Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 27, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #7,846 of 9,207
You'd have to look up the filters individually, they all serve different purposes. There's issues of pre and post ringing, different level frequency cutoffs....... until we get perfect filters, analog will always have an advantage in this sense. There might be a YouTube video with a few good examples, if I run across one I'll post it here or PM you with it.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #7,847 of 9,207
can you please explain to me how these filters work?

+1 on what jodgey4 said, that's basically it.

You can go to Audiolab's website and download the manual, which explains in more detail how all the filters work. The Optimal Transient filters are as analogue-like as they can be to my ears. And the CD player is excellent as well. The Minimum Phase filter is the one claimed by Audiolab to be most analogue-like though.

I think it has all the popular filters out there.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #7,848 of 9,207
+1 on what jodgey4 said, that's basically it.

You can go to Audiolab's website and download the manual, which explains in more detail how all the filters work. The Optimal Transient filters are as analogue-like as they can be to my ears. And the CD player is excellent as well. The Minimum Phase filter is the one claimed by Audiolab to be most analogue-like though.

I think it has all the popular filters out there.

Oh, to add, there's also the issue of timing/phase delay, meaning some frequencies gets delayed or advanced a bit in terms of timing. This is usually the trade off for removing the pre-ringing that occurs (pre-ringing is the culprit on that digitally sounding sound). So, conversely, pre-ringing is the trade off for perfect timing/phase.

Some are saying these pre-ringing and timing/phase delays are not discernible to one's ears---I disagree, I hear it.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #7,849 of 9,207
Minimum Phase is my favorite, and iMHO is the best compromise of all. It doesn't have pre-ringing, which doesn't exist on all music recordings and live music, but has slight timing phase delays, which actually exists in real music especially live music (musicians are never perfect you know, plus it makes the music more jazzy :D). And this delays are really very slight, the pre-ringings aren't, so good choice here. The remaining post-ringing I think really helps on soundstaging. Come to think of it, there's post-ringings on real music---the echoes and whistles. There's a white paper somewhere re this Minimum Phase filter. I think it's spot on.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #7,850 of 9,207
You'd have to look up the filters individually, they all serve different purposes. There's issues of pre and post ringing, different level frequency cutoffs....... until we get perfect filters, analog will always have an advantage in this sense. There might be a YouTube video with a few good examples, if I run across one I'll post it here or PM you with it.
thanks for the response. I would also appreciate the pm, if you happen to remember!

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #7,853 of 9,207
  Hows the Schiit Asgard for these headphones? I understand the Lyr is great for it.

I use my Asgard 2 with my LCD-2 every day and I love it.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7,854 of 9,207
Hearing the Beresford Caiman Mk2 is superb with LCD 2.2F from one member....the internal amp stage more than enough to power it vs the older Bushmaster Mk2 which could not power planars on its own.

The price is a steal considering it's a DAC/amp combo.....powered off battery and many aspects bump up a level again. The designer has just released a new firmware for it which improves the bar again.
Depth/width imaging/natural SQ presentation are supposed to be its main strength...

EDIT: There may be volume pot issues with the very easy to drive F version LCD-2.. as in the pot is too sensitive from 7-9 a.m position....

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #7,855 of 9,207
  Hows the Schiit Asgard for these headphones? I understand the Lyr is great for it.

Asgard is just fine.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #7,856 of 9,207
Mar 22, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #7,857 of 9,207
Currently using a Magni/Modi with a pre-Fazor LCD 2.2. Planning on upgrading both amp and DAC soon.

How do the Lyr 2 and the Mjolnir sound with the LCD 2 compared to the Magni? Brighter, less bright?

Also, what are some of the more noticeable sound differences between the Schiit amps and the Burson Conductor/Soloist with the LCD 2?

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #7,858 of 9,207
I was very happy with my setup for years. Lyr and Bifrost. I bought an Oppo Ha-1 because I
I wanted to go balanced. I only received it yesterday, but I can't get the 2.2s off my head. This is one great unit with
the 2.2s

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #7,859 of 9,207
I was very happy with my setup for years. Lyr and Bifrost. I bought an Oppo Ha-1 because I
I wanted to go balanced. I only received it yesterday, but I can't get the 2.2s off my head. This is one great unit with
the 2.2s

Oppo Ha-1 sounds great also with LCD-X.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #7,860 of 9,207
And balanced to the XC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back