Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 14, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #16 of 9,207
the cavalli.
it's flavor of NEXT month. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #19 of 9,207
Quote:
I did most of my listening with an amp that will be coming to market shortly - it is being "unveiled" at canjam. It is the Liquid Fire amp from Cavalli Audio. It is a tube hybrid, high voltage for the tubes to keep them operating at their most linear point, dual 30V rails for the class A Mosfet output stage which allows 42V p-p swing. DC coupled so no caps or transformers n the signal path and a servo which keeps the offset at zero. 

It is a wonderfully powerful amp and well worth the audition. Cavalli Audio is also releasing a solid state amp, the "Liquid Gold" which will have similar voltage swing but will be faster. 

..dB

Quote:
Can this thread please include prices, so as to maintain a sense of perspective.

I've just had a quick look around, but can not find prices for Mr. Cavalli's Liquid Fire and Liquid Gold amps. Has the price been released?

Any word yet on the estimated price for the Liquid Fire and Liquid Gold amps from Cavalli Audio?

Also, did anyone try the LCD-2 with the new TTVJ Apex Peak Hybrid amp w/ Volcano PSU at CanJam?

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 9,207
So how will the LCD 2 sound with my ZDT? Anyone try the LCD2 with any EC amp?

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #21 of 9,207

Quote:
So how will the LCD 2 sound with my ZDT? Anyone try the LCD2 with any EC amp?

I believe Absorbine_Sr did with positive results...also, a search yielded:

Quote:
I heard the LCD-2 at RMAF and it blew my mind (was being run off a ZDT). Truly awesome quickness and bass impact. I'm counting the days until they are officially released - I'm jumping right on a pair. May get a pair of HE-5s as well to compare - will certainly share my thoughts if I do.

EDIT: Woo 1,000th post

hope this helps...I only listened through the Liquid Fire:)...

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #22 of 9,207
I've spent some time this weekend using the LCD-2 with the J SoundLab Headphone, which is a small, relatively inexpensive transformer-coupled tube headphone amp.  It actually worked quote well!  We have had no electric power here since Friday afternoon, due to some serious storms (as I type this we still don't have power 2 days later).  I have a back-up generator, but it doesn't power everything, and I don't have my main rig on, so I am using this little guy.  The sound is actually MUCH better than I expected.  The fact that it's a transformer-coupled design is the key, I think.  Perfect?  No.  But for the money (last I knew this amp was $399), really very good.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #23 of 9,207
Unbelievably good was my reaction at RMAF2009.  I had never heard anything like it before.  Better than anything they had at the Woo tables, but that was all a blur.  This combination, the ZDT with other headphones (ask Larry) and the Exstata SS amp (with a bunch of different electrostatic headphones) blew my mind and turned an otherwise disappointing RMAF into at least decent.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #24 of 9,207

Skylab:

Is the Woo Audio 6 a good amplifier to use with the LCD-2? What do you think?

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #25 of 9,207

Quote:
I've spent some time this weekend using the LCD-2 with the J SoundLab Headphone, which is a small, relatively inexpensive transformer-coupled tube headphone amp.  It actually worked quote well!

I Was just about to ask you about that. That is very good to hear.

Now, to continue saving for the LCD-2.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #27 of 9,207
I have not heard it with the WA6, but there were some good reports of the pairing by others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back