Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #4,006 of 9,207
For those interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572939/review-red-wine-audio-audeze-edition-balanced-headphone-amplifier-dac-combo#post_7773726

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #4,007 of 9,207
I stumbled across Skylab's mention of the MHDT Havana + Schitt Lyr + LCD-2 combo. However, I can't seem to find many descriptions or reviews with the two of them paired. Can anyone tell me what this combo (with the Bendix 2C51 tubes) sounds like, and which genres it's geared towards?

On a side now: It's funny that this combo costs less than the CLAS-DB2-SR71B-LCD2 transportable combo. :p

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #4,008 of 9,207
I have personally listened to that combo and found it way too warm and tuby sounding.  I listen to rock and it was too thick sounding for me.  A lot of the drums for me lost some edge on impacts and I just didn't favor it for the style of music I listen to.  This depends on the tubes selected slightly but in my case it was NOS Mullard in both.  The MHDT Havana sounded great with a pure solid state amp like the Apache though, ask brasewel.  We were comparing the MHDT Havana to the PS Audio DLIII with a few amps.  I preferred the PS Audio DLIII with the Lyr over the MHDT Havana.  (Hence why after listening to Wedge's I went out and bought one that week).  I use the PS Audio DLIII with my LD MKVI+ also.

We all agreed we liked tubes somewhere in the chain but not everywhere!

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #4,009 of 9,207
Unquestionably that combo is going to be warm and tubey, and could be too much so with some tube sets. I thought the Havana was too warm with the Bendix. I much prefer the Western Electric 396A. With the GE6BZ7 in the Lyr, the combo is lush, yes, but not overly so or to the detriment of the music.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #4,010 of 9,207
yeah we probably could have used a set of nos amperex a-frames (orange text) or some nos telefunken in the lyr and it would have tweaked it back in the right direction.  still would have been pushing it for me, i like it right in the middle of tubey-ness

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #4,011 of 9,207
So with the Havana with the WE 396A, and the Lyr with the GE6BZ7....

With LCD-2 I am looking for a sound that will complement male vocals, some female vocals, and ballad. Some classical, but mostly vocals, mellow stuff. However, i would appreciate some kick and sub bass from dub step and pop. Clarity is also a must but not overly harsh highs. Mainly looking for lush mids to go with the LCD-2, a smile-inducing rig that can also be a jaw-dropping rig as well.

How would you put the above combo with the type of stuff I expect/listen to?

And for Skylab: With a budget of $2000-2500 and the music I prefer, what would you suggest off the top of your head so I can gain a sense of direction? So far I'm researching the W4S DAC-2, Stacker 2, and V200...

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #4,012 of 9,207
$2000-2500 for both amp and DAC?

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #4,014 of 9,207

Every Mullard I have ever tried sounds too dark and tooby sounding. If your system is way too bright, the Mullards are perfect. But I have never liked the soundstage of the Mullards. With Mullards in both, that had to be a horrible sound.
Quote:
I have personally listened to that combo and found it way too warm and tuby sounding.  I listen to rock and it was too thick sounding for me.  A lot of the drums for me lost some edge on impacts and I just didn't favor it for the style of music I listen to.  This depends on the tubes selected slightly but in my case it was NOS Mullard in both.  The MHDT Havana sounded great with a pure solid state amp like the Apache though, ask brasewel.  We were comparing the MHDT Havana to the PS Audio DLIII with a few amps.  I preferred the PS Audio DLIII with the Lyr over the MHDT Havana.  (Hence why after listening to Wedge's I went out and bought one that week).  I use the PS Audio DLIII with my LD MKVI+ also.

We all agreed we liked tubes somewhere in the chain but not everywhere!

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #4,015 of 9,207

Quote:
So with the Havana with the WE 396A, and the Lyr with the GE6BZ7....

How would you put the above combo with the type of stuff I expect/listen to?

And for Skylab: With a budget of $2000-2500 and the music I prefer, what would you suggest off the top of your head so I can gain a sense of direction? So far I'm researching the W4S DAC-2, Stacker 2, and V200...

I'll be doing a review that should be out about the 10-11th of October, it will be solely for the LCD-2 and comprise of many different amps/dacs. The W4S DAC1 and Violectric V200 and V800 will be in as well as all of Bursons gear and the Schiit Lyr. Perhaps you'd like to wait around for that comparison before pulling the trigger.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #4,016 of 9,207

Quote:
I owned the Zodiac+ that I recently sold here, granted I'm not a big fan of the 'all-in-one' boxes (says the guy who just purchased a RWA AE) I have to say that the Zodiacs are outstanding DACs, from memory it came very close to my all time DAC reference the Weiss 202 (selling it was by far my biggest 'audiophile' mistake) and that means a lot (at least to me) but I thought the amp part was lacking a bit of power to make the LCD-2 truly shine, when paired with my now gone Audio-GD phoenix in balance mode I have to say it was an outstanding combo, in terms of neutrality and dynamic it might have been the best my LCD-2 sounded.

Another all-in-one option that I liked but didn't owned is the lynx Hilo, it doesn't get much love here because it's more geared towards the professional crowd but I spent ~1 hour with it and I was impressed (http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=59#)

One think is for sure with 3'000$ you have a lot of great option, if you can I would really try to find a place where you can listen to some gear so you get an idea for yourself, forums are great but nothing beat hearing things for yourself.

Did you try the Voltikus power supply with your Zodiac+? That increases the dynamics by a huge margin. In my 40 years of experience, I love the all-in-one boxes the most. I was a High-End audio dealer for 15 years, tried about every combo ever made. You have less cables, less connectors, and less expense. For a long time I wanted someone to design a CD player inside an integrated amp. The Zodiac is the closest thing to that.

I found out a long time ago that every cable in your system not only colors the sound, but also detracts in the information that passes through your system.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #4,017 of 9,207
I now have about 750 hours on the Zodiac Gold + Voltikus that I am now using. What is so amazing is how the soundstage height and width keeps increasing with the Audeze LCD2's every week of break-in. I am now hearing detail and hall ambience several feet outside the LCD2's, depending on the recording.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #4,018 of 9,207
Does the Audeze Edition have analog input? I would like to try it out with my Esoteric K-01 and compare its amp section with my Leben direct. If not I have to think twice about getting it.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #4,019 of 9,207

The Zodiac Gold with Voltikus is a gem, but it would be a waste just to use it with headphones - it truly shines when used with high end speaker systems. In speaker systems the soundstage improvement becomes huge. IMO the Zodiac Gold is head and shoulders above the Weiss DAC 202. You will have to venture into the US$15,000+ range to find a DAC better than it.

Quote:
I now have about 750 hours on the Zodiac Gold + Voltikus that I am now using. What is so amazing is how the soundstage height and width keeps increasing with the Audeze LCD2's every week of break-in. I am now hearing detail and hall ambience several feet outside the LCD2's, depending on the recording.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #4,020 of 9,207
I think Rob mentioned in his review it does not, but I wasn't paying attention to that. You should check out the review...

Quote:
Does the Audeze Edition have analog input? I would like to try it out with my Esoteric K-01 and compare its amp section with my Leben direct. If not I have to think twice about getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back