Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 3, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #8,161 of 9,207
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
  Yes. It's a question of taste and listening level.

Ya, it's really subjective  and personal I agree

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #8,162 of 9,207

Hi Lohb,

Although I just purchased my LCD-2 a few days ago, the manufacture date is back in late 2014.

I searched the web and dogged out all the documentation from the package, but I still have no idea what version my LCD-2 is.

Is there anyway to know the exact version of my pair?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #8,163 of 9,207
  I currently purchased a pair of LCD-2, and I also have SRH1540 on hand.
Regarding SRH1540, it's a closed back design. The air cannot pass the ear cup in and out, so the sound stage suffered quit a bit.

Many people considering LCD-2 lacks the open feeling of most open back headphones, but in my humble opinion, the sound stage is much wider than the SRH1540.

I have never tried HD650, so I cannot comment on this.  But the sound stage of my other headphone HD700 is even better than the LCD-2,
but sometimes the brightness of HD700 causes fatigue on my ears, and that's the reason I prefer the warm feeling of LCD-2.

What about the bass amount / impact of the LCD 2 vs the 1540? I would like more bass resolution than the 1540, but the quantity the 1540 is about right, as opposed to the HD650 for example which have almost no sub bass. For example if you EQ'd both 1540 and LCD 2 to have as much bass as possible, which is the most powerful? Most music I leave it flat or almost flat with the 1540, but electronic music I like to add bass below 60hz. HE400 had about perfect amount of bass as well, It does not sound bloated or mess up the lower mids in normal music, but can be EQ'd to have a lot of bass for electronic music. I also don't like sibilance or bright treble, the 1540 are about right, the HE400 sibilance was just horrible tbh, HD650 was nice but a bit boring.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #8,164 of 9,207
Hi Nicholars,

It's kind of weird, my amp is Marantz HD-DAC1. It seems it can't pull out the bass from LCD-2, but it does a good job to drive SRH1540.  There maybe something wrong with the setting or I need a more powerful amp.

I am kind of interested in Schiit Lyr2 and keep my HD-DAC1 as a pure DAC.

Schiit Lyr2 is out of stock in my country, I think it will take a while for me to get it and give you a correct answer.

Audeze is giving a 30 days of evaluation without charge.
It might be a better idea for you to get a pair and listen to it with your own ears.

Sorry I cannot give you my opinion right now, but don't miss the chance that  Audeze is offering.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #8,165 of 9,207

Hi Lohb,

Although I just purchased my LCD-2 a few days ago, the manufacture date is back in late 2014.

I searched the web and dogged out all the documentation from the package, but I still have no idea what version my LCD-2 is.

Is there anyway to know the exact version of my pair?

Thanks in advance for any information!

That's after the time the fazors were introduced in the LCD2 models I believe. Mine are September 2013 and are non-fazored 2.2c's (for classic). Anything much later would be a 2.2f (for fazor).

Lightly feel the inside of the earcup where the sound emanates from. If you feel a series of pointy ridges that is the fazor waveguide assembly and you have a 2.2f. If it feels like flat ridges you have the 2.2c.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #8,166 of 9,207
  That's around the time the fazors were introduced in the LCD2 models I believe. Mine are September 2014 and are non-fazored 2.2c's (for classic). Anything much later would be a 2.2f (for fazor).

Lightly feel the inside of the earcup where the sound emanates from. If you feel a series of pointy ridges that is the fazor waveguide assembly and you have a 2.2f. If it feels like flat ridges you have the 2.2c.

Surely you mean September 2013?

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #8,167 of 9,207
Sep 3, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #8,168 of 9,207
  Hi Nicholars,

It's kind of weird, my amp is Marantz HD-DAC1. It seems it can't pull out the bass from LCD-2, but it does a good job to drive SRH1540.  There maybe something wrong with the setting or I need a more powerful amp.

I am kind of interested in Schiit Lyr2 and keep my HD-DAC1 as a pure DAC.

Schiit Lyr2 is out of stock in my country, I think it will take a while for me to get it and give you a correct answer.

Audeze is giving a 30 days of evaluation without charge.
It might be a better idea for you to get a pair and listen to it with your own ears.

Sorry I cannot give you my opinion right now, but don't miss the chance that  Audeze is offering.

I don't know what the specs of the headphone amp are... It is surprising how hard it is to find such simple information from most manufacturers.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #8,169 of 9,207

I don't know what the specs of the headphone amp are... It is surprising how hard it is to find such simple information from most manufacturers.

"800mW / 32 ohm", so about ~400mW for the LCD-2s. Enough to not have volume issues, but perhaps some would argue more power helps bring them to life.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #8,170 of 9,207
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on me about how powerful of an amp the LCD2f would require?  I am going to be obtaining the LCD2f hopefully soon, and currently have the Woo Audio WA6 amp.  From reading older posts about the LCD2 and LCD2.2, I was under the impression that the WA6 would not supply enough current to drive them sufficiently, but after reading some of the more recent posts regarding the new fazor technology, many posters make it sound like they are less demanding?  Is this true?  Would the WA6 be a good pairing?

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #8,171 of 9,207
The Fazor tech increases sensitivity by about 3dB/1 mW, so the Fazor means you need only half the power of non-Fazored 2.2's. Power also depends on tubes, IIRC, so maybe check on that?

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #8,172 of 9,207
The WA6 is an SET with output transformers that (according to the specs I can find) can drive about 500mW but I couldn't find at what impedance that was. If it's at 32ohms it's going to be challenged to really drive them, even with the fazors. At least it's the right topology for what you're looking to drive and not OTL.

Hopefully someone with that pairing can chime in. There's a lot of WA6 reviews that undoubtedly pair them with Audeze's: would be worth a read through those until someone with prior experience can chime in.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #8,173 of 9,207
Thank you all so much for your feedback.  I took a year of physics in college and remember ohm's law, but I definitely need to brush up because I find matching an amp to a headphone to be tricky business!  Anyway, I was doing some research into the WA6 manual, and the output looks like it does: 

580mW @32Ω
550mW @60Ω
590mW @120Ω
460mW @300Ω
400mW @600Ω 

Most of the reviews that I saw found the pairing to be lacking, but I was thinking that since they were older reviews and not likely fazor LCD2, maybe I wouldn't have to get a new amp!  

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #8,174 of 9,207
Assuming this is a perfect voltage amp (which nearly never happens (0 ohm output impedance, and no current limiting/non-linear behavior))... then there should be half the power at 64Ω compared to 32Ω. P=V^2/R is what we should use. The behavior shown here is very typical of a tube amp - especially an OTL design with a high output impedance and current limiting. Strange this behavior occurs even with a transformer as strongly as it does... where did you find this info?

EDIT:: Found the info - doesn't say which impedance setting the amp is at, though it does say it was with the use of a 6DR7 tube. Maybe this is at the high-impedance output setting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back