Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Apr 29, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #7,951 of 9,207
is the ifi micro ican more powerful than alo mk3 B

On balanced mode no, single ended yes. But even if no, why the fuss? 400mW at 32ohms is way enough for the LCD-2. Being Class A with excellent implementation is enough for me. It's waaaaay better than the iFi micro iDSD's amp IMO.

Why you looking for another amp btw?

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #7,952 of 9,207
i thought if if i have a more powerful amp than alo mk3 i will get more than what i am getting now, also the bass i like in alo mk3 but i thought if there is an amp with better and more punchy bass

May 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #7,953 of 9,207

I'm looking to upgrade to a BHA-1, been in love with Bryston since I was a kid aspiring to be an audiophile.  Let me know what you think!

Good luck with them, enjoy!

+10
wink.gif

More headroom, greater sense of "ease" with dynamic music, astounding clarity and transparency.

May 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #7,954 of 9,207

+10
wink.gif

More headroom, greater sense of "ease" with dynamic music, astounding clarity and transparency.

Sorry for the newbie question, but putting this in language I can understand, does that mean you can play complex music with multiple instruments playing in unison and be able to distinguish them separately?  This seems to be one of the hardest thing for DAC's and amp's to do.   There is probably a term for this :)

May 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #7,955 of 9,207
It's called separation and placement in our lingo. A good DAC will do this without sacrificing clarity and can integrate the "whole". Seeing the forest as well as the trees is an important aspect of musicality.
Transparency and clarity are not the same thing. Trans. means you hear everything on the recording. If it's there, you should hear it. But what you hear may/may not be crystal clear.

May 4, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #7,956 of 9,207
  It's called separation and placement in our lingo. A good DAC will do this without sacrificing clarity and can integrate the "whole". Seeing the forest as well as the trees is an important aspect of musicality.
Transparency and clarity are not the same thing. Trans. means you hear everything on the recording. If it's there, you should hear it. But what you hear may/may not be crystal clear.

Thank you!  So a good DAC will be transparent and feature all the music, but will also separate with clarity.  :)

To that end, it's amazing how good this AK120 is as a full blown DAP.  Off topic I know, but the DAC is great.  It doesn't have the musicality of the Antelope, it's a little colder / harsher but the separation is just amazing.  Part of the reason it's great is probably related to the fact that the amp and DAC are integrated together which allows for tight control (think of a Mac versus a DIY PC) - and a reason to use higher sensitivity headphones and not amplifying the analog output yourself.

Is it fair to say that an amp's job is to not "lose" the exposed qualities from the DAC?  Not losing the sources sound.  But adding in it's own flavors / qualities gives it personality that you either like or don't.  It's not like an amp can "add" clarity by this definition.  If it's harsh from the DAC, it's not going to be saved / made clear.

Thanks again for the lesson - very helpful

May 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #7,957 of 9,207
Synergy is the key. Not perfection, whatever that is. Amp, DAC, source, all working well together. Concentrate on your sources. If they're corrupted, it doesn't matter what the quality of the DAC/amp is. It all flows down/starts from the sources, like a waterfall. For me, neutrality is a prized trait with my amps. Then transparency. As little coloration as possible.

May 17, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #7,959 of 9,207
Could I get some opinions as to what would be the better DAC for some LCD-2's I just picketdup.  I'll be using v200 for an amp and I'm trying to decide between the concero HD or the Yulong da8 for the DAC.  I'm wondering which of these will open up the soundstage of the LCD's more.  

May 18, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #7,960 of 9,207
  Could I get some opinions as to what would be the better DAC for some LCD-2's I just picketdup.  I'll be using v200 for an amp and I'm trying to decide between the concero HD or the Yulong da8 for the DAC.  I'm wondering which of these will open up the soundstage of the LCD's more.  

I have owned both a concero (not HD) and DA8 as wel as LCD2's and have to say that the DA8 is a decent step up in almost every way compared to the concero, except for size and build quality.  The concero is milled from a single block of metal and I don't think that any chassis can really compete with that.  That being said I think that the DA8 will definately sound better.  

May 18, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #7,961 of 9,207
So i finally got myself a LCD-2~~ Wondering what i should be getting next to step up the amp. I'm currently using an indeed G2 with a 7308 phillips JAN tube, Should the next thing be a Lyr 2 or Project Ember? (if so which one would you guys recommend?) Or Should i just go straight up to the $800 range of a Violectric V200 / Schitt Mjolnir/ Burson Soloist? Or lastly... just save for like a Beta22 or something?

May 18, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #7,962 of 9,207
  So i finally got myself a LCD-2~~ Wondering what i should be getting next to step up the amp. I'm currently using an indeed G2 with a 7308 phillips JAN tube, Should the next thing be a Lyr 2 or Project Ember? (if so which one would you guys recommend?) Or Should i just go straight up to the $800 range of a Violectric V200 / Schitt Mjolnir/ Burson Soloist? Or lastly... just save for like a Beta22 or something?

One to check out is the Gustard H10 thread....From reports its high current class A output goes great with planars.

May 18, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #7,963 of 9,207

do you prefer tube sound or solid state?

tubewise pick up a lyr 2 used off the forum. Woo has some offerings higher up but that's out of my price range and can't contribute from experience.

if solid state is your thing then pick up a V200 clono (the Gustard H10) cheap, or go big with the soloist. 

May 18, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #7,964 of 9,207
Wow that Gustard H10 looks pretty amazing. According to some ppl on the other thread it actually sounds better than the V200. I might just get this and call it a day for a while. I do like the tube sound, but solid states work too, really just looking for an optimal match to the LCD2's. 

Side note: while looking up the V200  & Gustard H10, i found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFI-OmniBalance-Headphone-Amplifier-Reference-Germany-Violectric-HPA-V181-AMP-/271807827603?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f49024e93

Are these any good? Or should i just go with the Gustard H10 since there seems to be a good following of positive reviews on that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back