Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 19, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #8,536 of 9,207
  Too bad I cant audition any schiit and burson products here in our country. We have iFi here but iCAN SE is not yet available. Anyone compared the iCAN with the Asgard 2? 

I'd like to second that, I am looking at getting a good solid state amp for my LCD2's and the Asgard 2 is in the final group and leading I'd say, based in large part to it's price.

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #8,537 of 9,207
These 3 are on my radar right now. But I can only audition the iFi

-iFi iCAN orig/SE
-Burson Soloist SL MKI/II
-used Liquid Carbon?

I'm hoping that iCAN SE is good enough, my iDSD Micro amp sounds lean sometimes.

I'm tempted by the price of the Burson right now, at 399 and 499.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #8,538 of 9,207
what a huge thread!  I picked up a Woo Audio SE-6 a couple weekends ago (instead of the WA7) as a replacement for my Schiit Lyr (with $500+ Siemens CCA tubes) and I could not be happier with it.  Tubes aren't for everyone, and I'm not someone who listens to chamber music or Norah Jones either, it's more like Black Sabbath, Electric Wizard, Elder, Deafheaven, etc.  If you want more details about my experiences let me know.  Both the Lyr and the SE-6 have phenomenal power for the LCD-2,3, probably 4 (but if you have the $ for a 4 I doubt you'll be looking at these amps).  I got a Burson Soloist SL for Christmas and after a couple of weeks I had my fiance return it.  It wasn't near the Schiit Lyr for my tastes.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #8,539 of 9,207
  These 3 are on my radar right now. But I can only audition the iFi

-iFi iCAN orig/SE
-Burson Soloist SL MKI/II
-used Liquid Carbon?

I'm hoping that iCAN SE is good enough, my iDSD Micro amp sounds lean sometimes.

I'm tempted by the price of the Burson right now, at 399 and 499.

I can whole heartedly recommend the Burson Soloist SL!  And I hear great things about the LC but for the $$$, the Burson is impossible to beat!!

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #8,541 of 9,207
  Do you have the mkI or mkII? I'm thinking on getting just the mkI since my LCD-2 is relatively sensitive already.

Is there a Mk1 going ? Don't see them much these days for sale.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #8,543 of 9,207
  I think burson still makes them. There is a "BUY NOW" button here:

http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/soloist-sl/

Aha, my mistake I thought you were after an LCD 2.1....
redface.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #8,545 of 9,207
  I can give you my thoughts on the BHA-1 and WA22 with the LCD-3 next week if that helps? I'll be picking up a WA22 and already have a BHA-1 and LCD-3.

I've been listening to the BHA-1 + LCD-3 for a while now and I really like that combo. I've also been trying out the WA22 with the tubes mentioned in my signature this weekend. The Sylvania 7236's definitely make a big difference with the LCD-3's. They appreciate the more power, but it's not still not as powerful as the BHA-1. I have some more power tubes arriving shortly, so perhaps they will make even more of a difference.

The BHA-1 suits the LCD-3's very well. You just plug it in and away you go. The WA22 is a bit of a different beast. More effort (and expense) is required with the tube rolling. I've spent many, many hours on the Internet this week researching different tubes and different tube combos. If you want the "very best" tubes then it will cost you a lot of money! This is if you can find those tubes in the first place...

I did multiple A/B comparisons (I can drive both amps at the same time), and I have to give the preference to the WA22. It just has such a silky smooth sound to it, but I'm also keeping the BHA-1.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #8,546 of 9,207
^ What is it about the BHA-1 that makes it less "smooth" (than WA22)? I value transparency and lack of coloration ("neutrality") the most. Both give Musicality in the end. Not the only road to M, as there are multiple paths to Nirvana.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #8,548 of 9,207
In the next year I'd like to upgrade my amp to either the Oppa HA-1 or an Audio-GD TOTL unit.  I really enjoy the sound signature of the NFB-10SE as well as the copious power and general aesthetics.  I primarily listen to heavy metal and classical music and the budget is up to $2000.  Which should I choose? 

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #8,549 of 9,207
I can state from my experience with various headphone amps and a variety of LCD (LCD-2f ,X and 3f) headphones, they benefit greatly from fast amps. That usually means solid state. And for me, I narrowed it down to Burson.
I happen to believe that the synergy between Burson Amps and Lcds is fantastic. Bursons have the heft and sparkle that really brings the Lcds to life. I recently violated my own advice and bought a Schiit Mjolnir 2 with some of the best known tubes for it amongst other tubes. I used it in balanced mode. I tried se mode, and it was just sad , sound quality wise and lacked power too. After two weeks of giving it a chance, I decided to reconnect my Burson Soloist.
It was an AHHHH moment. Life returned to the music. The weight of the bass was back. Tight and controlled.That Burson sparkle to the high end (not brightwise) was back. Needless to say, I sold the Schiit.

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #8,550 of 9,207
I can state from my experience with various headphone amps and a variety of LCD (LCD-2f ,X and 3f) headphones, they benefit greatly from fast amps. That usually means solid state. And for me, I narrowed it down to Burson.
I happen to believe that the synergy between Burson Amps and Lcds is fantastic. Bursons have the heft and sparkle that really brings the Lcds to life. I recently violated my own advice and bought a Schiit Mjolnir 2 with some of the best known tubes for it amongst other tubes. I used it in balanced mode. I tried se mode, and it was just sad , sound quality wise and lacked power too. After two weeks of giving it a chance, I decided to reconnect my Burson Soloist.
It was an AHHHH moment. Life returned to the music. The weight of the bass was back. Tight and controlled.That Burson sparkle to the high end (not brightwise) was back. Needless to say, I sold the Schiit.

Looks like I made the right decision. I ordered the clearance Soloist SL mkI direct from Burson a few days ago. Can't wait for it to arrive! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back