Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 31, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #706 of 9,207

Quote:
Did you get a chance to try it with the HE-6 after it settled down?

Unfortunately, no.  The amp arrived the day after I had to send the HE-6 packing, due to the 1 week requirement of the loaner program.  But given the power this thing has, and the way it drives the HE-5LE (very, very well), it's an almost ideal amp for the HE-6.  The Mini-torri included a variable treble roll-off control (which is defeatable and out of the circuit completely when switched off) that could be used to dial down the highs of the HE-6 very subtly if desired.  I wish I had been able to try this.  On some recordings, it is a godsend with the HE-5LE.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #711 of 9,207
My LCD-2 is on its way and now it's time for an amp. V200, WA6, Meier Concerto seem to be best options out there but they are kinda out of my budget and take too long to get. All I have now is Gamma-2 ---Toslink Optical---Denon AVR-589 receiver. I'm wondering how they will sound
confused_face_2.gif

Have anyone ever tried LCD-2 w/ a cheapo receiver headphone out?

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #712 of 9,207
I've been gone a long time =)  In 06 we spent ~$400 on cans and $1000s on amps, sources :wink:

Your best bet is to listen for a good long time with your current gear then make a priority/change list.  Need to know where you are and where you want to go, no?

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #713 of 9,207
Not a receiver, but the Micro Tube with the Mini Watt adapter drives them just fine. Didn't listen for a long time with them, but what I did hear sounded good, better than the Mini with the LCD-2's. I'm thinking about it till I can make the next step up. Not familiar with the 6GV8 tube, so don't know about the rolling options.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #714 of 9,207
I searched the thread for the Yamamoto HA-02 and nothing. I don't suppose anyone's plugged the LCD2 into one yet? It's transformered couple so while not a heavy weight by head-fi standards, I don't think it will wilt with the lcd2 is plugged in. It will be a nice looking combo that is for sure.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #715 of 9,207

Quote:
I searched the thread for the Yamamoto HA-02 and nothing. I don't suppose anyone's plugged the LCD2 into one yet? It's transformered couple so while not a heavy weight by head-fi standards, I don't think it will wilt with the lcd2 is plugged in. It will be a nice looking combo that is for sure.

I could be wrong, but I suspect it won't be able to drive the LCD2s to reference levels without running out of power - overhead will be limited if the threshold isn't already crossed.

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #716 of 9,207

Quote:

Maximum output :300mW (at the time of 50ohm load) of headphone terminals

I might see if my friend still has his. He said he was selling it.  I agree that I'd go for something with more power output than that for good measure.  I need to find that post someone made where they explain power output and headphone SPL, or maybe someone will chime in with that info again.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #718 of 9,207

Quote:
Not a receiver, but the Micro Tube with the Mini Watt adapter drives them just fine. Didn't listen for a long time with them, but what I did hear sounded good, better than the Mini with the LCD-2's. I'm thinking about it till I can make the next step up. Not familiar with the 6GV8 tube, so don't know about the rolling options.

Good call man.  I'm amazed at the quality sonics from both the 6GV8 micro and the MiniWatt amps with the headphone adapter.  They almost qualify for giant killers.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #720 of 9,207

Quote:
I heard that amp..and its decent..it lacks refinement from what i heard with the LCD-2 at least.

Lacks refinement?  What do you want for $250.00?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back