Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 23, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #7,636 of 9,207
1 watt (50 Ω, 1 kHz) should be enough to drive the lcd2's
The amp looks nice and solid

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #7,637 of 9,207
  Hi, does anybody here have any experience with the Bakoon HPA-01 combined with the LCD-2.2? I would love to get your feedback here.
I'm thinking of auditioning this amp as possible upgrade for my Mjolnir.
I've read some good reviews, specially for the HPA-01 pared with the LCD 2

I have used the bigger brother (Bakoon HPA-21) with the LCD2/3 and even the HE-6.  No problems in terms of power! 

The Bakoon  HPA-21 has a warm mid-range (dissimilar though from tube warmth) that can do wonder with the PS1000, HD800 and HE-6. It works well with the LCD2/3 but does not necesarily make the best match.  While the incredible resolution and vivid details of the Bakoon can compensate for the slightly veiled sound of the LCD2.2, you may be disappointed coming from the Mjolnir, which adds the much needed sparkles to the LCD sound. The bass impact, while quite good, cam use a bit more slam (bigger power supply?). 

Also remember that the Bakoon does not have the balanced output of the Mjolnir so you have to use the 1/4 plug of you LCD cable.

Assuming that the 01 has the family sound of the 21, I strongly recommend that you audition it first, several times if needed, before purchasing. The Bakoon HPA-21 is a very good amp.  It works well with the LCDs but is not, for my taste, the best match for them.    

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #7,638 of 9,207
Well my quest for a tube amp lead nowhere. Seems I cant get them into the UK without faults, so I'm trying the Mjolnir next week. Hopefully it will manhandle my LCD2s enough to make me stop looking for tube amps.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #7,639 of 9,207
  Well my quest for a tube amp lead nowhere. Seems I cant get them into the UK without faults, so I'm trying the Mjolnir next week. Hopefully it will manhandle my LCD2s enough to make me stop looking for tube amps.

I found the Vioelectric V200 and the Schiit Mjolnir too be two of the best "affordable" amps for the LCD2/LCD3

(See http://www.head-fi.org/t/729976/matching-headphones-cables-amplifiers-harder-than-it-should-be-very-long-post)

If you are in the UK, perhaps you should check out the EAR HP-4:  outstanding tube amp with great bass impact.  The sound will be better but a little "darker" than with the Schiit Mjolnir.   

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #7,640 of 9,207
Thanks Justin I have already read through your article. Contributed to Mjolnir being high on my list. Very enjoyable and useful read. Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd love the HP4 lol, it's £4000 in the UK though. I've looking around the £700-£1500 area. I'm hoping the Mjolnir paired with a warm dac will work for me.

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #7,641 of 9,207
People on headfi love the combo I bet you will too

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #7,642 of 9,207
Been listening to the M/G stack with all three LCD (2.2, 3[c], and X) and the amp and dac have been superlative with all three. Hard to beat really for the money IMHO. Also read that the M with say the M51 dac was really nice too. Someday I would like to audition the Auralic Taurus MkII with the Vega. But for now absolutely no problems with the M/G stack I have. Highly recommended... 

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #7,643 of 9,207
I just bought a Bakoon HPA-01 as a replacement for my Mjolnir 
smily_headphones1.gif

What struck me most with the Bakoon (and made me pull the trigger) was the clarity of the music/sound and all the different layers that I could hear. I lacks a tiny little bit in the lower regions (compared to Mjolnir), but as I'm not a real bass-head, this doesn't bother me. Especially the combination with my vinyl rig is magical. All in all I think this is a real step upwards from the Mjolnir. But looking at the price difference between the 2 amps, I still feel the Mjolnir plays way above it's league (very well done Schiit!!!!)

Crappy blackberry picture:

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #7,644 of 9,207
I just bought a Bakoon HPA-01 as a replacement for my Mjolnir :)

What struck me most with the Bakoon (and made me pull the trigger) was the clarity of the music/sound and all the different layers that I could hear. I lacks a tiny little bit in the lower regions (compared to Mjolnir), but as I'm not a real bass-head, this doesn't bother me. Especially the combination with my vinyl rig is magical. All in all I think this is a real step upwards from the Mjolnir. But looking at the price difference between the 2 amps, I still feel the Mjolnir plays way above it's league (very well done Schiit!!!!)

Crappy blackberry picture:

You are spot on about the relative performance of the two amps with the LCD2.

The Bakoon does something very unusual for a SS. Amp combining warmth in the mid- range with vivid and smooth details. And yes, I fully agree with you again on the sound with vinyl. Simply glorious. Regarding the Bakoon bass, I once again agree; it is a little light--I think this amp needs, no, deserves a bigger power supply, may be even a separate unit. I found that I prefer using the SME to the Avid to get a decent bass with the Bakoon/LCD combo thus giving up the stunning, airy details of the Avid.

The only area my opinion differs from yours is on the value. The Mjolnir's performance with the LCD is fantastic: that is some good Schiit! But it could be fatiguing sometimes--too much of a good thing--and the pairing with other cans besides the LCD are not always as successful. So I think the Mjolnir represents great value with the LCD but only good value overall.

Compared to the sound, features, construction cost and quality of the GS-X Mk2 at exactly the same price, I think the Bakoon is overpriced. That could be just the result of import taxes but from a consumer's view point I would have felt better if the Bakoon is priced around $2,000-$2,500 rather than $3,000. But even at $3,000, I like the unique sound of the Bakoon enough that I am keeping the unit. And that may be the only valid measuring stick.

Enjoy your new toy with the LCD!

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #7,645 of 9,207
You are spot on about the relative performance of the two amps with the LCD2.

The Bakoon does something very unusual for a SS. Amp combining warmth in the mid- range with vivid and smooth details. And yes, I fully agree with you again on the sound with vinyl. Simply glorious. Regarding the Bakoon bass, I once again agree; it is a little light--I think this amp needs, no, deserves a bigger power supply, may be even a separate unit. I found that I prefer using the SME to the Avid to get a decent bass with the Bakoon/LCD combo thus giving up the stunning, airy details of the Avid.

The only area my opinion differs from yours is on the value. The Mjolnir's performance with the LCD is fantastic: that is some good Schiit! But it could be fatiguing sometimes--too much of a good thing--and the pairing with other cans besides the LCD are not always as successful. So I think the Mjolnir represents great value with the LCD but only good value overall.

Compared to the sound, features, construction cost and quality of the GS-X Mk2 at exactly the same price, I think the Bakoon is overpriced. That could be just the result of import taxes but from a consumer's view point I would have felt better if the Bakoon is priced around $2,000-$2,500 rather than $3,000. But even at $3,000, I like the unique sound of the Bakoon enough that I am keeping the unit. And that may be the only valid measuring stick.

Enjoy your new toy with the LCD!

Thanks Justin!

Good to see you have the same experience with Bakoon. But based on your final comments regarding price I think you are referring to the HPA-21, where I'm talking about the HPA-01 (approx. 1800 euro in Netherlands) 
I can't really comment on the Mjolnir with other headphones as I only used them with my LCD's (my Hifi-man HE-400's don't have balanced cables)

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #7,646 of 9,207
Thanks Justin!

Good to see you have the same experience with Bakoon. But based on your final comments regarding price I think you are referring to the HPA-21, where I'm talking about the HPA-01 (approx. 1800 euro in Netherlands) 
I can't really comment on the Mjolnir with other headphones as I only used them with my LCD's (my Hifi-man HE-400's don't have balanced cables)

Wow! The import taxes must be much higher where you are than in the US!

Just for your info, the pairing LCD2/Mjolnir is quite special. The Mjolnir adds the much needed sparkle to the rather "dark" sound of the LCD, especially the original LCD2.

There are very few such synergistic pairings for "affordable" amps. The Grado PS1000/MAD Ear+ HD is another one of them. BTW, the V200 is also a very good match for the LCD2, less exciting than the LCD2/Mjolnir pairing but also more balanced and less fatiguing in the long run

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #7,647 of 9,207
Sep 7, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #7,648 of 9,207
I would highly recommend the M/g schiit stack for the LCD 2/3 I've been using now for just over a year and have never regretting making the plunge.

The synergy between the 3 is amazing and creates a highly immersive listening experience ( best I've ever heard)

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #7,649 of 9,207
I would highly recommend the M/g schiit stack for the LCD 2/3 I've been using now for just over a year and have never regretting making the plunge.

The synergy between the 3 is amazing and creates a highly immersive listening experience ( best I've ever heard)

I can agree with it for the 2 (not the best I have ever heard, but it does sound good), but i think the 3 can get a bit better.  I think that if you are going to spend $2k on a headphone that it deserves a bit more than a $1.5k stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back