Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #8,266 of 9,207
b) As for the DAC, I'm leaning towards the Gungnir. Question - multi bit or standard Gungnir? I'm still confused as to what difference it makes in the ultimate sound quality.  
c) Do I need an USB interface such as the Schiit Wyrd? It's $99, and I don't want to cut corners at this point.

d) Last but not least (in fact the most important), could I possibly get a better setup for my money instead of an LCD-2+Gungnir+Mjolnir setup? I've opened up a new thread here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/780582/best-summit-fi-end-game-setup-for-3000) in order to find out. So please provide me with your valuable input and help me reach a decision.

b.) Multibit uses R2R chips instead of chips that use D-S approximation, which some say results on a smoother, more natural sound without as much glare in the treble. I can't comment on that, as I've only heard D-S ES9018 chips.

c.) That's really system dependant. I'd probably say yes if you're using a USB cable length over 6' in total. Otherwise, it just depends on if your DAC uses the +5V from your PC PSU or not, and how clean or not that is.

d.) I'd personally look into the LCD-X or 3, and buy a cheaper DAC/amp combo (I love my NFB-28, the NFB-29 would be great). Headphones >> gear... but also IME there's no clear winner amongst the LCD models. I basically like the X>2.2=2.2F>3>XC.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #8,268 of 9,207
Yes you can sum them, by inverting the - into a +. Like I said, I'm not really sure what summing means or why it's used (if that's how they do it at all),,, but I'm told that's how most balanced amps with SE outputs work.

I did do a little experiment a while ago with the BHA-1 to see I could indeed run a single ended headphone cable from the 4 pin balanced out, can’t remember why though (believe it was for my AKG K712s), but what happens as the left and right channel’s + and –‘s are discrete to those channels, at least with the Bryston BHA-1, what happens depending which minus one uses one gets let say one normal channel and sum of the left and right signal in the other channel., if one were to sum/combine the two –‘s the overall output would give you a mono signal instead of stereo.

........................ Also, you can connect the headphone cable shield to the ground pin1 on the 3-pin XLR balanced connector sometimes.

This you can do.

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #8,269 of 9,207
  I did do a little experiment a while ago with the BHA-1 to see I could indeed run a single ended headphone cable from the 4 pin balanced out, can’t remember why though (believe it was for my AKG K712s), but what happens as the left and right channel’s + and –‘s are discrete to those channels, at least with the Bryston BHA-1, what happens depending which minus one uses one gets let say one normal channel and sum of the left and right signal in the other channel., if one were to sum/combine the two –‘s the overall output would give you a mono signal instead of stereo.

What you  could do is build an adapter cable where it's TRS to 4-pin XLR, use the 2 + channels for L & R, and then tie the sleeve ground to the chassis of the 4-pin XLR and that should act as a common ground (assuming Bryston grounded the female end's chassis per the 4-pin XLR spec, which is 50/50.) But ya, that's off-topic, haha.

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #8,270 of 9,207
  What you  could do is build an adapter cable where it's TRS to 4-pin XLR, use the 2 + channels for L & R, and then tie the sleeve ground to the chassis of the 4-pin XLR and that should act as a common ground (assuming Bryston grounded the female end's chassis per the 4-pin XLR spec, which is 50/50.) But ya, that's off-topic, haha.

Tried that but the output for the 4 pin XLR is isolated from the chassis, could have used the dual 3 pin XLRs and used pin 1 as the common ground.
IMHO not really off topic as we're really looking at different ways to get the most from our LCD-2s and an amp and cable are sort of essential.
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #8,271 of 9,207
  Thank you, but I was hoping to get something MUCH cheaper.

So I'll rephrase - what is the CHEAPEST amp that will sufficiently power an LCD-2?

Thank you.

Thanks a lot for the links, @CanadianMaestro. They were very informative.
Thanks for your valuable input, @MRC001
Thank you for your detailed response, @BassDigger

----------------------------------------------------
Now, after having processed all that information, I have a few questions, and some more assistance to ask of. Please note that I'm maintaining the end-game stance in the following opinions.

a) SS, tube, hybrid? No problem, since I'm leaning very much towards the Mjolnir 2 right now. Question - what's the difference between different tubes (LISST, 6B27 etc.) and which one(s) should I get?

b) As for the DAC, I'm leaning towards the Gungnir. Question - multi bit or standard Gungnir? I'm still confused as to what difference it makes in the ultimate sound quality.

c) Do I need an USB interface such as the Schiit Wyrd? It's $99, and I don't want to cut corners at this point.

d) Last but not least (in fact the most important), could I possibly get a better setup for my money instead of an LCD-2+Gungnir+Mjolnir setup? I've opened up a new thread here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/780582/best-summit-fi-end-game-setup-for-3000) in order to find out. So please provide me with your valuable input and help me reach a decision.

Thank you all very much for your kind cooperation. I really am grateful for your hospitality.

Your original question was a very good one!

Fair play for both your appreciation of the responses and starting a new thread. But those goal posts (remit, budget and topic) haven't half moved! 
blink.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #8,272 of 9,207
  I bought my LCD3 headphone from bay bloor radio, Toronto. I need to know about external amp. From where exactly I can get it?

Hello Doris. Welcome. (It'd be a sensible precaution to remove your surname from your introductory post; you never know; all kinds of people lurking around on the internet! Just click on the pencil icon in the bottom left corner, and you can edit your post). 

Regarding your questions:
  • That's what this thread is all about. (Is there an lcd3 amp thread? I dunno) Rather than posting such an open question, I'd suggest that you read around, and start forming an idea about your budget and preferences. But yes, you'll definitely need an amp, to get the best out of the lcd3. But I'd suggest that you'll need to spend at least $1000, on an amp, to do justice to them.
  • This is the internet; I'm sure that it'll become very apparent when you start doing some research. But as always, once you've decided what you want, shop around; there's always a big variety of prices (and versions, if you're ok with Chinese clones) of the same thing.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #8,273 of 9,207
  I bought my LCD3 headphone from bay bloor radio, Toronto. I need to know about external amp. From where exactly I can get it?

Hi Doris

Well… first off welcome to Head-Fi.

BBR do have a few amps on hand, bought my Sennheiser HD800s from them around this time last year… did you audition the LCD-3s before buying and if so what did you try them on.
I was actually there a few weeks ago to audition the 2.2Fs off their Bryston BHA-1, which I have, so I had a good grasp of what they were capable of and can highly recommend the Bryston /Audeze combo if it’s within your budget.

But I am surprised you’ve jumped into the deep end with the LCD-3s without prior knowledge of heads-amps.... I just recently joined the Audeze club with a pair of used 2.2s pre fazor.... but hey you've got to start somewhere.
smile.gif

Robert

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #8,274 of 9,207
I can't really see why LCD3s necessarily "need" a +1000 dollar amp - aren't there many amps with very good specs for less money? Educate me too :)

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #8,275 of 9,207
^ +1.  My LCD-2.2 sounded great out of a used Burson Soloist a few yrs ago. I suspect/expect LCD-3 should do the same.
With planars, however, choose your amp carefully with due regard to mW output ratings.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #8,276 of 9,207
What exactly is a very expensive amp going to do that the cheaper ones don't? (Even the most pricey parts are not gonna be expensive for the manufacturer, really.) I believe specs such as SNR, THD, power and output impedance are the most meaningful things to consider, not the price.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #8,278 of 9,207
  Listening to amps/HPs will best answer your question. Synergy is important, and often defies specs on paper and pricing.

Yeah, I guess you're right. One thing that makes a big difference too is the overall feel of the amp - does it look good, work well and hence, have an "aura" of good sound? An ugly cheapo amp might not do that for a lot of people, even if the sound is very good. There's that feeling of an amp being "enough", that's when you get some piece of mind with it.

I realize this is what I'm going through with the Lyr 2. Maybe the Asgard 2 would have been all I need, but I'd second guess what I hear too much. Damn Head-fi! :D

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #8,279 of 9,207
Enjoy the music first, sound analysis and looks last. 
beerchug.gif

But I hear ya about the amp's sonic qualities. Just don't let them overwhelm the musicality, in the end.

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #8,280 of 9,207
  ...................... Synergy is important, ...............

With my setup the Bryston BHA-1 and LCD-2.2s have so far displayed a nice synergy, I’m running them balanced which may or may not make a huge difference, I‘ll try them once more unbalanced once their signature is properly etched into my memory
basshead.gif
…  but what I can say so far is that I’m surprised by the amount of  stage width and depth which is contrary from I’ve read…so a nice surprise…not too different from my HD700s..but richer and fuller..the Senns having more extended treble produce more distinct layering and image separation and special cues.  The LCD2.2s are slightly more natural sounding timbre wise from many of my past headphones, base is extremely well executed, as is the midrange, the only thing they do lack is extended treble, which is to be expected just by glancing at their supplied frequency chart, which is not sorely missed and has been addressed to some degree with the inclusion of the fazor or one moves up to the LCD-3s.
How much my overall impressions are on account of powering them off the BHA-1, my main source is also a Bryson BCD-1….but from what I’ve read and experienced so the Audeze/Bryston pairing is somewhat unanimous, but I’m sure other setups will produce similar impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back