Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #8,476 of 9,207

Soloist is the Soloist SL bigger brother. Mind if I ask how you're getting the Soloist for $600? Doesn't retail for $1000?

I can give you a small advice but it is based on an estimation, so take it with a grain of salt:

I have: Asgard 1 (1W).
I listened to Burston soloist (4W edition, not sure what version it is).

Source was: Cowon i9 directly to the burston.

When I was listening to the LCD 2-Soloist this way, I would not go over 80% volume (it would be sinply put, painfull).
When I would listen from my Asgard and my HE-400 at home from the cowon i9, I could max the amp and be within crazy but listenable levels.

When I Hooked my HE-400 to the asgard one BUT with the Bifrost multibit, I would not go over 50% of the volume on the asgard (most of the time stayin at 30%).

http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/audeze/lcd-2/with/schiit/asgard-2

As you can see, it seems that you can get 128 db from the asgard on the Audeze, so in terms of volume it should be far more than enough.

In terms of quality.... Cant say... most of these amps sound very similar to me.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #8,477 of 9,207
  I can give you a small advice but it is based on an estimation, so take it with a grain of salt:

I have: Asgard 1 (1W).
I listened to Burston soloist (4W edition, not sure what version it is).

Source was: Cowon i9 directly to the burston.

When I was listening to the LCD 2-Soloist this way, I would not go over 80% volume (it would be sinply put, painfull).
When I would listen from my Asgard and my HE-400 at home from the cowon i9, I could max the amp and be within crazy but listenable levels.

When I Hooked my HE-400 to the asgard one BUT with the Bifrost multibit, I would not go over 50% of the volume on the asgard (most of the time stayin at 30%).

http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/audeze/lcd-2/with/schiit/asgard-2

As you can see, it seems that you can get 128 db from the asgard on the Audeze, so in terms of volume it should be far more than enough.

In terms of quality.... Cant say... most of these amps sound very similar to me.

Yea, 4W compared to 1W you will definitely not get 4 times the volume. The dB increases are relative.

Also, the Bifrost is probably lower voltage (more efficient) than the cowon therefore you need less power on both amps before going into red.

Scalability all depends on equipment and of course, your ears :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #8,478 of 9,207
Hi guys, still no closer to buying my amp :)

Shall i just go Schiit stack Modi Magni non-uber. Is there a point in getting the Uber version? When would i need to use the optical ports on the DAC, and on the amp?

Or Schiit Modi + Lyr 2

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #8,479 of 9,207

Shall i just go Schiit stack Modi Magni non-uber. Is there a point in getting the Uber version? When would i need to use the optical ports on the DAC, and on the amp?

Or Schiit Modi + Lyr 2

Uber is a bit more powerful. The RCA Outputs are there so you can control your active speakers (volume) with the Magni Ubers' knob.

Modi + Lyr 2 is my choice.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #8,480 of 9,207

Or Schiit Modi + Lyr 2

I would just spend the little extra for the modi uber just in case you want to connect more one source to it.  

If there is truly no need, just regular modi is good.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #8,481 of 9,207

Or Schiit Modi + Lyr 2

I had the Modi usb + Lyr 2 and was very happy with it for about a month.
The Lyr2 was recommended to me here I think, volume wise about %50 was a good listening level on low gain.
Also tube rolling can add another dimension to the sound.

I would be worried about the Magni having enough "oomph" to properly power the LCD-2 but got no experience on using that.

Good though the Modi is I would say that if your budget allows it consider a Bifrost MB.
The sound difference was amazing, but it's another large amount of cash to spend I know.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #8,482 of 9,207
I got the soloist at the end of the year for 890 AUD from addicted to audio, man I'll probably keep this amp for a very long time.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #8,483 of 9,207
  I had the Modi usb + Lyr 2 and was very happy with it for about a month.
The Lyr2 was recommended to me here I think, volume wise about %50 was a good listening level on low gain.
Also tube rolling can add another dimension to the sound.

I would be worried about the Magni having enough "oomph" to properly power the LCD-2 but got no experience on using that.

Good though the Modi is I would say that if your budget allows it consider a Bifrost MB.
The sound difference was amazing, but it's another large amount of cash to spend I know.

Thanks for everyone's input. Budget does allow me to get the Bifrost MB + Lyr 2 but i am trying not to jump too fast and keep the cost to a minimum at the moment.
3 months ago, all i had was ATH-AD700 then came the HE 400i sale during Black Friday.. 6 weeks later, bought the LCD2+AK JR. Hopefully I can sell the AK JR in australia so I can put that towards my ampdac :)

Starting to think .. it's a trap!

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #8,484 of 9,207
@NeoWilson it's a slippery slope from here on unless you managed to find a very good combo that can hold your upgradeitis from becoming more malignant for some months lol.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #8,485 of 9,207
  Thanks for everyone's input. Budget does allow me to get the Bifrost MB + Lyr 2 but i am trying not to jump too fast and keep the cost to a minimum at the moment.
3 months ago, all i had was ATH-AD700 then came the HE 400i sale during Black Friday.. 6 weeks later, bought the LCD2+AK JR. Hopefully I can sell the AK JR in australia so I can put that towards my ampdac :)

yeah... you fell into it, just like the rest of us....
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #8,486 of 9,207

you are screwed. Next you will want the really good stuff, like the Feliks Elise.,
I'm not kidding. It is phenominal.
don't use that word much , but it is.
Best 600 you will ever spend. 600 with no tubes.
Read the forums for best tube choice.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #8,487 of 9,207
Just posted this same question in the Deckard thread but might as well ask it here.

Which would be better for the LCD2 the Deckard or Schiit Asgard 2/ Bifrost stack? The LCD2 will be my first pair of high end headphones and I don't have an amp or dac at all. Source for this will be my 2015 Macbook Pro. Any info will help! Thanks! 

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #8,489 of 9,207
looking for recommendations for tube amps as i like a warmer sound.

any other recommendations other than the lyr 2? Don't really have a good impression of schiit as my friends have all experienced some sort of QC issues with em

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #8,490 of 9,207
Hey Klyzon - I get your question. I have a Lyr 2 and have done a lot of tube rolling with my LCDs. More recently I've tried to find an amp that's "better" than it and I just haven't. It may be the style of music that I listen to (metal, rock) but the lyr connects you directly to the tubes and let's you tailor the sound in ways that are fantastic. The price may seem cheap for it, but once you spend $500 for old Seimens CCA or Bugle Boy tubes it's not cheap anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back