Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 22, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #31 of 9,207
I haven't really compared them, but I would not say it's quite as good.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #32 of 9,207
Well then its time I talked to the good Doctor about a Concerto then.  Officially on the short list for an LCD-2 when they ship as of 9 minutes ago 
gs1000.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #34 of 9,207
Balanced:                                                  Single-ended:

1. GS-X/Dynamid                                   1. Leben CS300XS
2. Balanced Beta                                   2. Dynahi
                                                           3. LaRocco HeadCode DM
                                                           4. Cavalli EHHA

The above (I own), and do an excellent job of conveying the potential of the Audez'e. The Auditor will drive it, not to it's best ability however. It will constrict and narrow the image and is ragged at the frequency extremes (lumpy one note Bass ex.). It's design intent was for the HIGH imp. phone after-all. The Sonett I don't recommend as it is lacking drive, dynamics and restricts the phones potential greatly. 

My higher output SET (Moth) was pleasant but rounded the extremes and was to colored (and slow) for long-term use (IMO).

The more clean continuous power (for the available impedance)...the better the result!

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #35 of 9,207

Quote:
only 360 mA out of 50 Kohm though. I hear you about dire straits have their recordings are phenomenal. Soundstaging out of my Auditor is the best I heard so far too.

Do you find the Phonitor being able to drive the T1 better then the LCD-2?

T1 has better synergy with Phonitor. Guess all 600 Ohm HP sound good on Phonitor. With  good SACD (soft rock or classical T1 sound is just out of this world. T1 is still bass lite, not as bad as HD800 and K701( total castrato).  LCD-2 has excellent dynamics and clarity with Phonitor. Strangely, some times I prefer darker sound of my cd player build in headphone amp. Have to try LCD-2 with tube amp.  I have really hard time deciding which headphones I should sell, seems silly to have 3 pairs of headphones.But LCD-2 fits nicely between Edition8 (the best bass slam and P.R.A.T.and more treble) and T1 ( brighter presentation with lighter bass). All three headphones have same detail retrieval and clarity of sound. LCD-2 and Edition8 takes longer to adapt  10 - 30 min.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #36 of 9,207
How do you think the LCD-2 would perform with my EF-5? I know this amp has more than enough power, even though it's probably not the last word in sound quality. I'm interested in the LCD-2 because I already have this amp designed specifically for orthos...

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #37 of 9,207
 First post, although I have been lurking for about 3 weeks. I have a couple questions. I read a review on the Emmeline, "The Apache" and a review on the Audez'e LCD-2. Would the Apache be a good match for the LCD-2?  Also, would the LCD-2 benefit going balanced? Thanks.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #38 of 9,207

Quote:
T1 has better synergy with Phonitor. Guess all 600 Ohm HP sound good on Phonitor. With  good SACD (soft rock or classical T1 sound is just out of this world. T1 is still bass lite, not as bad as HD800 and K701( total castrato).  LCD-2 has excellent dynamics and clarity with Phonitor. Strangely, some times I prefer darker sound of my cd player build in headphone amp. Have to try LCD-2 with tube amp.  I have really hard time deciding which headphones I should sell, seems silly to have 3 pairs of headphones.But LCD-2 fits nicely between Edition8 (the best bass slam and P.R.A.T.and more treble) and T1 ( brighter presentation with lighter bass). All three headphones have same detail retrieval and clarity of sound. LCD-2 and Edition8 takes longer to adapt  10 - 30 min.

Thanks for that. Interesting you got the same top three headphones as myself. Well haven´t got the LCD-2 yet but it´s just a matter of time. T1 impresses a lot on the Auditor when transparency is the goal.

I think I am looking for something darker and warmer with the LCD-2 then the Auditor/T1 combo. No tiring bass I want something that hypnotizes me a bit like the fostex T50RPs. I have dynamics that surely have the PRaT thing going already :)
NX-02 sistema should be able to drive it I hope?  It´s optimized for low impedance headphones like the Ultrasones afterall.  Belongs more to the "musical ss amps" rather then the reference type? That is the impression I got from reviews. Don´t be afraid to correct me.

I am also most likely getting a traformator head one to do another venture into the tube world.  Is tube amps in general as reliable as single stage if you count out the tubes themselves?

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #39 of 9,207
Jumping in this thread. I thought this was a good place because I own the Edition 8, LCD-2 & HD800's. I diid spend some time with the T1 as well. In complete agreement. HD800's really light in the bass dept. no matter the amp. The T1 was better but still the LCD-2 just murder's those two. I have been using the iDecco at home and ALO RX & SR-71A on the road. My favorite in the ALO RX & iMod with the LCD-2 is killing me. Everyday it is better. Burn in time  has been a lot but it was great out of the box. It just gets sweeter everyday. I have heard from quite a few people that the Cavali Liquid Fire is the thing to get when it comes out. I think that will be my first nice home unit.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #40 of 9,207
The Schiit Asgard seems to be working very well with the LCD-2.  It's got more than ample power and is a SE, Class A bias, Mossfet, 0 global feedback design.  Great sound for the money.  $250.00  USA made.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #42 of 9,207
Any of you heard the Schiit or just recommend it because it´s "made in USA"?

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #43 of 9,207
Dude its the schiit 
blink.gif
  Sorry couldn't resist.  Frankly at that price, for that spec its worth a listen if nothing else even though it is made in the USA zing 
popcorn.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #44 of 9,207

Quote:
Any of you heard the Schiit or just recommend it because it´s "made in USA"?

Yup, got one on my bench as we speak.  It's got about 40 hours on it now and I do feel it improved most over the first 24.  Actually over the first couple hours, but then more slowly over the next 20 or so.

Anyway, in absolute terms, it's a good amp, in relative terms...  well, I'm in the midst of evaluating it against other amps now...  Let's just say, for now, that it is one of the most honest amps I can remember hearing.

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #45 of 9,207

Quote:
Yup, got one on my bench as we speak.  It's got about 40 hours on it now and I do feel it improved most over the first 24.  Actually over the first couple hours, but then more slowly over the next 20 or so.

Anyway, in absolute terms, it's a good amp, in relative terms...  well, I'm in the midst of evaluating it against other amps now...  Let's just say, for now, that it is one of the most honest amps I can remember hearing.

"honest"? Could you please elaborate a little further? Honest, as in value? Other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back