of 9,207
SA-31 from audio-gd is another interesting option at $449

[size=x-small]10000 MW  /   40 ohm
8000 MW    /   50 ohm
4000 MW    /   100 ohm
1400 MW    /   300 ohm
700 MW      /   600 ohm
[/size]

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/SA/SA31/SA31EN_Specs.htm

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #4,867 of 9,207
Personally, I find the LCD2 to be quite a coloured headphone but in the best possible way
bigsmile_face.gif

Any quality amp with enough power and the LCD2 should sound very good....there is no definitive best amp for this Headphone, it is more a matter of if you like the LCD2's character.

My thoughts after owning the LCD2 for about 3 months............................. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #4,868 of 9,207
Quote:
SA-31 from audio-gd is another interesting option at $449

[size=x-small]10000 MW  /   40 ohm
8000 MW    /   50 ohm
4000 MW    /   100 ohm
1400 MW    /   300 ohm
700 MW      /   600 ohm
[/size]

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/SA/SA31/SA31EN_Specs.htm

Why would you ever need a head-amp with that kind of juice?  Is King-Wa catering to people who only have a K1000 and HE-6 in their collection?

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #4,869 of 9,207
Quote:
Why would you ever need a head-amp with that kind of juice?  Is King-Wa catering to people who only have a K1000 and HE-6 in their collection?

You know, some people care mostly for power. 
That's curious. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #4,871 of 9,207
Quote:
Look for a used beta22.  It is perfect with the lcd-2.

This.
I just got a Used B22 with Dual o22 PSU.
This amp is just amazing with my LCD2v2's, the best sound ive heard from them yet. Very liquid, dynamic, and detailed with amazing bass, and yet not fatiguing at all.

This will be my main amp for a long time. So lucky i found one for a great price.

The LCD2's and B22 are paired with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 (w/ Supercaps) which is fed by the Audio-GD Digital Interface DSP & PSU.

Ive been through many amps, dacs, and cans in the last two years (see my profile) and i can honestly say that i can stay with this system for many years without a change.
IMO im done buying headphone gear now, although i'd still like to try some beyer T1's at one point.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #4,872 of 9,207
Quote:
This.
I just got a Used B22 with Dual o22 PSU.
This amp is just amazing with my LCD2v2's, the best sound ive heard from them yet. Very liquid, dynamic, and detailed with amazing bass, and yet not fatiguing at all.

This will be my main amp for a long time. So lucky i found one for a great price.

The LCD2's and B22 are paired with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 (w/ Supercaps) which is fed by the Audio-GD Digital Interface DSP & PSU.

Ive been through many amps, dacs, and cans in the last two years (see my profile) and i can honestly say that i can stay with this system for many years without a change.
IMO im done buying headphone gear now, although i'd still like to try some beyer T1's at one point.

I totally agree, I love the LCD-2.2 with the Beta 22.  However, the LCD-3 is still out there for the taking.  LCD-3 + β22 should be just as awesome.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #4,874 of 9,207
I'm having a dilemma of the worst at the moment. 

My only cans are the LCD2 rev2.

First, looking into the Lyr somehow led me to looking for a $500 tube. So I looked further, and this led me to, "if I don't get a $200+ tube, Amperex White Label PQ 6922, etc, I will not get as good of a sound I could get, and with the money I should get some other amp. 

This then led me to the Mjolnir; I'm still waiting on more impressions and reviews. Somehow, I came across the fact that the Apex Peak / Volcano sounded superior to most out there, including a 4ch B22, which is unbelievable. But this is $2000+, way out of my budget. Also, I'm hoping not to deal with tubes... so I look into the Apex Arete. Still expensive with the Volcano but I thought maybe I should get the Volcano later. But there's one problem: I don't have a high end DAC to match with... only an ODAC with RCA out. So I look into a cheaper amp... come across the Apex Butte, and a comparison review with the Arete without Volcano. It seems I would prefer the sound of the Butte over the Arete, reading that Butte is more mid-centric and has better soundstage depth and center image. 

With the Butte being $500, it was certainly a nice choice. However, BECAUSE it's $500, I thought, "I could extend $250 more and get the Mjolnir..." Then I happen to come across the fact that Schiit will be releasing the Statement amp/dac later this year as their flagship models.

Now I just don't know where I am. It seems like I would enjoy the Peak or Arete with Volcano.... Maybe I should hold onto the Arete without the Volcano, and get it later when I can afford it? But that would be trapping myself into spending $700 on a Volcano PSU... AND a high end DAC like a W4S DAC2. That's TOO much money.

What's your take on this?

Mine is to wait on the Mjolnir reviews.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4,875 of 9,207
I'm having a dilemma of the worst at the moment. 

My only cans are the LCD2 rev2.

First, looking into the Lyr somehow led me to looking for a $500 tube. So I looked further, and this led me to, "if I don't get a $200+ tube, Amperex White Label PQ 6922, etc, I will not get as good of a sound I could get, and with the money I should get some other amp. 

This then led me to the Mjolnir; I'm still waiting on more impressions and reviews. Somehow, I came across the fact that the Apex Peak / Volcano sounded superior to most out there, including a 4ch B22, which is unbelievable. But this is $2000+, way out of my budget. Also, I'm hoping not to deal with tubes... so I look into the Apex Arete. Still expensive with the Volcano but I thought maybe I should get the Volcano later. But there's one problem: I don't have a high end DAC to match with... only an ODAC with RCA out. So I look into a cheaper amp... come across the Apex Butte, and a comparison review with the Arete without Volcano. It seems I would prefer the sound of the Butte over the Arete, reading that Butte is more mid-centric and has better soundstage depth and center image. 

With the Butte being $500, it was certainly a nice choice. However, BECAUSE it's $500, I thought, "I could extend $250 more and get the Mjolnir..." Then I happen to come across the fact that Schiit will be releasing the Statement amp/dac later this year as their flagship models.

Now I just don't know where I am. It seems like I would enjoy the Peak or Arete with Volcano.... Maybe I should hold onto the Arete without the Volcano, and get it later when I can afford it? But that would be trapping myself into spending $700 on a Volcano PSU... AND a high end DAC like a W4S DAC2. That's TOO much money.

What's your take on this?

Mine is to wait on the Mjolnir reviews.

Welcome to Head-Fi... Your wallets' in fire. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back