Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #7,621 of 9,207
just spare up for hugo u will never regret it, instead of buying things and selling for loss, in the end you will always ask how the hugo sounds and might pull the trigger after you lost on other amps/dacs

yesterday u i just realised how much i made a good decision when i heard the pan am, boy its a night and day difference the hugo is so so so so many light years ahead of pan am

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #7,622 of 9,207
  just spare up for hugo u will never regret it, instead of buying things and selling for loss, in the end you will always ask how the hugo sounds and might pull the trigger after you lost on other amps/dacs

yesterday u i just realised how much i made a good decision when i heard the pan am, boy its a night and day difference the hugo is so so so so many light years ahead of pan am

Are you a Chord salesman or something? I think the guy has said twice now his price range is $500-1000 max? Hugo goes for almost $2500. Might as well just say buy a Woo Audio 234 monoblock and be done with it too, but real people set real budgets and stay within them for a reason.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #7,623 of 9,207

Are you a Chord salesman or something? I think the guy has said twice now his price range is $500-1000 max? Hugo goes for almost $2500. Might as well just say buy a Woo Audio 234 monoblock and be done with it too, but real people set real budgets and stay within them for a reason.

not at all i live in a country where no one besides me has the hugo :) 

but i swear on my life that is exactly how i felt comparing the 2 

i am just telling him my own dam journey that costed was a roller coaster of buying gear then selling for loss until i found what i truly liked. 

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #7,624 of 9,207
Well I've yet to hear the Hugo either but I have heard it is fantastic as well. But if he is considering the E12 I think something similar to it would be a better recommendation as far as jumping up in terms of quality, like maybe the Centrance M8 for example. The Hugo is like the top of the line as far as portable amps go, I think it's silly to get the absolute best right away anyways because you won't even really appreciate how good it is unless you've tried some other things first, just my opinion.

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #7,626 of 9,207
Well, for my budget, the lyr 2 seems like a nice option because it gives an output power of 4 watts @50ohms while the e12 gives just 850mW @32.Audeze recommends 1-4 watts for the LCD 2.

I think that's probably a good idea, the E12 drives them very well, but still not quite as well as real desktop rig will, especially one with some serious power like the Lyr. Also, if you are looking to save some money, and don't mind buying used, I would highly recommend buying the original Lyr from the forums here as there is always one going for a good price on there. The difference's between the two are not that significant from what I've read and you can pick up a used one almost half the price of the Lyr 2 which costs $450. Here is one going for $265 for example, hope you enjoy the Lyr!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728889/lyr-amp-excellent-condition-with-a-set-of-new-tubes-price-dropped

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #7,627 of 9,207
Yeah, but the new Fazor increases efficiency by 3 db/mW... and to get 3 db more sound, you need 2x the Wattage... so those requirements should probably be closer to 0.5W-2W instead for Fazor models, if that's what you have. The E12 probably would be quite hard to beat until much higher price points.

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #7,629 of 9,207
Glad to hear, you certainly will the lyr is a great match for the lcd2

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #7,630 of 9,207
Better amp for the Audeze means airier sound due to the better separation and soundstage, better bass tonality and body, plus all the extension (depending on the amp you lose it) and mid detail/transparency.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #7,631 of 9,207
Thanks guys,this has been quite helpful and I've decided upon a new lyr 2.I wanna get my lcd 2's full worth; I listen mostly to 48,96 and 192/24 flac.

If you haven't bought the amp yet, you could check out my post on High End Forum on my experience  matching headphones , cables and amps.  You may find some helpful info on the LCD2/3 and other headphones as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729976/matching-headphones-cables-amplifiers-harder-than-it-should-be-very-long-post

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #7,632 of 9,207
Ok so for sh1t'5 and giggles I decided to pick up the xDuoo TA-01.  I would have to say with the stock tube this thing is not that bad.  I can easily listen at half volume and it is loud enough with the LCD2'.  I think once i put a gold lion in it the sound should warm up even more.  Question i have for the group the only spec it shows for output is 2100Mw @32 Ohms what do you think it is pushing at 50 Ohms?  I know this is not a class a amp in any way but i am really surprised by the output and lack of that tube hum you get from other low end amp/dac combo's like this. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #7,633 of 9,207
For anyone thinking of a headphone amp for the LCD-2 should seriously consider the Musical Paradise MP-401 mk2.  From my experience with my previous amps, nothing comes close to the sound of this amp.  Just the headphone section alone is worth the asking price.  But as a bonus, you get a beautiful sounding 18 watts SET tube speaker amp.
Just like everyone here, my headphone amp roller coaster ride took me from iBasso PB-2 to Woo Audio amps and Schiit Mjolner.  Took a chance with the MP-401 mk2 and ordered it.  I am glad that I did cause after 2 months of ownership, the sound amazes me every time I listen to it.  This amp is the end game for me as an amp for the LCD-2.   

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #7,634 of 9,207
sounds like me and my pan am, :wink:

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #7,635 of 9,207
Hi, does anybody here have any experience with the Bakoon HPA-01 combined with the LCD-2.2? I would love to get your feedback here.
I'm thinking of auditioning this amp as possible upgrade for my Mjolnir.
I've read some good reviews, specially for the HPA-01 pared with the LCD 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back