Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 22, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #7,831 of 9,207
  Is there anyone using MapleTree Ear+ HD to fit with LCD-2?
How do you think about this amp?

That would be me.  If you like intimate recordings (girl with piano, jazz quartets, chamber music) then it works pretty well.  Forget it for rock or big orchestral recordings, or EDM or grunge.  I use mine at work and listen at low level, so it is nearly perfect for my needs.  I did end up modding my EAR to pump up the juice a bit and get rid of the electrolytics in the output path.  I'm very happy with the results.

As others have said, the MAD amps are an ideal match with many Grado's.  When I want to rock out, those are the cans I reach for.

Best of luck in your search!

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #7,832 of 9,207

That would be me.  If you like intimate recordings (girl with piano, jazz quartets, chamber music) then it works pretty well.  Forget it for rock or big orchestral recordings, or EDM or grunge.  I use mine at work and listen at low level, so it is nearly perfect for my needs.  I did end up modding my EAR to pump up the juice a bit and get rid of the electrolytics in the output path.  I'm very happy with the results.

As others have said, the MAD amps are an ideal match with many Grado's.  When I want to rock out, those are the cans I reach for.

Best of luck in your search!

Grado HF-2 is ok for this amp? Good for rock and instrumental?
My preference music is acoustic and country, do you think LCD-2 will good for this?

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #7,833 of 9,207
For those with LCD-2F (Fazor Version).  The Vali is really good. The Vali will give you 95% of the Lyr 2 with the top of the line Voskhod/Reflector tubes.   

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #7,834 of 9,207

Grado HF-2 is ok for this amp? Good for rock and instrumental?
My preference music is acoustic and country, do you think LCD-2 will good for this?

I've heard half a dozen different Grados with the MAD amp.  I generally have a problem with Grado comfort, so I rarely listen to mine.  When I do, I tend to crank up the volume and that gets me in trouble at work :wink:  They do rock out!  With the LCD-2's the bass gets a bit flabby when the volume goes up, but the midrange is to-die-for.

Some original RS-1's were about the best I've heard although the PS-1000's were really good too.  Even RS225's were darn nice.  From what I remember, the the HF-2 is less peaky than the RS1 or my current RS1i.  I would think it is probably a good match, but I've never heard it. 

Hope this helps.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #7,836 of 9,207
Would that desktop version be called the iDSD Pro? Do you know any specifics about this unit? Heard only that it was coming out ~ May/June. Any links available?? Thanks for any help.

Yes, I think that's the plan now. Previously the plan is mini iDSD (to differentiate from nano iDSD and micro iDSD).

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #7,837 of 9,207

I've heard half a dozen different Grados with the MAD amp.  I generally have a problem with Grado comfort, so I rarely listen to mine.  When I do, I tend to crank up the volume and that gets me in trouble at work :wink:  They do rock out!  With the LCD-2's the bass gets a bit flabby when the volume goes up, but the midrange is to-die-for.

Some original RS-1's were about the best I've heard although the PS-1000's were really good too.  Even RS225's were darn nice.  From what I remember, the the HF-2 is less peaky than the RS1 or my current RS1i.  I would think it is probably a good match, but I've never heard it. 

Hope this helps.

Nice reply. Thanks mate.
This will help me a lot, I think I'm gonna keep my HF-2 or change to RS-1 and saving more money for LCD-2 later

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #7,838 of 9,207
  Bryston is a smooth sounding amp.  This fellow is looking for more more "grit/bite/crunch in the sound of distorted electric guitars."

I am afraid the Bryston is the wrong amp for him as it can't deliver that; it is a rather polite sounding amp, a very nice amp mind you, but definitely not his cup of tea (espresso?).

I suppose I would have to hear this to know what the heck you are talking about. lol

The Bryston is a very neutral amp. So what the source sends out comes through to the cans. I take it he wants to 'add' color to his music in the form of crunch of an electric guitar?

In any case I wasn't replying to that guy. I was just stopping in to mention that the Bryston is a great amp for the LCD2. In fact i don't even know who you think I was talking to?

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #7,839 of 9,207
After reading through this thread it seems that the fiio x5 will not drive the lcd2 to sufficient levels. I'd like to get a transportable listening station setup at my recliner. So what suggestions are there to pair with the x5 to be able to enjoy the lcd2? I have the ifi micro idsd on hand already btw. Not looking to spend more than around $100 or so. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #7,840 of 9,207
Fiio E12 and Cayin C5 are both portable powerhouses, the C5 has better staging and detail, but is more expensive. Haven't heard either, but they come well recommended from two trusted sources who have both.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #7,842 of 9,207
+1 on the X5/e12 combo. Definately has enough authority for the LCD-2.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #7,845 of 9,207
Assuming the BHA-1 sounds exactly like the O2, which it's designer claims it is in a double blind test he did IIRC, Audiolab 8200CD/CDQ/M-DAC. Its multiple digital filters are just amazing. The best non-digitally (aka analogue) sounding digital filters I've heard and studied. If you want digitally, it has that too. What more can you ask for? The DAC chip, the power supply, the implementation, the CD player, the digital inputs, balanced design, the preamp function, it's a complete package. It's only critique is it has no DSD atm. YMMV though, but that's my honest advise.
can you please explain to me how these filters work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back