Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 30, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #8,147 of 9,207
  My LCD-2 fazors sound good at low volume to me but, I did like my Hifiman HE-400's played a bit louder.

Yeah, I'm surprised how much they keep some dynamics when at low volume. The HD-650 seems to need a bit of volume to come alive. Likewise for the HE-400's.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #8,148 of 9,207
  One thing about the 2.2's is they seem to keep their distinctive sound across different amps, and also seem to react less to EQ settings. Some cans are real chameleons and can change dramatically on different amps or EQ settings, but the 2.2's distinctive sound seems to always come through.

I have several amps, but none of them seem to change the soundstage much, even though they may change other factors like texture or the highs. Various DSP effects may be the best route with these if you want to simulate a wider more spacious sound. Just my opinion.

Thank you, to be honest I have the same experience with different amps and LCD-2. Probably just wanted to make sure I can hear:) 
The DSP effects is exactly my way to go when listening to the music that requires more air. I use J.River - DSP effects - Surround Field.

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #8,150 of 9,207
I listened for the first time today to the Audeze. 

It will be for sure the next pair of headphone that will be plugged into my Asgard 2 :) 

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #8,152 of 9,207
  Mine are the pre-fazor, and are a very in-close sound, much like the 650. If you want wider the HD-800 or AKG's are good, but very different sounds.

I don't find the HD650 closed in, I like the HD650, except for the "3 blob" soundstage, not a huge soundstage, but not "closed in" like you get from some closed headphones etc. Maybe we are confusing terminology.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8,153 of 9,207
  With the Bryston BHA-1 and LCD 2.2 pre-Fazor, subjectively they sound a lot better when they're quite loud. Though they're still good even when pretty quiet.

I can attest to that, as a new/first owner of a pair of planar magnetic headphones I was pleasantly surprised by the LCD-2.2s (non-fazor) tonal presentation at all volumes with the BHA-1….my initial impressions were relatively skewed though…finding them while pleasant…lacking base and dynamics, the opposite of what I’ve been reading and even heard at my local dealer with the fazor model
confused.gif
…that was until I discovered the balanced cable was wired out of phase.
frown.gif

All has been corrected and I find that they do stand up to all the hype and a nice compliment to my HD700s…wonderful deep extended base and a very natural presentation.
o2smile.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #8,154 of 9,207
  Well 2F had more detailed and had a larger soundstage but was less involving because there was less foundation (bass). The LCD2.2 sounded more natural and balanced for me. Also with my amp (bryston bha-1) the LCD2.2 has enough details for my taste.

Are the fazor relatively bass light compared to the originals? Or is it a small difference? Same with soundstage etc. are they big differences or small? Can you also compare either of them to the SRH 1540 or HD650?

As I prefer darker headphones... But also don't like small soundstage, that leaves me with a bit of a predicament.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #8,155 of 9,207

I don't find the HD650 closed in, I like the HD650, except for the "3 blob" soundstage, not a huge soundstage, but not "closed in" like you get from some closed headphones etc. Maybe we are confusing terminology.

Possibly lol. Perhaps intimate is a better description. I just did a mini-review of the 650 with the Byston BHA-1 on their threads and was quite surprised how much the BHA-1 (a brighter-to-neutral amp) opened up the soundstage on the 650's compared to my other amps when run balanced. Three-blob and intimate is how I would normally describe them, but the combo above did wonders for a wider and more spacious soundstage. Smoothed out that mid-bass hump too, although that's one of the nicer and defining characteristics of the 650.

I can attest to that, as a new/first owner of a pair of planar magnetic headphones I was pleasantly surprised by the LCD-2.2s (non-fazor) tonal presentation at all volumes with the BHA-1….my initial impressions were relatively skewed though…finding them while pleasant…lacking base and dynamics, the opposite of what I’ve been reading and even heard at my local dealer with the fazor model
confused.gif
…that was until I discovered the balanced cable was wired out of phase.
frown.gif

All has been corrected and I find that they do stand up to all the hype and a nice compliment to my HD700s…wonderful deep extended base and a very natural presentation.
o2smile.gif

Quite agree. The 2.2c and BHA-1 are a great pairing - really compliment each other. The great bass of the 2.2c still comes through while the darker presentation of the 2.2c seems evened out by a bit more high end from the BHA-1. Combined with the power and detail of the balanced output it's a very good pair.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #8,156 of 9,207

Are the fazor relatively bass light compared to the originals? Or is it a small difference? Same with soundstage etc. are they big differences or small? Can you also compare either of them to the SRH 1540 or HD650?

As I prefer darker headphones... But also don't like small soundstage, that leaves me with a bit of a predicament.

The fazor isn't bass light but has less low end than the pre-fazor. It's not night and day. Fazor having a bit more treble than the pre-fazor the soundstage is a bit larger.
I had a HD650 long time ago. The difference is big. The LCD fazor or pre fazor beats the HD650 in all department (sub, bass, medium, treble, soundstage, precision, distortion, ...).
I can't say for the  SRH 1540.

Possibly lol. Perhaps intimate is a better description. I just did a mini-review of the 650 with the Byston BHA-1 on their threads and was quite surprised how much the BHA-1 (a brighter-to-neutral amp) opened up the soundstage on the 650's compared to my other amps when run balanced. Three-blob and intimate is how I would normally describe them, but the combo above did wonders for a wider and more spacious soundstage. Smoothed out that mid-bass hump too, although that's one of the nicer and defining characteristics of the 650.

Quite agree. The 2.2c and BHA-1 are a great pairing - really compliment each other. The great bass of the 2.2c still comes through while the darker presentation of the 2.2c seems evened out by a bit more high end from the BHA-1. Combined with the power and detail of the balanced output it's a very good pair.

Another LCD2.2 / BHA-1 lover here. And balanced please :)

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #8,157 of 9,207
  If you listen loud a darker sound is less fatiguing. And yes LCD2 sound best loud.

You might damage your hearing listening to planars 'loud', as the distortion cue (which can show with dynamic cans) is not there to tell you they may be into the hearing loss territory.
Edit : (Actually I've been finding IEM's worse with this due to their laser-like presentation at higher volumes)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/earbud-increases-hidden-hearing-loss-risk-study-article-1.2230945

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #8,158 of 9,207

You might damage your hearing listening to planars 'loud', as the distortion cue (which can show with dynamic cans) is not there to tell you they may be into the hearing loss territory.
Edit : (Actually I've been finding IEM's worse with this due to their laser-like presentation at higher volumes)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/earbud-increases-hidden-hearing-loss-risk-study-article-1.2230945

Yep I know. In this this article, they talked more precisely about earbuds.
Anyway I don't go up 104 dB (otherwise I start to have stereo imaging issues) and if I listening at high level, I take breaks.
Actually the bass will trigger your ears compression which is a natural protection. I wouldn't say the same with a more high/mid oriented headphone, the ear being more sensitive to the the 3khz -5khz region due to internal resonance.
So with the LCD having good bass and being not bright you can more easily listen to the them at a comfortable level.
Now with a good amp the LCD won't distort and you can easily go up to the dangerous territory without notice it.
But all things being equal I would say that 110dB on a LCD will be less damaging than the HD800 at the same level.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #8,159 of 9,207
I currently purchased a pair of LCD-2, and I also have SRH1540 on hand.
Regarding SRH1540, it's a closed back design. The air cannot pass the ear cup in and out, so the sound stage suffered quit a bit.

Many people considering LCD-2 lacks the open feeling of most open back headphones, but in my humble opinion, the sound stage is much wider than the SRH1540.

I have never tried HD650, so I cannot comment on this.  But the sound stage of my other headphone HD700 is even better than the LCD-2,
but sometimes the brightness of HD700 causes fatigue on my ears, and that's the reason I prefer the warm feeling of LCD-2.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #8,160 of 9,207
  I currently purchased a pair of LCD-2, and I also have SRH1540 on hand.
Regarding SRH1540, it's a closed back design. The air cannot pass the ear cup in and out, so the sound stage suffered quit a bit.

Many people considering LCD-2 lacks the open feeling of most open back headphones, but in my humble opinion, the sound stage is much wider than the SRH1540.

I have never tried HD650, so I cannot comment on this.  But the sound stage of my other headphone HD700 is even better than the LCD-2,
but sometimes the brightness of HD700 causes fatigue on my ears, and that's the reason I prefer the warm feeling of LCD-2.

There are various version of LCD-2 and the older talk was of that restricted sound-stage/or intimate dpending on how you see it, but if you have F version that is simply why, each revision has dealt with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back