Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 30, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #8,432 of 9,207
I might be interested in the DAC-19 (10th anniversary) but I red somewhere that it was a bit weak in the bass department.
Any comment about it?

Um, not weak in the bass. Not at all.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #8,434 of 9,207
Thx for your answer. And how does it sound with the LCD2rev2?

Really good IMO. Actually, it can get a bit lush for my tastes with the LCD-2 but not in any way bad. The thing about the DAC-19 is it has loads of detail and sounds very natural.

Of course a good transparent amp in the mix helps. :)

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #8,435 of 9,207
Really good IMO. Actually, it can get a bit lush for my tastes with the LCD-2 but not in any way bad. The thing about the DAC-19 is it has loads of detail and sounds very natural.

Of course a good transparent amp in the mix helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a Bryston BHA-1. Very transparent.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #8,440 of 9,207
Anyone running the LCD-2s straight off the new Chord MOJO....synergy ?

Frankly, it's awesome.

I have a blurb about the pairing in my review. Hope this helps. :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #8,441 of 9,207
Frankly, it's awesome.

I have a blurb about the pairing in my review. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice...and technically it has no amp section like normal dac/amps from following the thread.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #8,442 of 9,207

Nice...and technically it has no amp section like normal dac/amps from following the thread.

I haven't read the thread (not really interested in it), but IIRC if it's got a headphone output, it's got a headphone amp in it. It might not have separate circuitry for the headphone output and the line output, but everything with a headphone output has a headphone amp.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #8,443 of 9,207
Unless it's just a high level DAC output with maybe a buffer?

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #8,444 of 9,207
Unless it's just a high level DAC output with maybe a buffer?

This. It's a very simple active stage. Rob Watts has posted more than a few times on the lack of an amp stage in his Hugo design, and the same analogue out is in the Mojo.

If you want I can find the link to his long, technical post on the matter.

Edit: here it is.........

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1830#post_10459450

Of note is his comments in item # 3 that he lists. In it he says:

3. The lack of DAC RF OP noise means that the analogue section can be made radically simpler as the analogue filter requirements are smaller. Now in analogue terms, making it simpler, with everything else being constant, gives more transparency. You really can hear every solder joint, every passive component, and every active stage. Now Hugo has a single active stage - a very high performance op-amp with a discrete op-stage as a hybrid with a single global feedback path. This arrangement means that you have a single active stage, two resistors and two capacitors in the direct signal path - and that is it. Note: there is no headphone drive. Normal high performance DAC's have 3 op-amp stages, followed by a separate headphone amp. So to conclude - Hugo's analogue path is not a simple couple of op-amps chucked together, it is fundamentally simpler than all other headphone amp solutions.

By the way, the output from the Mojo was measured as 4.3 V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back