Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #4,681 of 9,207

Quote:
I know this, but nonetheless I was wondering if people had included it in the chain at some point.  The other day while waiting for my 10SE to ship I was thinking of a TOTL purely Audio Gd brand setup, so I thought I would ask for the experience of others out of curiosity.

You should ask Currawong.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #4,682 of 9,207

Quote:
Like every other amp people have used the phoenix with the LCD and liked it - though I'd pick the Master 5 at this point.  The Ref7 is a DAC.

Why not the Master 6 as it puts out more power? The master 6 and Ref7.1 is definately my dream setup.... but i doubt ill be able to afford that anytime soon :frowning2:
i think ill be happy with the NFB-10SE for a while, as im really liking it so far

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #4,683 of 9,207

Quote:
I'm going to try a  a hi-fi tuning supreme fuse in my W4S DAC-2 as soon as the new batch arrives in the U.S.

When you get your fuse I would like to get your opinion on what your thoughts are about the upgrade.I know in my system every component has a hifi tuning fuse in it and i found in my experience so far that the improvement in the equipment performance was defintely worth the effort.When you get your fuse or fuses drop me a reply.

buson160man

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #4,684 of 9,207

Quote:
When you get your fuse I would like to get your opinion on what your thoughts are about the upgrade.I know in my system every component has a hifi tuning fuse in it and i found in my experience so far that the improvement in the equipment performance was defintely worth the effort.When you get your fuse or fuses drop me a reply.

buson160man

Anything has to be an improvement over the crappy little fuses found in most audio gear.   

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4,686 of 9,207

But what do you need the extra power for?  certainly not lcd-2s.  Besides more power doesnt mean better, and it could make it too powerful to be useful to sensitive headphones.
Quote:
Why not the Master 6 as it puts out more power? The master 6 and Ref7.1 is definately my dream setup.... but i doubt ill be able to afford that anytime soon :frowning2:
i think ill be happy with the NFB-10SE for a while, as im really liking it so far

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4,687 of 9,207
Hmm, i am a bit confused by audio-gd's page for the master5/6

If you refer to the picture below from their site, the Master-5 is on the left and the Master-6 is on the right. Based on the chart layout it appears that the 5 has alot less power than the 6 (1700mw vs 9000mw @ 50ohm) but i do not think that is the proper way to intemperate it. I think that both amps run in class A until they hit 1700mw and then it switched to discrete power? Therefore the only difference between the 5 and the 6 is that the 6 has more gain applied in both high and low mode? i would appreciate others opinions.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #4,688 of 9,207
That is a ridiculous amount of power.

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4,690 of 9,207

Quote:
Have you tried powering the HE-6s?

Wasn't the Lyr designed for that?  I'm pretty sure that most people don't have the Lyr set at max volume when they use the HE-6s with it, and the Master 6 has 1.5x the power.  

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4,692 of 9,207

Quote:
  Wasn't the Lyr designed for that?  I'm pretty sure that most people don't have the Lyr set at max volume when they use the HE-6s with it, and the Master 6 has 1.5x the power.  

The Lyr was good with the HE-6s, but they do respond to even more power...trust me.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #4,693 of 9,207

Quote:
The Lyr was good with the HE-6s, but they do respond to even more power...trust me.

I will have to, as I've never heard the HE-6's.  I've always wanted to, but they're too expensive on their own, disregarding amp requirements.
On an unrelated note, I'm going to be receiving my NFB-10SE tomorrow, and will post initial impressions with my Nuforce as a basis of comparison.  King-Wa managed to get it to me in three or four days, from Hong Kong to Wisconsin.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #4,694 of 9,207

Quote:
I will have to, as I've never heard the HE-6's.  I've always wanted to, but they're too expensive on their own, disregarding amp requirements.
On an unrelated note, I'm going to be receiving my NFB-10SE tomorrow, and will post initial impressions with my Nuforce as a basis of comparison.  King-Wa managed to get it to me in three or four days, from Hong Kong to Wisconsin.

Nice...keep us posted.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #4,695 of 9,207
I received my NFB-10SE, and have been listening to it for the past 20 minutes or so.  Initial impressions are that this is a noticeable and worthwhile improvement over my Nuforce.  If I still had the option of comparing it to the Lyr/Bifrost I could tell you if it had perfect synergy or not, but so far I am extremely pleased with it.  The NFB is phenomenal across the board, at least with the third filter setting.  More impressions will come soon as I do more serious A/B testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back