Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 3, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #8,491 of 9,207
  looking for recommendations for tube amps as i like a warmer sound.

any other recommendations other than the lyr 2? Don't really have a good impression of schiit as my friends have all experienced some sort of QC issues with em

My Feliks Elise absolutely kills the Lyr I owned. The Lyr is not in the same league as the Elise. It may cost you a tad more and the Elise will take time to arrive, as it is made after you order, but it is well worth it.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #8,492 of 9,207
Ooooo that's nice. I may be tempted by that .....

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #8,493 of 9,207
after sourcing around, i found a WA7fireflies thats slightly more expensive than a lyr2 :)

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #8,494 of 9,207
  looking for recommendations for tube amps as i like a warmer sound.

any other recommendations other than the lyr 2? Don't really have a good impression of schiit as my friends have all experienced some sort of QC issues with em

I've heard of very few QC issues with Schiit and I've never had a single problem. Any problems I have seen they will deal with immediately and fairly. I wouldn't let that put you off. What issues have they had?

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #8,495 of 9,207
a friend blew a couple of headphones with it. I guess i might go with the wa7 firefllies

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #8,496 of 9,207
  a friend blew a couple of headphones with it. I guess i might go with the wa7 firefllies

That's certainly not a QC issue, that's someone plugging in headphones that can't handle the power. The Lyr 1 is especially well known to melt headphones that people use without thinking "can this little guy handle a couple watts of power?"

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #8,498 of 9,207
That's certainly not a QC issue, that's someone plugging in headphones that can't handle the power. The Lyr 1 is especially well known to melt headphones that people use without thinking "can this little guy handle a couple watts of power?"

For these affordable amps, Schiit couldnt afford to put a muting relay in them at the beginning. People started knowing when their drivers are going poof...

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #8,499 of 9,207
For these affordable amps, Schiit couldnt afford to put a muting relay in them at the beginning. People started knowing when their drivers are going poof...

Lol, couldn't afford putting a muting relay? So you are saying it's better to price it cheaper and sell it cheaper, but have the risk of damaging headphones? As always Schiit fanboys are always blinded by smart marketing.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #8,500 of 9,207

Lol, couldn't afford putting a muting relay? So you are saying it's better to price it cheaper and sell it cheaper, but have the risk of damaging headphones? As always Schiit fanboys are always blinded by smart marketing.

1. How does this have to do with Schiit fanboys being blinded? This is the truth, not marketing.

2. I'm sure that Schiit does not give a damn whether you blow your headphones up or not. If it explicitly says there is no muting relay on the manual, the onus is on the end user to do his due diligence.

You'd be surprised that many relatively affordable amplifiers do not come with muting relays. Even if they did, I always advise to unplug before shutting off.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #8,501 of 9,207

1. How does this have to do with Schiit fanboys being blinded? This is the truth, not marketing.

2. I'm sure that Schiit does not give a damn whether you blow your headphones up or not. If it explicitly says there is no muting relay on the manual, the onus is on the end user to do his due diligence.

You'd be surprised that many relatively affordable amplifiers do not come with muting relays. Even if they did, I always advise to unplug before shutting off.

Are you seriously trying to defend them when they put out a product meant for headphones, but have the ability to blow headphones???? They intentionally excluded DC offsets relay because it has a high failure rate, which directly contradicts how they pride themselves on their 'excellent 5 year warranty'. Yet people still worship the Schiit altar while trashing Chinese companies like Audio-Gd, Aune, etc. for poor warranty service.

Schiit does not care if you blow your headphones or not???? Seriously, what kind of company doesn't care if they deliver a product that can blow your headphones? So by your definition, you're saying Schiit doesn't care about their customers? Maybe, yeah.

EDIT: This is what I meant when I talk about fanboys. Schiit intentionally excluded a component that is critical to power delivery safety, but somehow their fanboys still think Schiit is right and definitely not at fault. Instead it's the user's fault for blowing their headphones (excellently said by cuiter23). I've gone through this argument several times, but all replies always end with 'Schiit is still great!' or 'The Asgard still sounds good!'. There's no point in cooking up a reply to mine, I'm done debating this.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #8,502 of 9,207

Are you seriously trying to defend them when they put out a product meant for headphones, but have the ability to blow headphones???? They intentionally excluded DC offsets relay because it has a high failure rate, which directly contradicts how they pride themselves on their 'excellent 5 year warranty'. Yet people still worship the Schiit altar while trashing Chinese companies like Audio-Gd, Aune, etc. for poor warranty service.

Schiit does not care if you blow your headphones or not???? Seriously, what kind of company doesn't care if they deliver a product that can blow your headphones? So by your definition, you're saying Schiit doesn't care about their customers? Maybe, yeah.

First you called me a Schiit fanboy and now you say I am criticizing Schiit? Where did I ever say I was backing them up or let alone supporting them at all? My post was more negative (i.e. No muting relay = bad) rather than singing praises about them.

My response was to "WHY" the headphones kept blowing, I did not place any judgements on Schiit as a company until you came along and falsely imposed that association.

Let me reiterate - the reason why headphones blew was precisely because the Lyr 1 and Asgard 1 did not have muting relays built-in and cost was one of the factors.

It is important to note that the statement above does not entail any sort of prejudices or opinions towards Schiit whatsoever.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #8,503 of 9,207

First you called me a Schiit fanboy and now you say I am criticizing Schiit? Where did I ever say I was backing them up or let alone supporting them at all? My post was more negative (i.e. No muting relay = bad) rather than singing praises about them.

My response was to "WHY" the headphones kept blowing, I did not place any judgements on Schiit as a company until you came along and falsely imposed that association.

Let me reiterate - the reason why headphones blew was precisely because the Lyr 1 and Asgard 1 did not have muting relays built-in and cost was one of the factors.

It is important to note that the statement above does not entail any sort of prejudices or opinions towards Schiit whatsoever.

I see. I must have misunderstood then. It's just that when you mentioned 'couldn't afford putting a muting relay', the terminology used seems to show that you were defending them. I would say 'decided not to' would be a better term if you wanted to portray yourself as completely neutral about the issue.

Anyway, doesn't matter, I assumed wrongly. It's an issue of the past anyway, and I don't want to derail the thread.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #8,504 of 9,207

Not sure about the Lyr 1, but the Asgard 1 definitely blew headphones

The Lyr 1 was infamous for destroying D7000s when it first came out.  The start-up transient was more than 25-ohm cans could handle.  Thankfully I only ever used a small Nuforce unit with my Denons when I had them. 

On topic, has anybody used the LCD-2s with TOTL Audio-GD gear?  I'm thinking of either upgrading my amp in a year to the NFB-27H or going straight to the HE1000.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #8,505 of 9,207

EDIT: This is what I meant when I talk about fanboys. Schiit intentionally excluded a component that is critical to power delivery safety, but somehow their fanboys still think Schiit is right and definitely not at fault. Instead it's the user's fault for blowing their headphones (excellently said by cuiter23). I've gone through this argument several times, but all replies always end with 'Schiit is still great!' or 'The Asgard still sounds good!'. There's no point in cooking up a reply to mine, I'm done debating this.

Well, I guess you better never, ever buy an amplifier and tower speakers, because it's actually pretty easy to blow speakers up with normal amplifiers if you don't know how to match them. As another user said, the onus is on you. The'yre providing you an amp with really high power, telling you upfront exactly what power it will deliver to your headphones, and that it doesn't give a damn if your headphones can handle the power or not. I'm a big fan of this, personally. It just requires you to understand your headphones and your amp better.

It's not a critical device by any stretch of the imagination. Many companies put as few devices in the signal path as they can. Others put more in there so they won't ever have to deal with people's problems. It's just a design philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back