Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Nov 7, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #8,446 of 9,207
Hey guys, received an used headphone for lcd2.2 non fazor and pair with lyr. May I ask what kind of tube I should change instead of using the stock tube? Some people suggest amperex orange globe, how is it? And the last question is how loud is consider loud? I control in around 10-11 clock, but if goes to those rock and metal song, I sometimes will turn to 12 clock, is that normal? Or it will actually too loud hurt my ears?

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #8,447 of 9,207
Hey guys, received an used headphone for lcd2.2 non fazor and pair with lyr. May I ask what kind of tube I should change instead of using the stock tube? Some people suggest amperex orange globe, how is it? And the last question is how loud is consider loud? I control in around 10-11 clock, but if goes to those rock and metal song, I sometimes will turn to 12 clock, is that normal? Or it will actually too loud hurt my ears?

I'm loving the miniwatts personally but it's all about the type of sound you want to get.
The stock tubes sound pretty medicore once you upgrade in my opinion.
Have a look at the Lyr tube rollers thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #8,448 of 9,207
New owner of an LCD 2 here, I don't know which version but it has improved cable snapping mechanism. I'm using D1050 + Valhalla 2 to drive these and I've been seeing some sayings that Valhalla 2 is not really a good pairing. I'm using the low gain on Valhalla 2 and so far it sounds really good, I know there must better amps out there but for now this is what I can afford. I don't know whether I made the right decision or not, any opinions?

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #8,449 of 9,207
The Vahalla 2 is an OTL amp, which usually has a hard time pushing enough current into lower impedance cans. The Asgard 2 would be better... or something like the Audio-GD NFB-3AMP (both are smooth Class A, fully discrete SS amps).

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #8,450 of 9,207
  New owner of an LCD 2 here, I don't know which version but it has improved cable snapping mechanism. I'm using D1050 + Valhalla 2 to drive these and I've been seeing some sayings that Valhalla 2 is not really a good pairing. I'm using the low gain on Valhalla 2 and so far it sounds really good, I know there must better amps out there but for now this is what I can afford. I don't know whether I made the right decision or not, any opinions?

Previously I was using the Lyr 2 with my LCD-2 with great results. Not sure if you're into the tube signature, or planning to move away to a pure solid state setup, but for my money, the Lyr 2 is a great pairing. Only got rid of mine because I'm moving up to the Mjolnir 2.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #8,451 of 9,207
I'm using low gain at 11 o'clock mark and it's already loud enough for me. I don't plan on blasting my ears to oblivion lol.

Yea I was trying to get Lyr 2 but Schiit just entered my country in a special event, they only brough Magni2 +Modi2, Valhalla2 + Bifrost2, Yggdrasil and Ragnarok, when I asked about Lyr 2 the stand ownder said it would probably take 3 months from now to get it and at that time Valhalla 2 was like $300. Well I would probably wait a couple of months and sell it in order to step up.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #8,453 of 9,207
@echineko Forwarder bro? I got it from a Singaporean uncle, I wish I can just get Lyr 2 straight away but can't I really do hope they will enter Indonesia officially though, we really need more desktop dac/amp brands here. Too much focus on portable, desktop setup gets no love at all.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #8,454 of 9,207

You can tell it's a Fazor by lightly running your finger over where the driver faces your ear. If you feel ridges, that's the Fazor model. 

Regarding amps that mate well with the LCD-2, I enjoy mine the most with my Bottlehead S.E.X. and a silver clad copper cable. It's a slightly warm and full sound with very ample bass. I prefer the silver clad cable to an all copper cable to bump up the detail a bit, as the LCD-2 is warm/dark on its own. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #8,455 of 9,207
Audio Nirvana:)

Solid state or tube.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #8,456 of 9,207
Well for now I gotta contend with my DAC AMP combo but I just changed out to tube 6922, woahhhh, the sound signature fits me so well but shamefully one of the tube has crackling and popping. I gotta return it but the shop opens on Thursday because of national holiday and I can't go back there now because it's already too late.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #8,457 of 9,207

Regarding amps that mate well with the LCD-2, I enjoy mine the most with my Bottlehead S.E.X. and a silver clad copper cable. It's a slightly warm and full sound with very ample bass. I prefer the silver clad cable to an all copper cable to bump up the detail a bit, as the LCD-2 is warm/dark on its own. 

I use a silver clad copper cable as well and I totally agree. It unlocks that last level of detail with the LCD-2. It's almost like a different headphone with a great cable. It's the only cable purchase I've ever made that made a difference, and it was a major one.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #8,458 of 9,207
  I use a silver clad copper cable as well and I totally agree. It unlocks that last level of detail with the LCD-2. It's almost like a different headphone with a great cable. It's the only cable purchase I've ever made that made a difference, and it was a major one.

You have a very good ear my friend. I've built a number of cables to try with the LCD-2... UP-OCC in polyvinyl chloride (PVC), copper in polyethylene (PE) and ultra-pure copper in Teflon, both solid and stranded, and low-strand count silver clad copper in teflon/PTFE. The silver clad had the best synergy in my ears for the LCD-2. The LCD-X and LCD-XC are different animals though, I preferred the UP-OCC cables I made for those, as they are already on the crisp/neutral side of the spectrum. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #8,459 of 9,207
Decided on getting a Burson Soloist when I go for a vacation in Aussie, I really like HA160's sound on my LCD-2 but something is still lacking. Although that was the case, I read that Soloist pretty much mends those problem and even improve on it.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #8,460 of 9,207
I tested the Burston soloist (4W version) and the asgard 1 for LCD 2 fazors and the sound on both was rather similar.
I will say thou that I was running both amps near max volume to loud listening, so Going for something like Lyr seems to make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back