Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #8,986 of 9,207
I was using a mojo as well up until recently. Bought a questyle cma-400i and in my ears this is a perfect match for the lcd-2's. Still using the mojo when I'm not at home.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #8,987 of 9,207
I’m using the chord mojo, I’ve been using it for around two months now and I can say I’m very happy with it. Maybe that’s because it’s quite portable.
Chord Mojo is quite a capable amp in itself. I preferred it over Jotunheim. Mojo has more finesse in the top end. The Mojo DAC is really nice with almost warm sound but with great detail. The V200 really pairs well with Mojo, giving the LCD some additional power for a more controlled bass. The LCD2.2 works quite well with lower powered amps as well but with the additional power, the sound just transforms to another level.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #8,993 of 9,207
Regarding your request for decent amp plus good looks, I understand! If you are a big tube fan like me, (loved my Woo WA6-SE and regret selling it!), and want to stay around $200, you might look at this: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/little...ontent=1553600504083.115956759934194043189282 . I've not tried one, but read about them over the years. With a tube input stage and SS output, it has high power, and at least in my opinion, a nice looking amp.

Hope that helps!

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #8,994 of 9,207
Regarding your request for decent amp plus good looks, I understand! If you are a big tube fan like me, (loved my Woo WA6-SE and regret selling it!), and want to stay around $200, you might look at this: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/littledot-tube-amp?utm_placement=0&referer=3WJN3T&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2019-03-26&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1553600504083.115956759934194043189282 . I've not tried one, but read about them over the years. With a tube input stage and SS output, it has high power, and at least in my opinion, a nice looking amp.

Hope that helps!
That looks very interesting, unfortunately I'd have to pay quite some taxes to get it to EU :frowning2: But thanks for the tip, it does look very nice!

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #8,995 of 9,207
That looks very interesting, unfortunately I'd have to pay quite some taxes to get it to EU :frowning2: But thanks for the tip, it does look very nice!
Just look the littledot up on ebay. You can also consider the Schiit Asgard:
https://www.schiit.com/public/uploa...humbnail_product_mobile/Asgard-2-top-1920.jpg

I don't own one but I hear it pairs well with the LCD2 if you're looking for just a touch of warmth, or rather not losing the LCD2s character.

Many say the LCD2s are not amp-nitpicking headphones. However I don't think it is really true in my case. The LCD2s go from OK headphones to great headphones depended on what amp they are plugged-in. I think the HD800s go from terrible ones.
I like my LCD-2s to pair with warm to neutral ss amps. SS amps with rich-mids and natural-sounding characteristic will show the full potency of the LCD2s.

Agreed 100%. I used the ican SE for a while at home and wanted a signature more in between the bass switch and not so overwhelming.
I traded in my HE400i and ican SE for a questyle CMA400i to power the LCD2 and it's been a regret since. I did audition the combo on a different pair of LCD2, but at that point I wasn't spoiled yet by the iCan SE pairing I used at home for a while with my LCD2f 2016.

I'm currently eyeballing the schiit asgard and violectric v200. Any ideas if these will cut what I'm looking for?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #8,996 of 9,207
ican SE...., I found the treble on it to dominate as volume was ramped up.

Jun 2, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #8,997 of 9,207
ican SE...., I found the treble on it to dominate as volume was ramped up.
I didn't get that impression on mine, but there was some grain to it from what I remember that I don't see as a positive. I just got spoiled by the low end as I often used one bass tick on the amp, but I'd rather have a less overwhelming signature. I currently quite like the littledotmk2 that I do still have, so that's where the potential upgrade to a violectric V200 comes in.

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #8,998 of 9,207
I didn't get that impression on mine, but there was some grain to it from what I remember that I don't see as a positive. I just got spoiled by the low end as I often used one bass tick on the amp, but I'd rather have a less overwhelming signature. I currently quite like the littledotmk2 that I do still have, so that's where the potential upgrade to a violectric V200 comes in.
Yep, slight graininess as well. Wonder if anyone paired the Emotiva BasX A-100 amp with Audeze cans, its SE front output is the same as the speaker output watts if you adjust it inside...crazy amout of power more matched to old school LCD-2.1 and HFM HE-6 !!

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #8,999 of 9,207
Over the years I have bought and sold multiple headphone amps and even though I don't own this any longer I still say that the Garage1217 Ember II is one of the nicest and most powerful little amps for the LCD2. The Ember is so good that I bought it twice. I sold both though to make room for other amps but whenever i pull out the LCD2 for a listen; I think back to the Ember and miss it.

Another amp i sold (to a member here I think) was a Bryston BHA-1 and it too was a great amp for the LCD2. Preferring tubes though I sold the Bryston. I have a couple of custom made amps that work well with the LCD's but no sense in posting them since you can't buy 'em. The Garage1217 Polaris (which i still own and use) is yet another great (small) SS amp that works wonderful with the LCD2.

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #9,000 of 9,207
Did you ever try Project Sunrise 3..? I think a couple people recommended that one for LCD to me over Ember 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back