Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4,696 of 9,207

Quote:
I received my NFB-10SE, and have been listening to it for the past 20 minutes or so.  Initial impressions are that this is a noticeable and worthwhile improvement over my Nuforce.  If I still had the option of comparing it to the Lyr/Bifrost I could tell you if it had perfect synergy or not, but so far I am extremely pleased with it.  The NFB is phenomenal across the board, at least with the third filter setting.  More impressions will come soon as I do more serious A/B testing.

Glad you find it a worthwhile improvement over your previous setup. How good is that bass?
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #4,697 of 9,207

Quote:

Glad you find it a worthwhile improvement over your previous setup. How good is that bass?
biggrin.gif

The bass is very tight and well controlled.  Although there's a little more impact on the Nuforce, the NFB is more dynamic and energetic.  Transience is much better on the NFB, as all of the instruments feel distinct from one another.  Overall, the amp is very clean and detailed.  Mids are gorgeous and smooth.  Listening to Diana Krall is phenomenal.  It feels like somebody took the Nuforce, supercharged it and made everything crisper and cleaner.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #4,699 of 9,207
The Lyr/Bifrost combo with the LCD-2 is absolutely phenomenal.  As I said, if I had the combo here to compare against my 10SE I might be able to say definitively, but so far I think the 10SE is in the same league.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #4,700 of 9,207
Glad to see you like what you are hearing so far! 

-M

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4,701 of 9,207

Quote:
Glad to see you like what you are hearing so far! 

-M

I am too.  It cost me $568 with shipping, but I think it was worth it.  I think the NFB is one of few amps that would pair well with your paradoxes.  It's neutral, detailed, but still musical.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #4,702 of 9,207
I hope to hear it sometime soon! I can't get enough of the paradoxes these days. So happy with my one HP setup. 

I'll keep you posted as to when I'm in the area. 

-M

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #4,703 of 9,207
Apologies for regressing a bit.  Does anyone remember who said/where was it said that the Zana Deux was not so good for the LCD-2?  I'd like to throw in my hat and say that the ZD is once again a pleasant surprise.  I moved down from balanced Equilibrato SE back to the ZD Single Ended with the stock cables and I must say it's absolutely nothing to sneeze (!) at.  The Equilibrato had a completely different presentation imo, like two different flavors.

Whatever the case, maybe the tubes weren't right?

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #4,704 of 9,207

Quote:
Apologies for regressing a bit.  Does anyone remember who said/where was it said that the Zana Deux was not so good for the LCD-2?  I'd like to throw in my hat and say that the ZD is once again a pleasant surprise.  I moved down from balanced Equilibrato SE back to the ZD Single Ended with the stock cables and I must say it's absolutely nothing to sneeze (!) at.  The Equilibrato had a completely different presentation imo, like two different flavors.

That's the issue when some dismiss a tube amp with a particular set of headphones....I always wonder if they tried to get the right tube combination?

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #4,705 of 9,207
There are usually tube rolling threads for the more popular tube amps, aren't there?  I was thinking of going for the Lyr with the LCD-2, but I really didn't want the hassle of tube rolling.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4,706 of 9,207
im hoping the upcoming schiit balanced solid state amp will pair well with the LCD2.

It would be interesting to compare its amp to the NFB-10SE using the NFB-10SE's XLR Out to feed Schiit Balanced.

I like my NFB-10SE with LCD2v2 but definately notice some of the silibance and harsh highs others are claiming.
I am also going to get an objective 2 to compare soon as well.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #4,707 of 9,207

Quote:

I like my NFB-10SE with LCD2v2 but definately notice some of the silibance and harsh highs others are claiming.

This may be because I'm coming from a bright, cold amp, but the highs don't seem sibilant or harsh at all to me.  Over all, the sound is much cleaner and more textured than what the Nuforce supplied.  The highs do indeed seem more stark to me, but that's because the NFB bring backs the presence and instrument separation that I liked with my D7000s.  Although there's less impact, and the NFB is on the musical side of neutral, I don't find the highs to be harsh.  I believe I had the chance to use the LCD-2s with the Compass, and at that point, the highs were indeed harsh.  But with the NFB, everything just feels more detailed and natural.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #4,708 of 9,207
If your track recording flaw.. the 10SE will reveal you the sibilance. Trust me~

Darn!

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4,709 of 9,207
hi there im new to the LCD2 i got the Rev.1 few days ago..im willing to spend maximum 600$ on an amp for these cans im trying to figure out some of the audio-gd amps can someone help me choose between the C-2.2 or the NFB 10SE??since ive already have a decent DAC i would just like an amp that can really give almost 100% potential out of these headphones..pls help me choose or any other recommendations?

THX

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #4,710 of 9,207

Quote:

Tis' was I who said that. Aren't there several revisions of the Zana Deux though so it might be possible that later revision can pump out more current to satisfy the LCD2's electrical requirements better? The one that I listened extensively with the LCD2 was one of the older units. 

Speaking of that, I'm curious how the 2A3 sounds since it's specifically designed for current-hungry orthos. 

Quote:
hi there im new to the LCD2 i got the Rev.1 few days ago..im willing to spend maximum 600$ on an amp for these cans im trying to figure out some of the audio-gd amps can someone help me choose between the C-2.2 or the NFB 10SE??since ive already have a decent DAC i would just like an amp that can really give almost 100% potential out of these headphones..pls help me choose or any other recommendations?

THX

Back in Jakarta, mate? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back