Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #4,711 of 9,207

Quote:
Back in Jakarta, mate? 

nope still here in beijing...hehehe and got a rev1 just like yours...love it so much im just trying to get a new amp can u suggest me any??im looking at the audio-gd C 2.2 or the NFB 10SE but since i have a decent dac already i might go for the C 2.2

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4,712 of 9,207

Quote:
Tis' was I who said that. Aren't there several revisions of the Zana Deux though so it might be possible that later revision can pump out more current to satisfy the LCD2's electrical requirements better? The one that I listened extensively with the LCD2 was one of the older units. 

Speaking of that, I'm curious how the 2A3 sounds since it's specifically designed for current-hungry orthos. 

I use a 6sl7gt for the driver tube which is a "high mu" tube -- I also keep my ZDSE on high gain for the most part. I don't do super high volume listening because of where this rig is located but I'm well between 9 o'clock and never really get beyond 12 for anything.  Maybe it was the tube setup you had going on?  I'm sure the older Zanas were just fixed high gain unfortunately I'm no technical expert on the whole power vs implementation debate -  luckily I don't see any lack of power in my listening!

As for the 2a3, I found with the amp I had at the time power may have been more challenging with say a k1000 (maybe a he-6 today) but it was perfect for most anything else.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #4,714 of 9,207

Quote:

I use a 6sl7gt for the driver tube which is a "high mu" tube -- I also keep my ZDSE on high gain for the most part. I don't do super high volume listening because of where this rig is located but I'm well between 9 o'clock and never really get beyond 12 for anything.  Maybe it was the tube setup you had going on?  I'm sure the older Zanas were just fixed high gain unfortunately I'm no technical expert on the whole power vs implementation debate -  luckily I don't see any lack of power in my listening!

As for the 2a3, I found with the amp I had at the time power may have been more challenging with say a k1000 (maybe a he-6 today) but it was perfect for most anything else.

Yeah, it has been a while so I couldn't remember what tubes the owner used and it's a shame I didn't get a chance to roll tubes with the unit. 

Sounds the 2A3 is promising! How do you find it compares with your Zana sonics-wise?

Quote:
Audio-Gd C-2.2 just arrived..love the sound of it..now my LCD2 and HE-500 can sing well..hehe

Ah, I thought you were gonna buy the popular NFB10SE. 
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #4,715 of 9,207

nope since i ended up buying the DAC19DSP1 too hehe...i dont really like the idea of and amp and dac combo...btw how does the Master 6 handle the LCD-2??? im planning to get one too...
Quote:
Ah, I thought you were gonna buy the popular NFB10SE. 
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #4,717 of 9,207
In the fall, I'm thinking of upgrading my computer and perhaps adding to my audio set-up.  I will either be adding the Koss ESP-950 to get a taste of the electrostatic, or perhaps upgrading my amp/DAC.  Upgrading the source/amp component of my chain from the NFB would likely be expensive, so it might end up in the spring.  Either way, what should I upgrade to, knowing that I really enjoy the neutrality and textured sound of the NFB-10SE?

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4,719 of 9,207
Mar 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #4,721 of 9,207

Quote:
Hi dagothur, I don't know and unfortunately is not stated in their brochure....
frown.gif

Hm.  That's troubling, isn't it?  I might just shoot them an email and ask what the power rating is myself.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #4,722 of 9,207
Have you guys sen the Schiit intermediate amp yet? 8watts and only does balanced. Another choice to add to the list.

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #4,723 of 9,207
Hey guys!

Even though I read this topic almost completely, and a lot of reviews spreaded throught out many other topics, I'd still like to listen to your opinions once again, just to be sure hehehe.

I'm setting for Ortho, finally!
I currently have as a main rig a Denon D7000 and a Ultrasone Pro 900, with a Schiit Asgard amp and a Maverick D1 DAC.

Now, I've got a He-500 coming and will probably get an LCD-2 in the very near future, so I'm looking to upgrade both DAC and amp to a better level.

For all I've read, I've come to three possible choices:

1) Schiit Lyr + Schiit Bifrost
2) Burson HA-160DS
3) Audio-gd NFB-10SE

So far, I'm headed towards the Schiit combo, since I love the Asgard with the Denons and the 'Sones and think it's a bang for the buck.
It also gives me the possibility of tube rolling, which is great in case I eventually decide to change the sound signature.

What do you think provides the best sound quality, disregarding price?
Would I be doing a definately good move by choosing the Schiit combo? I mean, I'm worried about getting it and 6 months later having upgraditis again and ending up spending even more.

Lastly, price is not my main concern on the moment. So as far it's reasonable, I'm ok in spending more (I'm not sure how much, shoot me some ideas haha) IF it means getting the best SQ out of these phones.
BUT, if you tell me that you're quite sure that going with the NFB is pretty much the same than these other three, or even some more expensive rigs, I'd definately be happier in saving some.

Thanks for your time, and sorry the extremely long post!

Cheers from Brazil,
Stefano

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #4,724 of 9,207
NMB-10 sounds incredible, but is a little neutral/revealing If you are going for some of the brighter HifiMans.  It will not hide flaws in a headphone or recording.  WIth the LCD-2 I am continually impressed with how well the NFB-10 SE performs.  Even with the HE-6 is ti bloody close the my Ref 7.1 and EF-6 combination.  Very detailed and transparent with an excellent soundstage.

Burson is quite good, bit warm in the bass but good overall however it lacks the power to drive a few orthos.

The Schiit gear is a safer bet for HE-6/HE-4 though, and they are also bringing out some new balanced gear shortly

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #4,725 of 9,207

Quote:
NMB-10 sounds incredible, but is a little neutral/revealing If you are going for some of the brighter HifiMans.  It will not hide flaws in a headphone or recording.  WIth the LCD-2 I am continually impressed with how well the NFB-10 SE performs.  Even with the HE-6 is ti bloody close the my Ref 7.1 and EF-6 combination.  Very detailed and transparent with an excellent soundstage.

Burson is quite good, bit warm in the bass but good overall however it lacks the power to drive a few orthos.

The Schiit gear is a safer bet for HE-6/HE-4 though, and they are also bringing out some new balanced gear shortly

Hey Drez!

Thanks for the answer!

So, in a nutshell, for both the HE-500 or the LCD-2, you'd go with the NFB (as both DAC and amp)?
Comparing to your (awesome) Ref 7.1 and EF-6 combo, how much better would say it is than the NFB when listening to the HE-500?

Cheers!
Stefano

Users who are viewing this thread

Back