Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #61 of 9,207
No further word from those of you who may have tried the LCD-2 with a Rudistor or Violectric? Lehmann Black Cube II? Slee? Luxman P-1u?
Quote:
Just because an amp has an integrated DAC, doesn't mean you have to use it.  It becomes a switchable input like anything else.

Yes, but headphones like these deserve the cleanest path to their door. Best to keep the digital gear away from the analogue signal path. The digital gadget's unwanted nasties could get amplified along with the music and sent to the headphones creating haze, greyness and perhaps even hardness. A two box set-up would provided separation and the ability to place the DAC further out of harm's way on another shelf.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #62 of 9,207

Quote:
No further word from those of you who may have tried the LCD-2 with a Rudistor or Violectric? Lehmann Black Cube II? Slee? Luxman P-1u?
Yes, but headphones like these deserve the cleanest path to their door. Best to keep the digital gear away from the analogue signal path. The digital gadget's unwanted nasties could get amplified along with the music and sent to the headphones creating haze, greyness and perhaps even hardness. A two box set-up would provided separation and the ability to place the DAC further out of harm's way on another shelf.

I suspect that Dr. Meier knows enough to keep the signal path clean, but then again, just get the Concerto, and don't worry about it.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #63 of 9,207
I believe I saw somewhere in the threads some happy guy's impressions who has listened LCD-2 with Luxman and WooAudio. Maybe it was in the CanJam thread or in Audeze LCD-2 thread.

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #64 of 9,207
Hello, did anyone have an experience with balanced beta-22?
aldo

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #66 of 9,207
For portable amps, I recommend the iBasso D10 (mines has topkit installed). The synergy is spot on, full of energy, musical punch, 3D layering, and good detail. I realize it's probably not the best amp out there, but it's darn good for a portable and it gives me a level of sound where I feel is satisfactory or "good enough" until I can afford another full size amp. I'm guessing it's pushing out 70-80% out of the LCD-2. As of right now, I still prefer it over the Asgard, which I find ironically to be dull and lifeless in comparison. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #68 of 9,207
The Concerto is neutral, I've heard it and several others agree. IMO it is a bit pricey, it's a good AD797 amp with some nice extras you usually don't get - digital volume control (is that the right term? At least the position of the potentiometer is measured digitally) and crossfeed, pretty much.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #69 of 9,207
Concerto being pricey keeps popping up.  What in people's opinion cost less and delivers as much?

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #70 of 9,207
Well Meier's asking for about $670, the local shops are asking $800 >.< The Concerto is roughly on par with the GCHA, that's is a bit warmer and was about $500 ... I don't really know what the Burson is going for in the US, again it's in the same class, a bit warmer, the local distributors are asking for about $600. Compared with these it depends on whether the X-feed and volume control are worth it, if it's that important I guess it could be a steal. I don't know the Concerto compares to some of the value challengers like the Audio GDs, Schiit, Dynalos and some of the DIY designs like the M^3, haven't had the chance to sample them. 

I mean, personally I'd pay the premium because I really like that volume control, but I still think a it's little bit pricey. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #71 of 9,207
If people actually looked at the amount of power supply filtration, and some of the rest of the internals of the Concerto, I highly doubt they would try to say it was expensive.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #72 of 9,207
If that's right, it's cool. I agree the amp does have a deep black background. I don't have that kind of technical expertise to compare amp internals (I did look), and I highly respect Skylab's testing methodology and range of expertise. If my subjective evaluation of value was off, I apologize. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #73 of 9,207

Quote:
For portable amps, I recommend the iBasso D10 (mines has topkit installed). The synergy is spot on, full of energy, musical punch, 3D layering, and good detail. I realize it's probably not the best amp out there, but it's darn good for a portable and it gives me a level of sound where I feel is satisfactory or "good enough" until I can afford another full size amp. I'm guessing it's pushing out 70-80% out of the LCD-2. As of right now, I still prefer it over the Asgard, which I find ironically to be dull and lifeless in comparison. 

The Asgard should liven up as it burns in over the first 40 or so hours.

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #74 of 9,207

Quote:
If people actually looked at the amount of power supply filtration, and some of the rest of the internals of the Concerto, I highly doubt they would try to say it was expensive.

I would tend to agree.  The Concerto seems like a lot of amp for the money.

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #75 of 9,207
Concerto is $670 shipped anywhere.  Buying it for more is just silly. GCHA is $995, GS-1 is $900, Burson is $700 all plus shipping.  So in the case of the Burson is ~$780 to your door and it got thrashed by the Concerto in the 6 Moon review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back